1967 Larson All American project restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironpig

Seaman
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ironpig/67%20Larson%20All%20American%20rebuild/Hi,

I started this project about three years ago then a baby and a house got in the way. With the onset of the nicest spring I can remember here in Calgary, I have restarted the boat fixing. Can't wait to take my little guy out in the boat this suymmer, I think he'll love it. I inherited the boat from my grandparents four years ago. The floor was a little soft in some spots and I brought it back to Calgary thinking I would just replace the floor and have a nice new old boat to play with. Then after some reading and research on here I drilled into the stringers and ended up removing 600 + pounds of soggy foam. Those of you who have experienced this will know what a herculean task that can be. Then as i was pulling the last of the foam out of the back end of the stringer, I thought hey, why not see how sturdy the transom is and plunged a srewdriver right through it to the fiberglass at the back. Thankfully there was enough of it to keep the engine from falling off on the way back from BC. This spring i finally got to removing the rear cap and the transom. Removing the transom has turned out to be a gut wrenching, soul destroying task not unlike removing your own toenails with pliers. That is now done and the grinding begins. I hope my neighbours understand that I am not trying to drive them out of the hood. I have read the stories about sanding and grinding fiberglass on here, you guys have undersold this. Sanding and grinding fiberglass is a special torture that should be reserved for dictators and despots once they are removed from power. Flapper wheels are definitely the way to go. I believe my Larson was built on a friday afternoon. Apparently they decided to take the left over resin from the days work and pour it into the back of my boat, thanks Larson. I am nearing completion of the grinding phase and have formed my transom out of 1" thick douglas fir plywood from good old BC. I'll keep taking pics and updating now that I have begun the resto. Stay tuned. Pics to follow.

Last edited:

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1967 Larson All American project restart.

when its all said and done it will have been well worth it.

Cant wait to see some pics!

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know if you need any help at all, I complletly redid my larson all american 166.

Thanks

Ironpig

Seaman

IMG_4723.jpgIMG_4724.jpgIMG_4726.jpgIMG_0148.jpg
Pics of some of the progress so far and of my helper who loves sitting in the boat pretending to drive.

smitty58

Recruit

Looks great I have the same boat. I rebuilt my transom, side rails replaced the foam repaired the two stringers..uuugh I feel your pain. I just replaced the shelf under the bow. I have been using marine plywood and RAKA resin for all of my fiberglassing. Super easy to work with and super strong. Here are a few before pictures. In any case, I feel your pain but these old Larsons are 57 Chevys on the water....101_3007.jpg101_3010.jpg super cool. Old school is cool! here are a few before pictures......

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh man.... do i ever remember taking out all the rotted plywood out of the transom!! I did exactly what you are doing!! Took the hull down to bare glass and then used 1708 over the entire bottom.I ended up doing the stringers completely different then they were originally.I used southern yellow pine as i wanted the boat to be more rigid.http://photobucket.com/Larsonrestore

Ironpig

Seaman

So i had a few hours to kill after lunch, the transom has been resined and glassed and finnaly dried. The vagaries of trying to glass in spring weather are a challenge. So i mixed up some PB and got the transom installed. Thanks to Friscoboater for the videos, watched them over and over to get the steps down. So its in and clamped. Made my own clamps, with a spreader type arrangement for the top bolts, to get a nice even spread along the entire lenght of the clamp. Pics to follow shortly

Ironpig

Seaman

Boat 255 w Ollie.jpgboat 256 floor pour.jpgboat 257 with Ollie.jpg

So I have gotten alot done. Rebuilt the stringers, new foam, refiberglassed, put in the deck, resined both sides, although i waited till the deck was in to resin the top side. Today I got the peanut butter around the sides of the deck and up against the transom. I used profil for some of the butter and it changed colour, looks a little funny but so what. Got the csm down about two hours before a rain storm hit, I had mixed it to kick a little harder than normal thankfully. I hope to get the rest of her together for the end of the week, and splash her the first week of june. What kind of deck cover do you all have and what +/- of the type of covering you have. I am thinking of putting either a gel coat down with non slip additive or carpet but with snaps. Thoughts?

Cneustifter

Recruit
How were the stringers attached to the boat? I've just pulled up the floor of my 67 and as a first time restorer, I'm curious what the next step would be to replace my rotten stringers.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How were the stringers attached to the boat? I've just pulled up the floor of my 67 and as a first time restorer, I'm curious what the next step would be to replace my rotten stringers.

Cneustifter Please start a new thread. This one is over 4 years old and Ironpig no longer visits the forum.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.