1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. NEW PICTURES

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

So we got this boat yesterday. It needs some things. Top of the list is get the motor going, then the floor needs to be fixed, and then maybe the upholstery.

Looks like I've got a line on a 150 powerhead and labor to install it, so I'm not too concerned there. Although, I need to do something about the skeg that isn't there, looks like there was something attached that isn't anymore (not the original skeg)

My bigger concern and reason for posting is the floor. I've been reading all morning about floor replacement on here and finally went out and dug in a little. The PO looks like tried a little half *** fixing, I removed some of what I assume he did. I'm hopeful that I don't have to replace the stringers but I'll do what i have to. Probably wont know until I dig in more, it started to rain so i had to cut it short.

The stringers are one thing, but I am desperate hoping I don't have to replace the transom, I think that would be over my head.

This is my biggest project to date, and am antsy to dig in.

So, onto the pictures. Any input would be good as really, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Boat/Motor
IMAG0227-1.jpg

IMAG0223-1.jpg

IMAG0225-1.jpg

IMAG0226-1.jpg

Transom
IMAG0222-1.jpg

IMAG0221-2.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. PICTURES

AAAACCKKK
IMAG0218-2.jpg

IMAG0217-1.jpg

IMAG0224-1.jpg

IMAG0220-2.jpg

IMAG0219-1.jpg

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats dry dock. There are a number of great guys/gals on here with all kinds of information. Post questions as you go.

Don't sweat thinking you are over your head (I am too lol) but after watching FRISCOBOATER's thread (How To Link at top of the page) and asking questions I feel much better. I look at it this way, fiberglass is forgiving, you can mess it up and then come right back with a redo.

Good luck and again, we'll be right behind you all the way :D

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can do almost anything I put my mind to, I've done a little fiberglass before, but nothing like this. Same with woodworking.. ha.

I gutted some more out, and cleaned it up. The stringers are black with rot in some places. Bummer.

****More pictures****** Taken with our nice camera, hopefully they aren't too huge.

Starboard under captains chair
IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

Port under passenger's feet
IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The editing thread setup is working for me?

What is the best way to remove the wood that has been glassed to the deck? I was thinking a grinder? I'm trying to salvage what i can for templates.

The PO had a oil tank and 5 gallon gas tank under the back seat. Odd, consider the big *** fuel tank I came across.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats! Looks like you definetly have a full restoration coming your way. If you really jump up and down on the leg of the outboard can you get the transom to flex any? If so then the transom is for sure gunna have to come out. With what I'm seeing in the stringers I'm guessin the transom is gunna be toast too! Check the link in my signature below for drawings on how to fabricate all the new stuff. Make SURE to use a GOOD respirator and goggles when doing this. It's nasty stuff. We're here for ya so just keep postin pics and askin questions.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I meant to say the editing will not work for me.

And man i really hope the transom isn't rotted.

Where the rot is real bad in the stringers, the claw of my hammer went in like butter. Torwads the transom, everything feels much stronger. Maybe I'm kidding myself.

I just went out and stood on the motor and jumped up and down and I didn't see flexing. I'm hopeful damnit!

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i had planned to make some more progress today... but its snowing. So I'll buy some stuff and get it on the way.

Is there a good website or is better to just go to a supply store?

Also, what is the best way to get 24 years of gunk off the surfaces?

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bumper,
I just bought an 89 190 Sea Ray and found that my transom is rotted, my floor is all gone and the stringers are all rotted out too. Sounds like we have the same job on our boats. This weekend I have been busy on the deconstruction and have removed most of the bad timber and all the foam from the boat rearwards from the windshield. The rot extends right to the bow, so I'll have to remove the bow boxes and the foam filled boxes under the dash too. Essentially I'm replacing all the wood on the damn boat. Not particularly expensive and not rocket science either. Just slow and steady. I found a quick way of removing the foam from my hull. I treated it like a slab cake, nothing less. Used the sawzall to cut it into nice little squares and then hit it with my flat trowel that I used for drywalling. Shoved the trowel under the foam and it came out just like dishing out cake to the kids. Took minutes to remove it all.
Once I have the bow cleared out, it's on to the grinding job, and looking like Darth Vader with tyveck suit and respirator. I was really pleased this weekend when my 16 yr old son caame up and said Dad is their anything I can help you with. All good since then and I've got a partner now for the rebuild.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Between me, Brit and yourself it looks like we've got several good Sea Ray restorations going on. Keep asking questions. The advice and tips you'll get in here is awesome. Like I said earlier I have never taken on a project this large but because everyone has helped out with information I'm getting through it. I think fall asleep each night watching FRISCOBOATERS thread.

purito23

Cadet

Seems like we came to the right place. Alot of great info and guys in this forum.(Friscoboater,woodonglass,oops!,etc.) Too many more to mention. Im getting more comfortable and confident as i go cause of this website. After reading aloooooottttt of threads and also falling asleep watching friscos youtube vids (lol). The best we can do is go full steam ahead and just do the work. Im sure we will be fine.Good luck. Kevin

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bumper,
I just bought an 89 190 Sea Ray and found that my transom is rotted, my floor is all gone and the stringers are all rotted out too. Sounds like we have the same job on our boats. This weekend I have been busy on the deconstruction and have removed most of the bad timber and all the foam from the boat rearwards from the windshield. The rot extends right to the bow, so I'll have to remove the bow boxes and the foam filled boxes under the dash too. Essentially I'm replacing all the wood on the damn boat. Not particularly expensive and not rocket science either. Just slow and steady. I found a quick way of removing the foam from my hull. I treated it like a slab cake, nothing less. Used the sawzall to cut it into nice little squares and then hit it with my flat trowel that I used for drywalling. Shoved the trowel under the foam and it came out just like dishing out cake to the kids. Took minutes to remove it all.
Once I have the bow cleared out, it's on to the grinding job, and looking like Darth Vader with tyveck suit and respirator. I was really pleased this weekend when my 16 yr old son caame up and said Dad is their anything I can help you with. All good since then and I've got a partner now for the rebuild.

