1991 Alumacraft Trophy 170 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

macholeo

Cadet
First of all I love this website. I really enjoy reading all of your restorations.

I'm starting on my 1992 Alumacraft Trophy Rebuild. I bought this boat on EBAY and on vacation picked it up in Florida. It looked alot better in pictures than in person. But for $500, beggers can't be choosers. My son and I are really fired up to begin work on this on....

Upon return home with inspected our catch. The floor is basically mush, transom is very 'squishy' in one spot. However, no dents, and aluminum seams to be in good condition. My son Parker is randomly naming the boat and may be more excited than me.

We have tore out the floor, carpet, consoles, and fuel tank. I was surprised, the fuel tank is 80" + long?

I'll start posting some pics of our process. some foam to remove and we'll be to a bare aluminum boat.

The consoles are in bad shape, sun faded and brittle. Any suggestions on rebuilding, buying or building my own?

I have a 115 hp yamaha for this one that I received from another boat I purchased. 16' viking deck boat. Maybe or future project.

macholeo

Cadet
Re: 1991 Alumacraft Trophy 170 Rebuild

We ripped out the seats, rotted wood/carpet, and soaked foam. There was carpet on all the inner walls of the boat and all the inside of the bow. Should I replace all this carpet?

Also, is the foam in this boat structural at all or can I replace it with noodles or foam board?

Any ideas on consoles? Can you buy these anymore or should I consider building some?

Thanks,

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey neighbor, welcome to iboats!

Let's see some photos of whatcha got there;)

On your carpet - you can put it back if you like or leave if off if you'd rather, totally up to you.

Foam - noodles or pink/blue foam is preferred for drainage purposes.

Consoles - very much dictated by your skills and budget. Your originals, what material were they made of? Are ya sure they can't be rehabbed?

Welcome!:D

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Remember the foam was for flotation in case of a disaster. It might be slightly structural but ususally is not The pink foam is fine for that purpose it's closed cell but it does NOT like fuel. A little gas will dissolve it before your very eyes. polyurethane is the best choice but quite expensive. Those little spray cans used for insulation and sealing are not a bad choice but also kinda expensive.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can reduce the cost of the 2 part pourable urethane by using it in conjunction with the blue or fink foam. Sandwich the sheet foam with pourable on bottom and top, and fill small voids with the pourable. The pourable foam acts as an adhesive when poured first and then a piece of sheet foam is pressed on top of it, this will secure your foam to your hull and eliminate the rattling of loose foam in the bilge.

Pouring another layer on top of the sheet foam will protect it from fuel and other contaminants and encapsulate it.

macholeo

Cadet

You can reduce the cost of the 2 part pourable urethane by using it in conjunction with the blue or fink foam. Sandwich the sheet foam with pourable on bottom and top, and fill small voids with the pourable. The pourable foam acts as an adhesive when poured first and then a piece of sheet foam is pressed on top of it, this will secure your foam to your hull and eliminate the rattling of loose foam in the bilge.

Pouring another layer on top of the sheet foam will protect it from fuel and other contaminants and encapsulate it.

Thanks all! The consoles are quite brittle. Wondering if i can "glue" the cracks and seal over the entire things for strength.

I Like the pink foam and pourable foam filler idea. I was checking expenses on the pourable foam and that would get expensive quick.

I'll get some photos on soon. I took a bunch in the garage but they are pretty dark and hard to see anything.

macholeo

Cadet

Im working on the transom now. I tore into it and found it to be quite rotten. Also....could be a big problem. There are ALOT of drilled holes in the transom where I'm assuming motors have been mounted. What do you think the best bet to fix them is?

The transom wood is 2 inches thick. I'm purchasing exterior grade 3/4 inch ply and 1/2 inch ply to laminate together with titebond III. I plan on coating with low viscosity epoxy.

Last edited:

axlr8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hate dragging up an old thread, but did you finish this boat??? Im working on a 1989 Trophy 170 currently and would like to see some pictures of how yours turned out! macholeo

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hate dragging up an old thread, but did you finish this boat??? Im working on a 1989 Trophy 170 currently and would like to see some pictures of how yours turned out! macholeo

Then don't drag it up. If he hasn't updated in near to 5 years, he won't be doing it now,

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.