trying to build a 14 ft. boat

I'm a 15 year old who has about 1 year of work under an expert carpenter learning how to build houses now i'm wanting to get a bit more advanced in wood working.
First of all I have about $1200 stored away in the bank and earning more weekly so I've got to keep within that budget in building my boat.
I need information on the best plywood to use and figuring I want mid sized interior compartments to store rope , emergency supplies , fishing poles , tackle boxes , and food for fishing trips.
Its a struggle trying to level cost , durability , and weight figuring I need it to be light enough to be handled without taking 20 stong men to move it.
I would like it to last however i don't really expect one that will last 30 years but good durability will be great.
Love to fish love to design , love to build the solution for me was a home made boat.
I information after I build the hull and top deck is there some sort of coating or paint I need because I can't build the whole boat out of pressure treeted board it would be very expensive and a devil to fill all the cracks.
I can get my employer a 30 year home and structure builder to cut the plywood because when he does it with a skill saw it looks like the factory saw cut it.
He can brace the hull fine but what sort of boards should i use for equal strength and lightness?
1by2 ?1by3 ?2by4 ? 2by6? 2by8? What is the best for a lightweight 14 foot bate with 2' 6" hight?
Please give me suggjestions figuring this is the best place to find this out and though I get advice from my employer/brother in law he builds houses , barns , shops , driveways , and pole barns NOT boats.
This would hopefully be drawn out process of 4 or more months so I can use it as a pass time project.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: trying to build a 14 ft. boat

welcome to Iboats and good for you for wanting to take on such a project and an ancient craft.

Boats are unusual to design and build due to hydraulic forces, so you really need to use plans. Materials are specialized, too; I don't think PT is a preferred material. There's marine plywood, cypress, juniper, ash and mahagony.

Focus on the hull and worry about compartments way later.

There is no reason not to build it so it will last 30 years, and there's no reason it won't. I can see the wooden row boat my great uncle built 100 years ago out my window.

You have too many questions here to get you started; study plans. Go to a museum or boat club with old wooden boats. Many sea coast towns have boat building schools as well as occasional projects. (Where are you?)

Good luck, listen to the experienced guys, and take pride in your work. Nothing is more exciting, and satisfying, and scary, as launching the boat you made!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats !

there are many wooden boat plans, for exactly what you want....

however.....it is going to be expencive...

first of all.....in a wooden boat.....marine grade plywood is used....then covered with epoxy. especially around the seams.
you can make thickened epoxy to fill any gaps...

the best bet is to look at the link jas gave you....look for plans......you dont build a house with out plans right? same with boats.
some of the designs will take years....some, quicker...but on average, i think the build time is around a year.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, do some reading. Then get some plans.

You will not be using any pine dimension lumber in the boat, pressure treated or not. Most likely you will be putting marine grade plywood (douglas fir, okoume, or hydro-tek meranti) over ribs. The ribs will be either steam bent or sawn, usually oak, cypress or some other rot resistant species. The plywood can be stripped (strips that abut), lapped (strips that overlap, my preference), or in applied in panels that but together.

You have a lot of work ahead of you , but done correctly it will be something you are proud of and WILL last 30 years.

I live in oregon up where the rain makes the area plentious of rivers and lakes in fact there is a huge river only 15 miles away.
We once went fishing at a lake about a half days ride and that was a pretty small lake but had a boat ramp like larger ones so there are countless places to use it my only worry is if I can get time between dad and i's busy schedule to go out and fish.
Thanks for the sites of plans I've found it very informative.
yes we build houses with plans as well but Timothy my boss simply makes his own plans and sends them to a engineer who turns the skimatics into blue prints of very detailed plans for we workers to use.
Thanks for the info all future info greatly appreciated because I'm new to boat building and i have a lot to learn.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

BF15, I've had two fiberglass boats and three wooden ones. When I got my first wooden one I wasn't much older than you are right now. I remember that boat very well even though it was almost 40 years ago. My last boat (the one I have now) I built from scratch. It took me about 4 years of evenings and weekends. Click on the "construction photos" link in my signature below and you can see it going together.

What the other guys said above is true. Start by reading and browsing the internet. A lot. Since it's your first boat and your funds are a bit limited, don't try to build too big. Maybe 12' - 14' is a good place to start. If I had mine to do over I would have built much bigger, but I'm a old guy with time and money. (Old Guys Rule! :)) Get some plans, take your time, and enjoy it.