A trowel. Very smart. I was thinking earlier when i was working on getting foam out how nice it would be to have something like that after i sawzalled. I tried the dust pan but it didn't go so well. ha.

Tomorrow if it's not raining I'll make some better progress, with more tools.

Ok so here are a couple new pictures of todays progress.

The trailer is a bunk trailer, should i be concerned about the hull warping when the stringers are out? I may be transporting the empty hull to a different location (pretty much a paint booth) do to all the new woodworking and glassing and such.

Another concern I've got is I can see light coming through the keel in the bow, I figure now is the time to address this.

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

That's LIGHT
IMG_2820.jpg

Todays tools
IMG_2823.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Made some more progress yesterday.

Will universal gauges work? I'm thinking about redoing the helm setup with a different layout.

Got the gas tank out.. we drained 16 gallon of gas out of it. I'm trying to find a use for 16 gallons of gas that's probably not very good. Boy it was waayy lighter without the gas in it.

Got most of the interior the rest of the way out.. and all the wood was rotted. I haven't really come across much wood that was in decent shape.. my hopes for the transom are fading.

With this style of boat (built in swim platform w/ outboard), do I have to pull the cap off to redo the transom? Based on what I can see, it would be pretty difficult otherwise... :(

Im concerned about the dash hanging without support. I took the windshield off hoping that would relieve some stress, but it didnt do much. I guess I'll have to build something to prop them up.

MY BIGGEST QUESTION!??? How the iuagxcoq87tw087t4pgyqfASD7623 do the outboard controls come off!? I got them off but it was destroyed in the process (it was already in bad shape), right now I'm just thinking about how to get new controls on.

I really want to get this thing gutted so i can get to work on the new floor.

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well done Bumper, your de-construction is looking good. Mine is an 89 Sear Ray 180 with an Inboard engine. My transom is shot, so that's already out. Can't offer any suggestion on removing the transom on your outboard boat. You don't appear to have much wiggle room do you? This weekend I have to remove the wood from underneath the dash as well as the bow boxes to get to the rotten floor, so like you I'll have no support for the dash units. If you check out Friscoboater's SR 220 rebuild you'll see he to do exactly the same and he used 3 x2's to support the units till the floor and new boxes were in place.
It's 86 degrees here today and the same forecast for the weekend. Although hot, I want to get as much done as I can before the brutal temperatures really kick in. Am doing all my boat work outside under a pop up canopy with a box fan for cooling.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can cut the gunwales a foot in front of the splashwell like this...
CuttingoffBackSplash.jpg

and then glass em back in once the transom is done. Not to bad of a task. I would build some 2 x 4 legs to put under the dash for support. Did you keep the pieces that were broken during the removal process of the controls? If so, you should be able to patch them back together and put it all back to a reasonable facsimile of how it was before.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Hi Bumperlt12,
I finished a Sea Ray similar to yours (but a little older) last summer. I am an accountant with absolutely no prior glass or carpentry experience. These guys (and gals) got me through it and it came out great. However, I was in complete denial of my transom issues (even though Bond-o warned me on day 1) and wound up doing mine bass ackwards.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Woodonglass- Can you post a couple more pictures of that, and also the final product? I hadn't planned on re-painting or gelcoating the boat at this point, and it looks like I would have to in order to do it that way and have the final product look good? I like this idea over separating the the cap, so that the hull doesn't get tweaked. To do this I would have to pull off the aluminum/rubber trim piece that wraps the boat, which already needs some work, is there somewhere i can buy new material to redo it?

SD- I'm a little nervous, but I can normally do anything I set my mind on as long as I don't lose interest or run out of money! ha!

I been looking for a good thread with a transom replacement running an OUTBOARD, but can't find one. Ill keep looking but if anyone can link one that would be great.

Here's where I'm at. This weekend I hope to get the lumber out from under the captains area, and maybe start grinding.

At this point I've let go of any hope of a good transom and am preparing myself to redo it.

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, so how much old material do i need to be grinding out? All the way down to the original hull? The bow has so much hard material and grinding it is taking a very long time. Where the stringers and bulkheads go I'm grinding down to the original surface, but old PB and whatever else was used to hold wood in, is really caked on there.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did a little grinding today, then i did a lot of sanding, then more sanding, and then a little more sanding.

I think i am going to cut off the last 24" or so of the cap so I can get to the transom.

SAM_2866.jpg

SAM_2865.jpg

SAM_2867.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the rain won't let up. Its moving to it's new location inside a shop this weekend. I wanted to get more done in the driveway because the shop is a 40 min drive. Oh well.