1996 Cajun Fishmaster 2100CC restoration begun...

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice
I got this old boat pretty cheap 5 years ago. It needed restored back then. It really needs it now. I brought the boat home to install a rebuilt powerhead and decided to deal with the nasty old carpet and seat cushions.

Before stripping:
deck-carpet.jpg side-carpet.jpg
I would like to eliminate the carpet but there may be too much work involved. Since the boat was carpeted from the factory the carpeted areas are unfinished and really rough. With a grinder and sander I easily removed the glue from the front deck. What I found was huge voids, pits, and general ugliness.

This is not damage. Just a huge void.
Bow.jpg

Rough, pitted surface AFTER sanding:
deck-pitting.jpg

The sides look pretty good under the glue:
side-glue.jpg

I've never done anything like this before. I'm just jumping in with both feet. After looking at the forward deck my first inclination was to go buy some carpet. And perhaps I should.

I'm trying to avoid carpet but don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Can I use some kind of fiberglass filler on the voids, pits, and defects, then sand and paint it? It's just a fishing boat and doesn't need to look perfect but I don't want it to look like crap either. At least new carpet looks good for a while.

I could use some advice on which way to go. Thanks, John.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1996 Cajun Fishmaster 2100CC restoration begun...

Have the transom and stringers been checked for rot???

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

Have the transom and stringers been checked for rot???

The floor and transom are solid so far as I can tell. The hull is in pretty good shape overall except for needing the usual 16-year freshening up :)

I did some more sanding of the rolled gunnel and, aside from needing some air pockets and defects filled, I think it would look great without carpet.

What kind of filler do I need?
Should it have fiberglass in it?
Does it matter if its epoxy or polyester?

What's good for a top coat?
Gelcoat?
Epoxy paint?
Porch and floor paint?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use Thickened epoxy (epoxy and Wood Flour). This will get it to a rough fill. You can then mix some Sandable filler in with the epoxy to "Fair" it and blend it to prep for paint. Check the link at the bottom of my signature for Help with Painting. $200 bucks for Epoxy and Paint and She'll look like new.

How is the project coming along? I have the same boat (1996 Cajun 2100 Fishmaster, Johnson 150). When I bought my boat two years ago the dealer said the previous owner had the floor replaced when the carpet was ripped out. He night be lying. It was solid and looked OK. You can see the fiber mat around all the edges. I suspected that all they did was rip out the carpet, and paint. It now has small soft spots around the center console, and ice chest seat. I suppose water gets under the floor around the area where the gas tank comes through the floor. That gigantic T shaped gas tank is a very strange design. This winter I was planning on replacing the floor and keeping it under cover this time. Please keep us up to date with your project. Especially anything you learn along the way. I'm a big fan of learning from others. Good Luck!

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

I feel pretty lucky that my floor is very solid. I'm going to remove the fuel tank and clean it out, replace fuel lines.
The plastic tank is sagging a little on top but doesn't leak. I got the carpet removed and sanded all the glue off with a 7" Makita buffer and 80 grit sanding discs. Made real quick work of the sanding. Since the boat was carpeted from the factory there is no gel coat and the glass work is very rough. I'm filling with automotive filler. Fill, sand, fill, sand, until smooth enough. Then I will paint. The summer heat arrived so the project has slowed to a crawl. I have begun making seat cushions which I can do indoors in the air conditioning. As usual, it will take much longer for me to complete this project than anticipated. Can't wait to get her back on Texoma for her maiden voyage so me and Dad can get back after the stripers. Here's a little before/after image. Bought a sewing machine and taught myself to sew. With the help of the great folks here on this forum of course :)
2012.may02.rear.seat.old.jpg 2012.may02.rear.seat.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhhmmm, Careful with the Auto body filler. I contains Talc and will abosorb moisture. You'd be better off mixing your own from Polyresin, Cabosil, and Glass bubbles. www.uscomposites.com

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

Uhhmmm, Careful with the Auto body filler. I contains Talc and will abosorb moisture. You'd be better off mixing your own from Polyresin, Cabosil, and Glass bubbles. www.uscomposites.com

I'll have to check the can of filler. I think it's a 3M product and I thought it said it was good for fiberglass.

I was planning to use your painting method with the Valspar and hardener but it looks like Tractor Supply no longer carries it. They now sell a brand called Majic. Lowes has oil based Valspar Industrial Maintenance paint but they don't seem to carry a hardener.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, it's great for fiberglass just not below the water line. If it's just for the topside of the boat then you should be fine. The Majic Paint is basically the same. If you have an Atwoods store close by, they carry Vansickle Paint and the have the hardener AND Clear coat too!!!

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, it's great for fiberglass just not below the water line. If it's just for the topside of the boat then you should be fine. The Majic Paint is basically the same. If you have an Atwoods store close by, they carry Vansickle Paint and the have the hardener AND Clear coat too!!!

Yes, all the filler is above water line.

That's great. My closest town is 14 miles away but luckily they have an Atwoods and TSC so I should be able to find white enamel and hardener.

I was going to use your roll-on technique but I just bought a nice little Graco airless spray rig to paint my house. There are spray tips available for enamels and stains so I'm thinking about spraying it. If I spray I'm assuming I would have to sprinkle a non-skid product on the casting deck rather than mixing it into the paint?

thanks for all the tips and advice!