Questions on rudder placement

springer59

Seaman Apprentice
Hey fellow iboaters, can any one tell me how far down a rudder must protrude from below the hull to make for stable steering on a heavy old Luhrs 25' inboard ?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions on rudder placement

rudder engenerring is a dreal dark art bud.

the best is to copy what was there.

another thing is the rudder must be exact for the boat.....too much or too little leading edge or trailing edge and she will wander.

springer59

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Oops, I have the one that came off the boat.My question was kinda "wide",can I use a different style of rudder port that is the same as the one that came off it,as long as i maintain the same depth from bottom of hull.OK,the port i want to use is 2 3/4" shorter @ the "hang down" measurement,but it would need a spacer to maintain that spec.Do you think that would work,being that i can have that spacer machined to very close tolerances. (+ or - .001") It's got a 1 1/2 ' shaft so it's not lightwieght.I can do that for about 50 or get the exact one for 300.See why I was scheming on that ? Also could use any lay-up schedules for repairing the hull where the P.O. broke the stuffing box out of the hull by dragging the bottom on ashphalt, which is the reason for the post anyway. It's old , and thick ,I'm using poly,the "hole" is 4 x 4" and did not break completely through butit will need to be cut out and repaired, it,s 3/4" thick at that area. Was also thinking about using fiberglass plate as a reinforcement in that area after it is repaired.Yes on the inside , saw you thinking.LMAO.Thanks for any instuction you can give me, and no i wasn't thinking of making it longer.OK I had thought about it, for about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

go for it.......

you only are risking 50 bux and some time.

if you dont like it.....you still have the old one !