Painting Fiberglass Tri-Hull - Need Paint Help or Suggestions

bobwhitebarry

Recruit
I picked up my first real boat (besides my canoe). It is a '73 Lund tri-hull and it was $300 for the boat, motor and trailer. I first got the motor running before investing time and money on the boat. It did have a fair amount of osmosis blisters on the bottom, so it turned into a bigger project than I anticipated. Bottom line, I fixed the blisters and got the primer all done. I am now trying to get it painted...

I bought some Valspar automotive paint to paint the hull (topside and bottom). Another automotive paint vendor said it won't hold up well and that I should have purchased boat paint instead. Well, long story short, the paint was unreturnable, so I sprayed the boat... kinda. It was going on just great, but I ran out of activator and had to stop before the final quote. But now I would need to sand it and respray. I don't have enough paint.

I have been thinking I may be better off taking the loss and get the boat painted with a marine paint. So here is my dilemma:
1) Do I need to use a bottom paint as well as a topcoat? The boat is a 15' runabout and will likely never spend more than a day or two at a time in the water. It will be right back on the trailer after each outing.

2) Is a good marine paint that is reasonably priced that I can use on the entire boat?

3) If I lightly sand, can I repaint, or do I need to start with a primer again?

I have noticed several folks on the forum refer to Rust-oleum topside paint. I have seen good reviews on Z-Spar paint. Is it worth the money on a $300 boat to use Perfection or equivalent, etc? What about one part epoxy paints?

I guess after all of the prep and labor I have into the boat, cutting corners on paint would be kind of dumb. But I am new to this and I'd sure hate to buy the latest and greatest to find it is very difficult to work with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Painting Fiberglass Tri-Hull - Need Paint Help or Suggestions

Welcome to iboats!

If your boat is trailered and does not spend weeks in the water then bottom paint (anti-fouling etc) is not needed. You can paint the entire hull with the same paint.

Automotive paint and enamels (such as rustoleum etc except do not use individual cans of spray paint) will hold up fine as long as your surface is prepared properly.

Okay Bob-VT...

"do not use individual cans of spray paint"

That begs the question of why?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

It did have a fair amount of osmosis blisters on the bottom, so it turned into a bigger project than I anticipated. Bottom line, I fixed the blisters and got the primer all done. I am now trying to get it painted...

How did you fix the blisters ? .. What Primer did you use ? ..

YD.

bobwhitebarry

Recruit

How did you fix the blisters ? .. What Primer did you use ? ..

YD.

I ground out the blistered gel coat and used epoxy to fill the voids. I then used 3 coats of Interlux Protect 2000e to prime the hull.

I still don't understand why one couldn't or wouldn't use automotive paint and enamel spray paint if automotive paint and enamel is acceptable in other forms. I had a small boat painted with spray enamel (Walmart shelf) and it worked well and lasted many years. Granted, I would not paint a 32' Stamas like that, but a small boat? Why not?

Anyone care to comment?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I ground out the blistered gel coat and used epoxy to fill the voids. I then used 3 coats of Interlux Protect 2000e to prime the hull.

Well if you used IP2000 then your good to go with a light scuff and continue to with your Valspar paint ( red scotchbright should work ).

I would not start to mix and match paint at this point. Just spend a few bucks on the paint/activator and go fishin :) .

As far as using spray cans .. well I guess you could do it on the cheap. I have seen a few flat bottom cheap duck hunter boats that have bomb jobs on the bottom. ( those good ol' boys normally dont even sand the bondo repairs on the bottom before they put a little spot spray on it though ;) ).

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For one expense. At 3 bucks a can,(more like $3.50 to $4.00) how many cans would it take to paint a 15 foot tri-hull with 3 coats of primer and paint? How thick would the coats be? I'm just guessin but prolly about 10 cans per coat. I gave my boat 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of Color. That woudl be 50 cans of Spray paint @ $3 per can = $150. I painted my boat with Acrylic Enamel Paint and Hardener in the paint which makes it much more durable than spray can paint, for less than $75 bucks. Granted, I did not have to buy a compressor. If you add the cost of the gun I bought $40 bucks. Still less money and I believe I have more mils of paint on the boat and a much more durable finish. JMHO.

Good point YD and Wood!

My 12 footer covered darn nice with 3 cans and the finish lasted about 5+ years. You can't beat $15 for a paint job...and it looked good. But, like I said, a small boat for lake/canal fishing.

Bob's comment lead me to believe it wasn't a cost reference but that you should use canned spray paint. Thanks for the input!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Okay Bob-VT...

"do not use individual cans of spray paint"

That begs the question of why?

I painted my Jupiter with spray cans. I would NOT recommend that method. I used SO MUCH FRIGGIN' PAINT!! For what I ended up spending on spray cans, I probably could have had an auto shop spray bomb it for me. Plus the overspray seemed ruin any chance of glass that I might have had. I rolled Easypoxy on my SS and it came out awesome (didn't stay that way but that's another story).

Counter point though.....jasouside painted his Starcraft with these new Rustoleum spray cans that had a high flow tip and his came out really nice. So perhaps YMMV.

I used on of these spray can holders with an enamel. It makes it real easy to control the flow and application:

sp.jpg

All I can say is it went on easy and lasted a long time.