Acrylic lacquer resin on aluminum.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys just wanted your expertise. Never been much of a paint person, more of a motor man. 16' Starcraft aluminum hull, and I want to give myself some floatable reassurance. I am pretty sure at this point my boat has no leaks, but I am docking it for a week at hatteras sound. Longest its been on the water is 6-7 hours with 4 people, and didnt have any water in the bilge from what I could tell. Not sure if any got "foam locked" though.

Anyway I have a gallon of some really nice $200 acrylic lacquer resin. I was wondering, if I paint on two coats of that on the bottom would it hold up for a few years, and would it help to give me some leaky rivet reassurance? Or should I coat some gluvit, and then topcoat it with the resin. Keep in mind that I already own the resin. What type of prep should I do for the aluminum? Or would either of these products stick directly to the all-loved aluminum oxide?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Acrylic lacquer resin on aluminum.

Gluvit + paint would be the only thing I'd consider. The other options just sound like a mess you'll have to deal with later.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Gluvit + paint would be the only thing I'd consider. The other options just sound like a mess you'll have to deal with later.

Sup EZ, my man? Okay, so what type of paint should I use? I bought this resin as a topcoat, supposedly you are supposed to be able to put any type of metal paint on the boat and then give it a lacquer resin topcoat, thats why I ended up buying it (it was on clearance also) But if you think I should just get some gluvit what would you topcoat it with?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good 'ol Rustoleum! or the current forum favorite low-cost painting option, Valspar Tractor & Implement paint with their available hardener. Sold at Tractor Supply.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Good 'ol Rustoleum! or the current forum favorite low-cost painting option, Valspar Tractor & Implement paint with their available hardener. Sold at Tractor Supply.

Nice thanks man! Ill check that out on the way home!! If I use the Tractor paint and hardener, does it mix together? Should I still get some gluvit as well?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Acrylic Resin Lacquer paint is Very good stuff. However it is very difficult to apply. It dries extremly fast and can ruin your spray equipment if you don't stay on top of it. EZ is correct. Use gluvit to seal any suspect rivets or seams and then prep the boat appropriately for paint. Check the link in the bottom of my signature. It has the details you are looking for.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit is best applied on the rivets and seams from the inside. Sounds like you're not planning on pulling the deck on this boat. I don't know what I'd mess with applying it on the outside unless you have some specific leaks you were working on.

Yes you mix the hardener with the paint. Woodonglass has a whole thread about that paint somewhere's.

A bilge pump with an auto float switch should be all you need for keep your boat in the water for a week. I took my leaky Jupiter to OC, MD fpr a week and it did fine (I slathered some JB on all the suspect looking rivets ahead of time).

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Okay cool, well thanks as always fellas. Don't get me wrong Ez, I like to do things correctly. Just been working on this boat/motor combo for about 3 months now, and I want it to be ready for the spring. If I am going to pull the deck, Im going to take my time, and do it right. That would mean doing it next winter. I do not think that I have any leaks, so like you said, for right now it sounds like I need to just get an autoswitch for my super bilgepump!