Turn a Bow Rider into a FISH AND SKI? Is this possible?

frankrom

Cadet
Hi Guys!

In Ontario I am finding limited options for a half decent fish and ski. I am not completely sold on a tahoe and that seems to be one of the main options.

Let me tell you... I am finding a lot of nice bow riders that I wish had a fish and ski package!!

Some of the fish and ski packages which I have interest in are more so interest because of the lack of options. So i was thinking... if i found a nice bow rider that was screaming buy me! Is there a way I can take the boat to basspro? or a marina and have them install a trolling motor on the front? pedestal steals in the front and rear? I could get an external live well as most of the live wells on these fish and ski are small anyways.

Then it would have all i need for it to be a fish and ski!

I would not want it to look like a hack job! I would want it to look professional so if it will look like crap then I am not interested.

Also any idea what this would cost?

Please share some thoughts!

Thanks

BonairII

Commander
Re: Turn a Bow Rider into a FISH AND SKI? Is this possible?

I would guess that getting a trolling motor etc installed wouldn't be a problem. Not going to be cheap, I'd imagine. If they have to fabricate anything, the price will go up dramatically.

Just call around and get a few estimates before you bring it in...or you'll end up paying way more than you planned on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

here is what I saw on a searay 180 BR a while back at local dealer and duplicated it on my Avanti.

take the bow cushions off, and measure the area for a piece of 3/4 plywood to sit over the bow area (make a cardboard template). cover both sides with carpeting that matches the boat, and install a pedestal and seat in the center (same color as the boat seats). put two hatches so they can access the storage areas under the bow cushions. My cooler would fit under the platform in the footwell area.

for the rear, I made a trolling board that crossed the back of the boat and anchored to the cleats with j-hooks and wing nuts. (on my searay, I modified the trolling board to strap to the sun platform).

it took me about 3 minutes to convert from fishing rig to family hauling / skiing and tubing rig with someone helping. about 10 minutes to do it myself. Wish I had taken pictures

cost was approx:
plywood - $42
Pedestal mount - $26
Pedestal seat - $65
Hatches - $120
carpeting - $45
carpet glue - $15
hardware - $30

2 x 6 for trolling board - $10
rod holders - $100
J-bolts, wing nuts - $9

Now, if you wanted to mount a trolling motor in the front, you could build a riser and add that to the platform.

I did find a few similar rigs with google

http://i42.tinypic.com/2dj1b1k.jpg

http://www.boatcountryusa.com/images/Reinell fish and ski.jpg

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/ap...d3aa5548332c5092e060c9f002a_KamModa5000_1.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

frank......if you brought me a bowrider to convert to a fish and ski.....the above is EXACTLY what i would do and charge you big dollars for it.

frankrom

Cadet

I talked to bass pro and they made it sound as if they couldn't do it... they said you pretty much cant get a trolling motor on the front of a boat that was not designed to be a fish and ski as that is done before manufacturing.

Argh!?!?