1966 Black Sea Ray SRV-170 w/Outboard Mercury

bgrave1

Recruit
I just picked this boat up the other night just down the road from me.

From what I can tell, this color combination is not exactly common.

As you can see in the pics, the interior is basically gone. I am debating whether to put all red seats and vinyl back or maybe modernize it a bit. I imagine finding the originals would be a tough one.

The older mercury 800 Thunderbolt has a bit of an issue with falling on its face during acceleration. I was thinking that it may be sucking air somewhere. The compression is good on all 4 cylinders and the fuel system does not appear to have any issues. May need a bit further investigation.

If anyone else has an older Sea Ray with the black and red combination, I would really appreciate some pics and info.

I felt like I could not pass this one up. Having such high sides should be really good for stability.

Thanks for any input here guys and gals.

I am a total newbie on here but have been around boats most of my life.

Bob Grave
St. Clair, MI

Attachments

• Searayb66008.jpg
    Searayb66008.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sr170-1.jpg
    sr170-1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sr170-2.jpg
    sr170-2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sr170-3.jpg
    sr170-3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • sr170-4.jpg
    sr170-4.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1966 Black Sea Ray SRV-170 w/Outboard Mercury

Welocome to iBoats BG!

Good looking boat, I don't know how common it is but it sure is sharp. I like it! If you have a bit of woodworking skills those factory seats could be replicated fairly easily. Add some sewing skills and they'll be covered, however this part can be farmed out. Even if not a perfect match you can get close and get the feel.

To get started the two good threads on the subject I've watched are Woodonglass' and Andgott's I'm sure there are more that a search would turn up or others will chime in.

As for the Merc throw a post in the Mer/Mariner section as engine topics tend to get better results in there respective forums.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Manput that old girl back to original that is just pure class! The black and red is realy sharp. To bad that old merc isn't a tower of power. Looking forward to your progress on her.

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dude that thing rocks! Love the black.

rickyclay

Recruit

I just picked this boat up the other night just down the road from me.

From what I can tell, this color combination is not exactly common.

As you can see in the pics, the interior is basically gone. I am debating whether to put all red seats and vinyl back or maybe modernize it a bit. I imagine finding the originals would be a tough one.

The older mercury 800 Thunderbolt has a bit of an issue with falling on its face during acceleration. I was thinking that it may be sucking air somewhere. The compression is good on all 4 cylinders and the fuel system does not appear to have any issues. May need a bit further investigation.

If anyone else has an older Sea Ray with the black and red combination, I would really appreciate some pics and info.

I felt like I could not pass this one up. Having such high sides should be really good for stability.

Thanks for any input here guys and gals.

I am a total newbie on here but have been around boats most of my life.

Bob Grave
St. Clair, MI

I have the same boat!!!!! I live in Port Huron its actually a 1969 srv 170
contact me Bob here is my e-mail richardclay1977@yahoo.com

SDSeville

Lieutenant

That is one sweet boat! Don't modernize. Restore to original.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the hottie in the boat is now an old lady, she might still be hot.:)

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Speaking of hot, I love the black but I bet you can fry an egg on it on a sunny day in July.

I agree with everyone else..........restore it to original. That's a very neat boat. Great find!