Fiberglass Stringers

phil32

Cadet
Has anyone replaced stringers using fiberglass stringers and would you know a company that you could purchase then from. I have a 85 17' Skeeter I am restoring and the stringers and transom needs replaced. Any information would be greatly appreciated
Thank You

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Fiberglass Stringers

There is synthetic stringer material ("Coosa board") , but you get to make the stringers yourself. I have yet to find a company that makes a full fiberglass stringer that you can just tab into the hull. Google a bit and you will find more on synthetic stringer material.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats...

You could cast your stringers with seacast or nidabond which are synthetic materials that are poured into a mold and many people have also repaired their transom with it. Be cautioned in advance that you will pay allot of money for that stuff....... nidabond is the cheaper of the two.

There are also companies that make the molds for the real lazy people with big bank accounts.

Keep in mind during your re-build....... how long are you intending to keep the boat? Anything less then 15 years and I would use plywood (properly prepared and you will get over 20 years out of it)

phil32

Cadet

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your prompt reply.
I saw a video on you tube by John Greviskis of Ship shape TV titled How to replace stringers. (google)
They used i think foam wrapped in fiberglass they just tabbed in. Being a novice Im just not exactly sure I understand what i saw or exactly what they did.
Again thank you for your response and help.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol.....this one is off the rails.....

phil......we need pics.

by fiberglass stringers?....do you mean engineered stringers....glass over foam?....if so....why replace them....leave them.
wet foam in a glass stringer wont hurt anything..
what they have done there is just used foam for the shape to glass over....so the foam is meaningless.....the glass is the stringer. and the glass is good so why replace it.

but ......lets see pics....what you have might not be engineered stringers.....they might just be thick wrapped glass over wood.
in that case....they will have to come out.

phil32

Cadet

OOPs
Maybe I have not properly described what i have. I have an 85 Skeeter Bassboat and the stringers are rotten and will have to be replaced. I was wondering if what I saw on the ship shape video may be an option to replacing with wood.
Thank you for your response

if it was wood encased, i would replace with wood. engineers designed and i am no engineer. properly done it will last a very long time. note...if stringers are rotted, check the transom. i have seen only a handful of 85's that didn't need to top popped off and a ground up restore.

But, if you insist.. here's the link to the stringers... http://www.preforms.com/