can i awlgrip over my gelcoat non skid?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i recently redid my deck. gelcoat rolled on and then final coat was sprayed with griptex non-skid. i dont like the look of it so much. if i rolled on some awlgrip without non-skid how would it look?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: can i awlgrip over my gelcoat non skid?

depends on how good your rolling is.....

but im not sure that the grip tex will allow a good bond,,, i just dont know......but if the bond does fail and the paint starts to chip off, you could always repaint once a season

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ratking....when you rolled on your gelcoat, how was it? What brand did you use? My topside of the bow and portside/starboard sides look ok when I polish it up, but you can see where the stripes once were. I was thinking of using Brightside or Awlgrip white, or applying gelcoat by roller and hoping I would not need to paint after....do you have some pictures you can share??

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I had someone do it with my deck and stringers. But it didn't look bad after the rolled coat. I'm not sure of the brand but I can find out. It was waxed gelcoat and the last coat was sprayed on with griptex added to it. It doesn't look bad but I walked on it the next day. I have some dirt footprints that won't seem to come out. I dunno if its embedded into the gelcoat or what. Either way I like the glossier look anyway. So I figured a top coat of awlgrip would come out shinier and lose some of the nonskid effect

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you have some dirt foot prints on waxed gellcoat?.....

the gellcoat was not mixed properly.

that is a common trait of unwaxed gellcoat....that means that most of the wax is still in the barrel....

you have to really agitate the gellcoat before you use it......that can mean shaking the carp out of the can before you use it or using a paddle mixer and getting a vortex going for several minutes before you add the MEKP.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i walked on it with my sneakers and since i was at the boatyard the dirt from my sneakers left a footprint. i tried washing it off with some deck cleaner but it really wont come out. im thinking if the gelcoat didnt cure all the way yet that it might be embedded int the top layer. i would paint over it if i have to, maybe with awlgrip since i like the glossy look but if i can get the footprints out i would settle for that. some people reccommend awlcraft instead of awlgrip. whats the reason for that? its just for the deck

sasto

Captain

I did it once. I cleaned her up with acetone and rolled on AwlGrip. Lasted a couple years till it started flaking off. I eventually sanded down the cockpit and applied AwlGrip with GripTex. Over 10 years later....she looks good as new....almost!

Mind you, this is in FL. Hot sun, gritty saltwater, and used frequently.

Good Luck!

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the awlgrip wont have a problem sticking to the gelcoat(with non skid)????

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

It doesn't look bad but I walked on it the next day. I have some dirt footprints that won't seem to come out. I dunno if its embedded into the gelcoat or what. Either way I like the glossier look anyway. So I figured a top coat of awlgrip would come out shinier and lose some of the nonskid effect

Never walk on Sprayed skid for a week :) .. Gel or paint it does not matter ..

yes i walked on it with my sneakers and since i was at the boatyard the dirt from my sneakers left a footprint. i tried washing it off with some deck cleaner but it really wont come out. im thinking if the gelcoat didnt cure all the way yet that it might be embedded int the top layer. i would paint over it if i have to, maybe with awlgrip since i like the glossy look but if i can get the footprints out i would settle for that. some people reccommend awlcraft instead of awlgrip. whats the reason for that? its just for the deck

First off..the boatyard may have had someone doing a bottom sanding .. in which case you have 'bottom dust' on your boat. If you step on bottom paint dust on your boat it will stain almost Forever ! .. you will Never get it off.

Awlcraft is Spray only .. Awlgrip is more durable and is more suited to decks and skid.

You can apply Awlgrip to your gelled deck .. but I have news for you. Its going to take some TSP and some serious dewaxing on your part to get it pre-prepped for the preppers..

Best case is to sand down do a flat surface and spray/roll AG to the deck alone ..

Use GripTex ..

the awlgrip wont have a problem sticking to the gelcoat(with non skid)????

Yes it can have a problem sticking ..Its a do-over or its a cover over .. there is no basis on how well the paint sticks. For some a TSP and some Prepsol will work. Not to say it will work for your application ..but it has worked in the past ..

YD.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dewaxing? do u mean just sanding or is that what the prepsol is for?

im assuming the awlgrip will definitely not stick to the waxed gelcoat?