Looking for opinions on transom repair on Jon Boat

tinkerr

Cadet
I have a Old Meyers Jon boat that a previous owner modified the transom to put a 36v golf cart motor on it. The transom is 20" deep and 70" at its widest point, the boat is 14' long. There are 2 braces(factory) that are 12" tall and riveted to the transom and bottom of the boat. The braces stop about 11" for the top of the transom(20" transom) leaving only room for a 2"x10"x70" piece of wood to hang the motor on. Boat is rated for a 25 hp motor, will that piece of wood support the abuse of a 25hp motor? I was going to use pressure treated 2x10, but thought about rough cut oak for strength. What do you think?

thanks tinkerr

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for opinions on transom repair on Jon Boat

Don't use pressure treated and plywood is much stronger.

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ agree, use plywood for the transom. (and don't use anything that's green pressure treated)

Post up a couple of pics so we know what you are working on.

tinkerr

Cadet

Ok, couple of questions. Do I layer and glue the plywood together to get a thickness close to the thickness of 2"? Why no pressure treated? If I use plywood do I have to treat it against the elements it is fully exposed other than a piece of alum. cap. I'll try and get a pic. thank tinkerr

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

First off, Welcome to iBoats!

Yes laminate the plywood together to get your thickness. No PT due to galvanic reaction, it'll corrode the aluminium badly. If you want it to last you'll need to seal your new transom with anywhere from a good exterior paint to epoxy depending on how long you want it to last vs. how much you have/want to spend.

Would definitely like to see some pics to see what you're working with.