Aluminum Closed end rivets for aluminum hull repair

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class
Based on what I have been able to find for rivets, all of them that are larger than 3/16 have steel mandrels. Will these work for a hull repair being that the mandrel breaks off inside the rivet, and will rust?

What do people typically use? Where is the best place to buy?

Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Aluminum Closed end rivets for aluminum hull repair

use them and you will be fine.

That is what we are all using and there really is not enough time in our lives to worry about that rust and you can dab 5200 on the inside of the rivet after installed.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you both

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you guys think of these ? dosed in some 5200 of course:D

IMAG0312.jpg

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found a box of each, they are froma company in texas. They are supposed to be for fixing a doorglass to the slide on a regulator arm in car doors. Would they be okay for rplacing rivots?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I found a box of each, they are froma company in texas. They are supposed to be for fixing a doorglass to the slide on a regulator arm in car doors. Would they be okay for rplacing rivots?

No way, those are open end rivets and will leak.

When the mandrel pulls the ball up the sleeve it will make a void in the sealant.

They also aren't nearly as strong as closed end rivets.

They'll work on some very minor repairs above the water line inside the boat, but their strength will leave a lot to be desired.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I used some 1/4" dia closed end rivets this weekend....sometimes there is a sharp protrusion from the broken metal madrel sticking out of the aluminum head... you might need to( or at least want to) grind that down, then put a dab of 5200 on the top. they say the metal mandrels on the aluminum head rivets are coated.... I am not sure with what though...

I am assuming to keep them from rusting....maybe it is only while they sit in a box for years prior to being used....who knows

bob

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just ordered them. Thanks guys

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

same here, cant wait till they get here..!

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, when you actually get to installing them, I personally would go with an epoxy such as Loc-tite marine or similar as Jig suggests vs 5200. I just went through this process myself using 5200 to dip the tips and fill the mandrel holes etc, and I am not happy with the way it adheres to the aluminum...IMO

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, when you actually get to installing them, I personally would go with an epoxy such as Loc-tite marine or similar as Jig suggests vs 5200. I just went through this process myself using 5200 to dip the tips and fill the mandrel holes etc, and I am not happy with the way it adheres to the aluminum...IMO
Ive only ever heard good things about 5200, but this makes sense. At work, ive notices how several different types a caulking doesnt reall bond well on alum pop rivots. Thanks for heads up.
After ordering rivots, i went to harbor frieghts website and ordered a big rivot gun. having it shipped was cheaper than driving to the closest store to pick one up! Besides, i have to wait on my rivots to get here anyway!

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip efdog. I just ordered up some flex set.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would there be a problem with using standard 5 min epoxy here?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Would there be a problem with using standard 5 min epoxy here?

Only down side I can see is that you'll have to work fast if you have a lot of rivets and may not get them all filled with the first batch.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only down side I can see is that you'll have to work fast if you have a lot of rivets and may not get them all filled with the first batch.

Thank you

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

I buy all of my rivets from here:

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

good prices and service.

I install all of my rivets like this and just take a dab of the epoxy that the rivet is dipped in before being set and fill the mandrel hole after setting, no need to worry about rust if water can't get to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

Where can I find a HD rivet gun like the one in this video????

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Where can I find a HD rivet gun like the one in this video????

funny the guy in the video says he starts off with a 7 mm dia drill as a pilot before he drills the 1/4" dia drill!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

maybe he ment 6 mm!

I bought one of those heavy duty rivet guns like in the video from a fastener house...it was about $35.....it is junk....the three jaws in the "chuck" portion that grabs the rivet shank twisted out of alignment...what a pain to take that thing apart.......it all goes together to rough......

but after i took it all apart and re assembled...it has been working fine....but it wasnt fun....

bob

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow, ordered rivots on tues morn, got them wed afternoon! just waiting on rivot gun and have to pick up some marine epoxy! Hoping to get both tomorrow!