1988 Wellcraft 210 Classic XL Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went head first on this one. '88 Wellcraft 210 with a 5.7L Mercruiser. Alpha drive. The PO couldn't afford to properly shelter it, and it was very obvious by just walking around in the boat. They had layered over the rotting floor and re-carpeted it. I had to gut the entire boat. Even the circuitry to the original guages was coroded. Fortunately the work the PO did have outsourced was the engine maintenenace. The bottom end is rock solid, so I will freshen it up a little bit with some modern marine tech. The trailer is in great shape. I will change the rollers and give it a sand blast and paintjob once the boat is ready to splash. I'll try to keep up on photos and progress if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1987DS.jpgIMG_1998DS.jpgIMG_2004DS.jpgIMG_1997DS.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 Wellcraft 210 Classic XL Restoration

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Looks like she's got Potential,...

Her lines are close to the '85 Nova 230 in my driveway...

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet, another Wellcrafter!

Thanks Bond-o. Pleasure to meet you.

I had a chance to get a 86 Nova but I couldn't smash the piggy bank fast enough. Someone else snatched it up the same day I found it, but I think this classic will do. I love the lines, they make it hard to say "No."

This is my first restoration without the help of my brothers. They're just watching this time.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor is out. Nothing really cool to show pics of. However, it's a tradition in my shop to Dyno the old motor before disassembly. It was making a steady 255Hp and just shy of 1 ft lb per cube on the torque. Not bad at all for an 88. The air temp in the shop was 61 F.

Should be a nice few days coming up to don the bunny suit and grind some glass. The gears are really turning on the cabin and interior rebuild.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While I waited for the next thunderstorms to go through, I gave the exterior some TLC with the pin stripe remover. The powerplant after dyno runs and before it gets a refreshing.

IMG_2020DS.jpgIMG_2025DS.jpgIMG_2008DS.jpg

rickryder

Commander

Nice looking boat! Welcome Capt. Looks like ya got a nice project going on there ;)

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you sir, nothing like the looks of the late 80's vessels right?! :D
It's gonna be my little hot rod boat. First restore I've done for myself, I'm pretty stoked.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to see another 80's welcraft restore! The lines of these boats are hard to beat

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Several years ago I built a 7 second drag car and didn't align the motor mounts properly. It cost me almost $1200 to redo because I had to replace an entire rail and get it re-certified. We all learn from mistakes but that one hurt! So I came up with a primitive 'Johnny Jig' to provide a reality check for re-installing engine mounts. Since I can't leave any SBC stock, I don't want to have to re-drill any extra holes in the new motor platforms I make.

Safety first, the old ragged cover makes a great tent with a dust collector with 'glass bags' (higher micron count). Along with a fresh-air bunny suit, there will be no itching, and healthy lungs. Farts are not an option!

I have 90% of the primary gut done. Measurments and then the fun part- GRINDING.

IMG_2027DS.jpgIMG_2034DS.jpgIMG_2035DS.jpgIMG_2036DS.jpg

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to see another 80's welcraft restore! The lines of these boats are hard to beat

The big T, how's your fine vessel coming along chief? I've been keeping tabs on your thread. Best be careful, as good of a job as you're doing, you might get hit up for some business! Hehehe :D

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its going just fine capt'n! I'm getting mentally prepared to pour in some foam right now (in other words, I'm surfing iboats to get some inspiration haha) i hope i don't get hit up for business i can't even handle my own boat right now! all my buds keep saying man i can't wait till my boat breaks I'm just going to drop it off at your house :facepalm: I will be sure to follow your resto and see how she turns out. shoot me a pm if ya got any questions

Friscoboater

Captain

I am looking forward to this build. I love that jig you built

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, thanks fellas. We all have some tricks of the trade, I know you guys do! :D I am kinda bummed that I didn't discover the vibra tool sooner in my life. You'd think that an avid wood worker would be up on his tool tech? I love that thing.

I have gotten quite a few PM's about costs and why would I put money into this boat. I appologize if I was a jerk to anyone by not answering you. There were some really good Q's, and some that were lacking manners. I'll PM you guys when I'm done with the project for a realistic figure, but you gotta remember that this is MY boat and I'm gonna be spending some loot on some unneccessary upgrades.

I'm sorry it's not for sale, I made a promise to the PO's! Maybe when I die my wife will sell it.. :D

I'll post some pics of the progress later this week. The boat is completely gutted, I just have to finish grinding and measuring for stringer fab.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_2043DS.jpgIMG_2046DS.jpgIMG_2049DS.jpg

With dust and without dust. Since there really isn't anything left in the boat, I let the power washer help me out a bit. I ground down a lot of the old stringer glass, but I've got a little more to go. I filled up a 40 gallon bag on the dust collector, I bet it weighed about 30lbs. I found that if you put dawn in the soad tank, you can easily remove pinstripes and decals. Should be clean enough now to get some more decent measurements. In the mean time I am re-designing some appolstry. I sewed a few pieces of white and cobalt checker, but there's no stinkin way I'm gonna do that much sewing! It looks cool though, maybe I'll use it for accents...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry people bugged you about why you are fixing this beauty. Why we spend money on old boats is a mystery to me but I have four. Great looking ride man and please keep posting updates.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks proshadetree! I don't mind the PM's at all, they kind of crack me up. One guy sent me a pic of his classic packed full of bikini babes. Heck yeah!

4 oldies, you da man! I am a boat ***** myself :D My wife says I can't complain about her abundance of shoes because I have a toy for every occasion! Hehehe. We used to restore a boat every other year or so. Mostly for other people though.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom has too much rot. Bummer. I was messing around with matching the gel coat last night. Should have the drive pulled tonight, and if I don't get distracted, I should have the transom gutted.

The boat has been named, I'll reveal it when it hits the water.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Most any boat in this age range will have a rotten transom unless it was babied all of its life. It is all part of the madness.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drive out. Transom 50%. I got distracted by a special guest donning cigars and scotch. What's a man to do? My brother's old buddy who built boats for a living came over to give me a hand getting some pin stripes goin on a customers boat. After that was done we started pulling up (literally) the old stringer glass in the bottom of my boat. We did a pull test- stuck a hook from the fish scale under a ridge of the old glass and pulled up until it gave or broke. It pulled a whole piece up after about 45lbs of force. So we started grabbing edges with the air chisle and cleaned the bottom of the boat up. Sure beats grinding it off!
45lbs took a 2 square foot of csm out no problem. If I would've glassed to that, I would've eventually had loose stringers.

Here's a look at the progress. It's supposed to snow and rain today, so I might put it in the shop.

Jay and I decided that since the boat was so light now, we should re-power it accordingly to save gas and money. I figured we'd just duck tape the transom hole shut. :cool: A nice putt putt should do the trick. Nothin like a good running ourboard eh? Hehehe

View attachment 143440View attachment 143441IMG_2061DS.jpgIMG_2062DS.jpgIMG_2070DS.jpgIMG_2072DS.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2055DS.jpg
    IMG_2055DS.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.