Pontoon Seat Rebuild and Upholstery Job

JDA1975

Lieutenant
I am creating this post to follow a new project I am doing in hopes that it might help others doing something similar. If this post breaks any forum rules please let me know!

Anyhow my customer came today with his deposit and a pile of trashed out pontoon seats he wants remade. going to keep the same look, 2 tone brown and tan, rebuild the benches then upholster them....a couple modifications to the sizes but otherwise unchanged in design

*Edit: Scratch the otherwise unchanged in design comment...These were completely redesigned during the course of this project*

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

As you can see nothing is salvageable, save the hardware, will use these for measurements then throw em on the burn pile...I am excited to be taking this on, since projects like these might fund my own boat addictions!

I plan to have this done in 1 month or less, I will try to video some of this project (new phone has a video recorder on it so we shall see how that works out!

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Pontoon Seat Rebuild and Reupholstery Job

You have WORK ahead of you. Please post "in-progress" pictures if you can. ;)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Looks to be a very extensive upholstery job! Look forward to watching...

Is it done yet?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I will post pictures as I go...like my boat thread...what I don't say in many words, I make up for with an overdose of pictures lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great googly~moogly, that's a big ole pile of 'toon seats! Looks like it should pay a pretty penny though! And for sure ought to at least off-set the cost of your last derby car's slick lacquer paint job!

Congrats! Good Luck & looking forward to a few videos.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OH, Yeah!!! That'll give the Slant 66 a workout!!!! Looking forward to the Pics and Vids on this one. I KNOW it will be quality work!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Great googly~moogly, that's a big ole pile of 'toon seats! Looks like it should pay a pretty penny though! And for sure ought to at least off-set the cost of your last derby car's slick lacquer paint job!

Congrats! Good Luck & looking forward to a few videos.

It is not going to pay a pretty penny, just enough to make a little extra to work on my own boat....I don't the rules on posting the price i am charging so check your PM....it isn't about getting rich for me though, I want to be able to do something like this on my terms (timewise, no boss to call in sick for etc.) I have zero overhead so anything not used on materials goes toward my boat fund...already told the wife I don't care if we are starving broke and cold on the street...my project money is for my projects lol

OH, Yeah!!! That'll give the Slant 66 a workout!!!! Looking forward to the Pics and Vids on this one. I KNOW it will be quality work!!!

yes it will...I am looking for a new machine, if I come across one soon I will buy it up...my slant can handle it though, and since its tune up the stitch rate is a lot better

JDA1975

Lieutenant

so far so good....got all my materials ordered and came in 70 bucks under budget so far...I might make some money on this job still lol....lets just hope i calculated what I needed right....being my first time doing a job of this size and all.... work will begin tomorrow, already have my wood to begin building bases... did my drawings today so looking good for now!

jbcurt00

Staff member

:cool::)Way to go!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Removed all the foam from the old seats, the majority of it wasn't in too bad shape...mildly moist in spots, but overall dry and firm....a couple pieces were pretty wet. I put them all on my patio, standing up next to the screen to get good air flow, allowing any moisture to be released, and to air them out to remove any odors. Does anyone know if this foam will dry out, how long it takes, or if the wet pieces are just gonna have to be chocked up to a loss?

IMG_4195.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It'll dry. You can help it if you got and old rollin pin and roll the water out. Beat it with an old tennis racquet helps too.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Would a box fan aid the drying?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, that too!! Or a good speech by a Politician!!!!!:eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member

:eek:Easy WOG we don't want there to be a fire sale over Judge's way.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Dunno if a box fan would help much being that it is on an open screened patio! cant get much more wind then old mother nature! glad to hear it will dry out, if I can salvage the foam on hand, and use what I have left from my donor couches I should be fine...he told me donor foam would fit his taste just fine if it saves him money, so I am going to try and keep as much as I can from this. I will try the rolling pin to speed things along, thanks Wood and JB

jbcurt00

Staff member

Actively moving air is the goal, if the wind is about continuous, can't do better then that. If not, make a 3 sided channel out of the cushions & use the fan at 1 end, like a tunnel. Foam cooling tower;) just on it's side w/ a somewhat strong smelling air.:facepalm:

You guys have very low humidity out your way? Cooling tower effect won't work well in very humid climates.

Donor couches are going to get scarce when this operation takes off. Cool, keep them off the fraternity bon fires, and out of the landfill.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes that old foam will dry out. Actually you should bathe it in a bleach solution and treat it with a funguside From there find a method to steam it and watch it expand back to its orignal size. Now if you dont treat that stuf its very possible you could a pink stain on new vinyl much more common than you might think.( Bacterial)

By the way id bet thats 500 to 1000 dollars worth of foam you have there.

http://www.garysupholstery.com/marineupholsteryfoam.html

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks tail...I was debating doing something with the ones that were dirty...a lot came out pretty clean and dry, but as you can see a few are pretty stained/wet....I will try your method of cleaning them and if I am not satisfied with it, I will toss those ones, I was more worried about possible mold, but bacterial stain makes sense

cyclops2

Banned

Some of those old molds & mildews do not quit if the foam is damp deep inside the piece. When recovered the humidity goes way up all over the foam.
Tail gunner is right on the stains.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

After many boat upholstry jobs I recomend bleaching and placing in a plastic bag overnight. Nothing will live in the foam after the chlorine gas permiates the foam. I then rinse and spin dry in washing machine and let sit in the sun a day to air out. I reuse on average 80% of the foam on my jobs . I then will add 1/4 or 1/2 inch knit back foam when making the new seats. this gives you cleaner lines and the new foam feel to your seats. I only replace dry rotted foam.
I Have done done high dollar boats using this method.