1969 Kenner Kencraft 19ft SkiBarge First Time Ever Restoration & Remodel

James Morton

Cadet
Hello everyone. I may be calling to you looking for some help. I will be doing a complete restoration of a 1969 KenCraft 19Ft center console SkiBarge. I have never really messed with fiberglass or done any cosmetic boat repairs. Can usually get a motor running but thats the only part of a boat I have worked on. Will Post pics when I get it figured out. I have already removed the console, transom, and floor. My beginning question is about the floor/deck. Should the new deck grain go longways, or crossways? Then when I read to glass the deck top and bottom, does that mean mat and resin on top and bottom or just resin on the bottom with no mat?:cool::confused:

James Morton

Cadet
Re: 1969 Kenner Kencraft 19ft SkiBarge First Time Ever Restoration & Remodel

My second question is I read somewhere that the deck should not but up snug to the sides. Is this true?

James Morton

Cadet

I will be using 3/4 Fir for the transom. X2 and glassing it in.

James Morton

Cadet

I believe I will be using 1/2 fir for the floor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is this a Glass or a Tin Boat?

James Morton

Cadet

It is a glass boat. It looks tin I even thought it was when I stopped to look at it before I bought it, but it is glass. I have more pics to post, just have little time to actually get on here.

James Morton

Cadet

Just making sure I did not post in the wrong area. Im not getting much feedback. Any help would be appreciated.

James Morton

Cadet

still working on the boat I have rebuilt the transom. I have started glassing the stringers what a pain glassing stringers is. Oh well time to work on it is the hardest to come by but when i do all is fun except for grinding

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Add more pictures. I do know that Kenner Ski Barges were heavy even when new and I have not seen the stringer layout inside.

I have a friend that built one 20 years ago and tried to start his own local tow company (which did not work)on a small lake. All he accomplished was to have a heavy boat with a thirsty engine that eventually went to a scrap pile.

Please a few more pictures ;)

jmorson

Cadet

I'd love to see some pics. I have a ski barge rebuild too, but haven't had a chance to get started on it yet. Would really like to see and hear more about how your project is coming along!

nauditq

Recruit

I to have started a skiBarge rebuild, and am moving kinda slow. Found the prev.owner used 1/2"PT plywood on the deck and after sitting in the elements, the white foam and ply was water saturated. Boat was way heavy so all is removed and drying. Amazing how much water can get absorbed.
If you have not seen the specs, here is a link showing the sales brochure from 1967 and 1974. Mine is a
I found a lot of good info and really like the pic in there of a 20ftr hauling a vw and tyrio of skiers with a claimed 60 hp.
http://members.quicknet.nl/wjm.kooijman/
I have a 16 ft. tarpon barge and grabbed a cheap 30 hp tiller I am gonna try and use.
And, yes, I have read the ply should have a gap followed by a fillet of PB and glass layers, like a stringer.
I guess if butted to the glass, will cause a hardspot in the glass causing spider cracks or worse?
My boat is a 76 and on the title it says Hull Material "Aluminum" but I can assure you it is Fiberglass.
Must be the funky square railing fab. Don't loose it, I undid the railing, and was shocked at how flimsy the side became.
Like others, I would love to see some pics.

James Morton

Cadet

I will see if I can get some more pictures on here tomorrow. I will try to work on it some in the morning.
kenner boat resto 001.jpgkenner boat resto 014.jpgkenner boat resto 001.jpgkenner boat resto 014.jpgkenner boat resto 005.jpg

James Morton

Cadet

I have pictures with the deck removed they are just not on my computer yet.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

That is one cool boat!!!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is one cool boat for sure! I look forward to watching this one!

jmorson

Cadet

Very Cool. Thanks for the pics... and nauditq, thanks for that link to info on the boat. Mine is a 19ft fishin ski barge flats fisher. I posted some pics on a thread I started a while back, but haven't gotten around to starting the rebuild. Hoping to get to it this Fall and will post some pics when I do.