And here's an observation: More than time, and more than money, what your really need to build a boat is persistence. Have fun with this. ;)

yes I'm trying to build up my persistance and excitement because I have wanted a boat for a long time.
Pretty much what I am trying to do is use the plans in the link given and leave the hull the same just move around the compartments in google sketch up8 which I'm pretty happy with being able to actually make a floor plan on top of the hull which i can build off of and can refer to every board and piece with exact measurements.
Is there any ideas what the ratio of the weight in the forward half of the boat to the rear half is?
Does the weight have to be destributed in some form other than not puting too much weight on each side making the boat tip.
I appreciate the ideas on how long it will take and that is what I would like a long project to relax on after a day working out on the roof or under a foundation.
Thank you all

great news using the link jasoutside gave I've found the almost perfect 10' flat bottom rowboat.
I sort of wanted compartments and slightly longer boat and wondered if it was advisable after getting the plans to talk to my boss and see if there was a way to modify the design leaving everything the same except for it being 2 feet longer for more room for tackle boxes and such?
I don't want to ruin the design and the boat so I won't modify it too much for fear of making it wrong then i'll have a nice cold swim back to shore.
Has anyone modified their boats from the original plan or is it mandatory to just stick with the original design?

Ned L

Commander

As has been pointed out, Glen-L has a good selection of proven designs. I would recommend staying true to the design and not making any modifications during your first build. (Some of your questions really need a good bit of experience & understanding of boat building & design to be able to have a good discussion about. for instance, when you ask "Is there any ideas what the ratio of the weight in the forward half of the boat to the rear half is?", yes, there are importand considerations here, but first you have to ask that in the context of a specific design. Some designs are a lot more forgiving than others in how they are loaded, even basic flat bottom rowboats.) You can use a good quality AC exterior grade plywood with just oil based paints and end up with a nice boat that will last for decades if maintained (fiberglassing is not necessary).

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'd bet Glen-L would modify the plans for you if they don't have just the design you like in stock.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Just to step back a little--don't build a boat b/c it's cheaper than buying one. It isn't. If you want to go boating in a 12' boat (that is, solo) consider buying an old 12' jon boat--they're dirt cheap and you are on the water instantly. Then decide if boating is your passion, build yourself a killer boat of your own, while sneaking out to fish every now and then. If you start buiding even a small boat now in your spare time, you won't be on the water until fall.

But I admire your drive and interest.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, totally agree with HC there! Make sure you are having fun along the way!

Thanks for all the comments and I'll try to find a person at G L and see if my ideas are legible for though I have little experience in the modern craft I can name 60 ship classes of ships which participated in ww2 and their design.
The main reason I wanted to build a boat besides that I wanted to go fishing in it is I spend a little too much time on the computer and when I became a christian I started looking for constructive ways I could entertain myself besides spending days on the computer.
I do know 4 of Jesus' desiples were fishermen so he certianly approves of fishermen.
Building a boat could make me spend more time in the shop and off the computer as well as honing my wood working skills for the busy months ahead when I will be working on my brother in law's house.
He just finished the roof now there is a good few months of internal work to finish.
Thank you for your ideas , encouragement , and warnings may God be with you all

looks like a great boat but a major question I have is all boat building is " How do I bend the plywood as it the makes the bow and stern?
I see how the beams are made like the truss' we use under the sheeting of roof which essentially this is a roof except everything is build upside down.
I wonder if it would be advisable for putting the pieces of the beams together I could use a nail plate which is a piece of metal made in such a way it has about 30 to 50 1/4 to 1/2 in. spikes out one side so once you pound the spikes into any board it wont move for ages its the same plates which hold together the truss' under your roof.
It would certianly last along time and one on each side of each part where the beam pieces come together would have about a 2000 pound strength. equivalant of about 6 16penny nails per plate.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This will help you understand. you are only using 1/4" plywood so it bends quite easily.

http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/plywoodbb.html

image.jpg

Ive found alot of plans favorable but none had what I wanted so I'll give my proposition to see if it is legible a simply jon boat or the 12 foot outboard suggested by woodonglass could have the top covered with supported plywood given the exception of a leg space infront of 1 chair midship.
The concept I was looking for I wanted to have a space between the outer hull and the plywood we would be standing on to fish ,with a trapdoor bellow so this space is usable and might contain small coolers or tackle boxes leaving the upper deck completely free to walk around on.
This would be no more than 18 inches from the boat bottom to the plywood we were standing on.
Which would increase the draft a bit but the sides would have to be 18 inches tall to accept the plywood on top.
wish I could draw an example but the main question is could you equally cover these two models with plywood except a 2 by 4 foot space midships without effecting the stability and draft too much?

kfa4303

Banned

despite the boat design I'm going to need plywood so as soon as we go into brownsville or Sweet home which both have lumber yards I've start looking for juniper , ash , white pine because I've heard it can be used , but being in oregon one would think prices would be lower seeing this is one of the top states in lumber production In fact there is a lumber mill about 25 miles away all of which might have the woods needed please reccomend the best wood to fit both durability and lower cost so there is a balance between the two.
pine, white I do do not know is a major wood in this area where you can find at the very least 10 pine trees on every acre of the state except for the farms which even them have forests.
I'll put up pictures as soon as I get closer to actually beginning building.
Thank you all once again and I'm checking this forum daily so all comments giving recomendation , advice , warnings . or other info is greatly apreciated.