Question about replacing a pulley steering system with a Teleflex Safe- T Qc Rotary

said

Seaman
Greetings to you all,

My naden 1964 has the original pulley steering system that kind jams most of the time and I want to stop going to the shop to get it fixed.

On this forum I was advised to use a system like this one that is much safer.
here.

I read and watched some youtube videos. I measured and found out I would need a 14' cable. I am not sure about what Teleflex means by "Engine Connection Kit". I suppose that's something that is not provided in the kit.

I am not sure also if the cable at the motor end is compatible. Please motor picture where steering cables mount and the attached picture from Teleflex Systems.

Motor Cables from Front.jpg cable to transom.PNG

I know how to use a screw driver and measure. Can anyone with some experience give me some advice on how to tackle this project?

I attached some pictures of my boat. Thanks.:D

Boat From back with Cables.jpg Steering Wheel.jpg

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about replacing a pulley steering system with a Teleflex Safe- T Qc Rota

I did that conversion on my 1960 Glasspar. I went with the rotary helm, and like it. Much smoother than the older cable setup, and safer, too... You could use either the rotary or the rack and pinion on that boat- The clearance in the dash area is likely to be what decides that. If looks like the rotary helm is going to hang below your dash a little, not a big deal, really- It does on my boat, too...

My conversion was a little simpler, since my Merc had a steering tube. You just need to add the transom bracket and a support tube. The only issue that I can see is that you don't have much transom space- and what you do have is a long way from the motor- so it might be a little more difficult to rig things up.

You'll also need a means of connecting it all to the motor- it doesn't look like your motor is set up for it.