• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. NEW PICTURES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. PICTURES

Hi Bumperlt12,
    I finished a Sea Ray similar to yours (but a little older) last summer. I am an accountant with absolutely no prior glass or carpentry experience. These guys (and gals) got me through it and it came out great. However, I was in complete denial of my transom issues (even though Bond-o warned me on day 1) and wound up doing mine bass ackwards.
    SDSeville
    1986 19' Sea Ray Seville BR (restored 2011)
    Merc 470 A679763/Alpha 1
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=380371
    Speedi-sleeves, Breezeworks alternator conversion, 4" heat exchanger (stock that year), Electric fuel pump

Comment

Woodonglass- Can you post a couple more pictures of that, and also the final product? I hadn't planned on re-painting or gelcoating the boat at this point, and it looks like I would have to in order to do it that way and have the final product look good? I like this idea over separating the the cap, so that the hull doesn't get tweaked. To do this I would have to pull off the aluminum/rubber trim piece that wraps the boat, which already needs some work, is there somewhere i can buy new material to redo it?

SD- I'm a little nervous, but I can normally do anything I set my mind on as long as I don't lose interest or run out of money! ha!

I been looking for a good thread with a transom replacement running an OUTBOARD, but can't find one. Ill keep looking but if anyone can link one that would be great.

Here's where I'm at. This weekend I hope to get the lumber out from under the captains area, and maybe start grinding.

At this point I've let go of any hope of a good transom and am preparing myself to redo it.

1991 Searay 220DA, 5.0L, Alpha 1
      1986 Seaswirl Spirit 16' w/ 90hp Mercury (SOLD)
      1988 Searay Seville 18.5' w/ 135hp Mercury (SOLD)
      1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Alright, so how much old material do i need to be grinding out? All the way down to the original hull? The bow has so much hard material and grinding it is taking a very long time. Where the stringers and bulkheads go I'm grinding down to the original surface, but old PB and whatever else was used to hold wood in, is really caked on there.
        1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Did a little grinding today, then i did a lot of sanding, then more sanding, and then a little more sanding.

I think i am going to cut off the last 24" or so of the cap so I can get to the transom.

1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Well the rain won't let up. Its moving to it's new location inside a shop this weekend. I wanted to get more done in the driveway because the shop is a 40 min drive. Oh well.
            1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Im trying to get a material list together to start shopping around a little. Where would someone recommend getting the materials to do this? I have been to the us composites site but I got lost. I was looking for 1708, which i'm sure they, but I didn't see anything labeled that. I need a place that is idiot proof... because im currently at idiot status with all this...
              1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Well done Bumper, that hull sure looks clean now. I'm still behind you on mine. I started to do some sawing out of remaining wood and reduce some of the FB glass seams with saw to cut down on grinding but got rained of. Temps are creeping up, was 84 this morning and now rain! Ugh. Hope to get the last of the sawing and start on the grinding and sanding.
                My next stage will be to source plywood and poly resins and all the FB glass stuff. We have US Composites here in FL, but as I said on another thread, the only problem with buying poly resin from an online supplier is that it is a hazardous material and they limit to 5 gallons what UPS will deliver at one time, plus they hit you with a hazardous fee of I've seen between $30.00 and $50.00 quoted. I think West Marine carry all the resins and mats, so I may well price them out with them and see how they compare with online suppliers. I can drive up to the local West Marine and put the stuff I need in the back of the truck and the hazardous fee stays in my wallet!

Comment

I didn't know west marine carried fiberglass stuff. I'll have to look into that. Something tells me they want a lot for it.. maybe worth it if theres no shipping involved though.
                  1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Hi Bumper just came apon your resto. Your making good progress on the gut out. I see you have it on a bunk trailer.....did you block up along the outer chine to support the hull from spreading?

On your supplies...US Composites is the place I went to....good guys there...

435 Standard Polyester Layup Resin
                    http://www.*****************/polyesters.html

DBM 1708 Biaxial
                    http://www.*****************/specialty.html

1-1/2oz Chopped Strand Mat
                    http://www.*****************/mat.html

Hope the links help you out
                    87 Four Winns 210 Horizon 350 Merc/Alpha 1

Resto Thread 210 Horizon http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=458229

Comment

Hi, YES thank you I was going through hell.

And um.. no.. I hadn't read anything about blocking it. I'm leaving 90% of the cap on so i didn't think it would spread. I will search the forums for this after i hit post.

A quick google search of chine is tells me it's the sharpest outer edge, I interperate (sp?) that as where the side meets the bottom. If thats the case, the deck of the floor didn't even go that wide to hold it in, (I think it does on most) so should i really be concerned?

Also, 18' foot, only 2 stringers, needs to rebuild all the wood. Do i need to buy a whole roll of 1708 and CSM? Will i use that much? I'm planning on 10 gallons of resin.. sufficient?
                      1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

I did a full on cap resto.....My windshield now has a gap 3/4" ......life lesson.....

Comment

That's not my boat, so I don't have pics of the finished product. If you have not already you shold be taking a LOT of measurements of the boat especially at the deck line, to ensure you can glass in the deck with the exact specs as the old one. If you don't want to cut then you will have to decapitate her. Try and be careful with the rub rail and keep her in tact. They are expensive to replace.
                          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Bumperlt12 View Post
                            Hi, YES thank you I was going through hell.

And um.. no.. I hadn't read anything about blocking it. I'm leaving 90% of the cap on so i didn't think it would spread. I will search the forums for this after i hit post.

A quick google search of chine is tells me it's the sharpest outer edge, I interperate (sp?) that as where the side meets the bottom. If thats the case, the deck of the floor didn't even go that wide to hold it in, (I think it does on most) so should i really be concerned?

Also, 18' foot, only 2 stringers, needs to rebuild all the wood. Do i need to buy a whole roll of 1708 and CSM? Will i use that much? I'm planning on 10 gallons of resin.. sufficient?

well you'll have to have fun with math....stringer length and height x 2 ....2 layers of csm from top of stringer to 4" onto hull then 6" to hull....Then biax top of stringer to 6" on hull then 8" on hull...

csm 1 layer bottom of deck/sole... top of deck 2 layers csm..... 1 biax..... plus bulkheads....transom etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
                              That's not my boat, so I don't have pics of the finished product. If you have not already you shold be taking a LOT of measurements of the boat especially at the deck line, to ensure you can glass in the deck with the exact specs as the old one. If you don't want to cut then you will have to decapitate her. Try and be careful with the rub rail and keep her in tact. They are expensive to replace.
                              I don't mind cutting it. I guess i was looking for a little guidance on glassing it back together, but i know its possible so I'll worry about that later.

I've been taking a lot of pictures and have a good idea how things will go back. And some measuring.

The rub rail isn't in good shape and i was considering replacing it anyways, know where I can get the materials to do so?

I think I am going to take it off the trailer when I move it to its summer home, so I'm going to have to research the best way to do that.

Here's some pictures from todays progress

1999 F250 4.6 Triton

Comment

Nice job! Looks like you've put in a ton of hours getting all the rot out. Now, that the grinding in done (definitely, the worst part to all this), you'll start to see it all come together.
                                SB89

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=534551

Comment

Working...
                                X