1978 Glasply 19'6" Hardtop Cuddy clean-up

NWVintage

Seaman
Just got a new boat!

1978 19'6" GlasPly Hardtop Cuddy
Mercruiser 470
Mercruiser Alpha-one generation one
1990's Merc 15hp kicker w/ hydraulic assist bracket, steering linkage.
Eagle FishElite 500C/SeaCharter 500CDF
Docking lights
1978 Calkins Galvanized Roller trailer

Photos will come soon (after I clean her...) but I was too excited to wait to post something.

The story goes:

The previous owner bought it from the second owner. It was in perfect shape at that point. He fished it regularly for about 7 years. About 2 years ago, his elderly father got sick and is no longer able to fish, so it got totally ignored for the last two years. (Sat outside, uncovered)

The hull is in near perfect shape other than a bit of oxidation from the last couple years. The cuddy is in great shape. The helm area is in pretty good shape but needs some cleaning. The aft deck is really dirty but there are no soft spots anywhere. The transom is rock-solid. It shows some signs of wear characteristic of a 34 year old boat but it I spent about 4 hours looking for any signs of rot and there's nothing from the transom to the helm, so I'm pretty sure that I'm in the clear. By the claims of the previous owner (who truly seems trustworthy) and all of the indications that I was able to investigate, this boat was well cared for until it sat for the last couple years.

The I/O and the kicker both run great and operate well. The previous owner took it to a mechanic to have everything gone over before he put it up. Compression is good on the 470. It does have both the stator-style charging system and the 3" heat exchanger but both systems are in good operating condition (mechanic inspected the heat exchanger and checked the charging system for me.)

The only actual problem that I have found is that the trailer brakes are completely shot. The trailer is in good shape other than that it needs the brakes done. I considered trying to salvage them but I think I'm just going to go for the full replacement with a galvanized disc setup so that I can just not worry about them. It appears to be the original 1978 Atwood actuator...

Anyway, more to come...

P.S. I traded this for a car that, after 3 months, had generated only very limited interest at an asking price of $4500 (2001 Beetle, 136k mi)...

P.P.S. I am aware of all of the issues with the 470 and I am comfortable with the risks that I am taking and improvements that I will need to make so please don't clog this thread up with a bunch of 470 trash-talk. We all know how great your 4.3 is...

3ktoy

Recruit
Do you still have the boat? and if so you still happy with it ?

thanks

WIMUSKY

Staff member
3ktoy, this thread is over 90 days old(ALMOST 3 YEARS TO BE EXACT) and needs to stay in the archives per forum rules....

Thanks.
WIMUSKY