Teak swim deck and trim restore!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
IMG_2261.jpgIMG_5856.jpgIMG_2346.jpgIMG_1596.jpgIMG_3987.jpgJust thought i would pass on my experience with referbishing my Teak swim deck and Teak wood trim.

Been reading on iboats/ google for best results.

Here is what i came up with:

1. Remove all wood from boat if you can.
2. Pressure wash wood.
3. Tri sodium phosphate with hot water and pot scrubber. ( This i did not do )
4. Sand wood with sandpaper. ( I used 120 Grit Alum Oxide paper )
5. Blew off wood with compressed air.
6. Wiped down with cheese cloth.
7. I applied each coat then let set a few min, then wiped down with rag.
8. Before the last coat i sanded with 00 steel wool, then air, then cheese cloth
9. Applied last coat.
10. Total of 8 coats on the swim deck and 4 for the rest of the trim.

Now if i had to do it again! I would use the tri - sodium and use 80 grit sandpaper.
Also everyone said they had good luck with Amazon Gold Teak oil. I just went with the big box brand that was on the shelf.

Total Materials.
2 Quarts of Teak oil
2 packs of cheese cloths
1 pack of 00 steel wool
1 roll of 120 grit oxide sandpaper ( Borrowed from work )
5 Sponge type paint brushes 1 1/2" wide

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Teak swim deck and trim restore!

Excellent! Thank you fro the info. The big question is: how pleased are you with the final results?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I am very pleased with the results. Before i started the wood was almost white on the deck and weatherd on the rest.

I am courious to see how long it will last, my deck sits just above of the water line.

Last summer i tried to use the teak restorer from the boat shop and it didnt last that long and it didnt look as deep ( Dark ) as i have now.
Plus i tried to do it on the boat. I wiped it on with a rag then wiped it back off, didnt let it sit for very long and only did a few coats. Ive learned from my mistakes.

Its best to remove it! ALL THE WOOD IF YOU CAN

I was realy amazed how good the pressure washer did. It took the white stuff like it was butter

Couple more pics!

Attachments

• IMG_8554.jpg
    IMG_8554.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8957.jpg
    IMG_8957.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0

sounds good! i just picked up a 1990 glassport 165 ski boat and have been looking on here to find info about restoring the boat. one question i had was what to do with the wood on the swim ladder and a few other wooden parts on the boat. this sounds like a great method and i like the look of the pics! as i do the refurb on this boat i will be taking pics of everything, i will be sure to post pics of what the wood turns out like. thanks guys, i have def. seen some good info on this site that will help me with this new project boat!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks!

iboats is great, so much info it'll make your head fluster.

The resto guys here are so willing to help, its unbelivable that they take so much time away from family and their own boats to help everyone out.

Good luck on your resto!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am courious to see how long it will last, my deck sits just above of the water line.

I would suggest you coat your Oiled Teak every week or two.

You did not varnish..so its gonna be upkeep on the natural oils that are needed in the wood.

Fresh water will actually leach out teak. ( In salt water areas you would just bucket splash your teak ).

From what I see..your not talking a lot of wood to upkeep oiled. ( I use Watco myself but.. )

After your weekend outing .. just put apply some more Teak oil before you button it up for the week.

This can be done in 1 beer time. Crack it..sip .. oil up a small cloth and do your treads..another sip..get up and go foward and wipe up there...rinse and repeat till all of your teak is coated again.

The swim platform is going to need a coat and wipe. ( final stage when your boat is back in your yard )

:)

YD.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Yacht Dr - What would happen if i were to varnish the deck?

I have been told not to varnish or poly urathane Teak wood. Would this be true

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yacht Dr - What would happen if i were to varnish the deck?

I have been told not to varnish or poly urathane Teak wood. Would this be true

If you had used a varnish of some kind..then you would have to at least prep/coat another layer of varnish or two every year or so ( depending on conditions of course ).

I would not have varnished your teak.. I would have done the same thing you did. Prep and oil.

You did good .. but the above advise on my last post should be followed. Oil it regularly .. not sopping wet oil treatment..just a wipe and let it soak in.

You dont have to remove your wood anymore to just oil it LOL .. just keep it oiled up m8..

YD.

PS. Fresh water will leach teak out .. so keep it oiled after you wash/dry your boat wood off ..

yacht dr.

the teak(i think it is) that is on my ski boat appears to have some kind of varnish or lacquer on it. what are your thoughts on this? is it a better idea than oil? or should i oil it to bring back the color and preserve the wood? also, if i oil it, can i coat it with a lacquer afterwards to seal it to prevent the freshwater from leaching it? this is only the second boat i have worked on, the first was an aluminum fishing boat, and i do not have any experience with wood on a boat. so any advise will be gladly taken! we are trying to make this boat look as professionally done as possible, as this is becoming something my brother and i would like to keep doing in the future.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If you like the looks of the OPs wood..follow just like he did..then follow the upkeep suggestions that are in the thread.

If you have specific to your boat questions .. Start a thread :) ..

For a small boat like these in question.. I like oil. Its cheap and easy to apply and upkeep.

YD.

YD,

i have a thread started regarding some other questions i had regarding my boat, i just chimed in on this because of the specific subject. you have pretty much answered my question with your last line. i am looking for something to do to the wood that is inexpensive, easy to do and easy to maintain. even though i want the boat to look as good as possible, i dont want to spend as much time on upkeep as i spend using it; the oi sounds like it will fit what i want perfectly! and being as the other work the boat needs is going to take some time to do, this seems like a pretty quick and simple fix. thank you for your input!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks Yacht Dr for the info!

I like the idea.... Sip then wipe...... Sip then wipe. I think i could make it at least a 2 beer project.

Thanks and happy boating!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks Yacht Dr for the info!

I like the idea.... Sip then wipe...... Sip then wipe. I think i could make it at least a 2 beer project.

Thanks and happy boating!

Ethically speaking..its actually a 3 beer project..

2 for you and one for your next door mate. ( that is on his hands and knees with some sandpaper/cheesecloth/roll of tape/brush and some varnish ) .. you at least have to throw him a can of sudz while you watch :D ..

YD.