Well guys, i think i may have taken my favorite picture of the boat yet

8378badc.jpg

c2f462d5.jpg

The prop looks and performs great. It looks better than new IMO

ec31d737.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Took it out again today and with me and one other person it ran 47 mph at WOT. I think this number is pretty decent for the size and weight of the hull. She ran great... but of course there is always more to the story. my sister put the seat cushions up to turn the rear seats into a sun deck for the first time and since i never use it i forgot to take them down. Somewhere we lost them on the highway :facepalm:

At least i have a good upholstery guy!

tpenfield

Staff member

Took it out again today and with me and one other person it ran 47 mph at WOT. I think this number is pretty decent for the size and weight of the hull. She ran great... but of course there is always more to the story. my sister put the seat cushions up to turn the rear seats into a sun deck for the first time and since i never use it i forgot to take them down. Somewhere we lost them on the highway :facepalm:

At least i have a good upholstery guy!

Oh, man that sucks. Do you think that they will be easy to replicate? Perhaps something with a locking mechanism to keep them from coming loose when they are in the 'sunpad' position??

First the propeller and now the cushions . . . So, how much $$$ do you figure each outing with the boat costs ??? Been there, done that . .

Hopefully, everything will settle in and you will get some good and uneventful use out of it.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read through your thread,nice work that came out great.sorry about your bad luck lately.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

well guys im finally back in town, and this time its for a good while! I was out of cell phone range in Colorado and when i returned i called my dad and was informed that the cushions had been replaced! He said he felt bad about my bad luck lately so he cut out new wooden seat bases and got them upholstered! they look pretty good, the upholstery guy decided to do pleating in them which im not sure if i like or not but oh well, its better than having nothing there at all. Im sure it will grow on me.

As for the cost per outing... im scared to even know :facepalm: Were taking it out tomorrow so wish me luck

RCrockett

Seaman

I have been reading through your post and it has given me a lot of hope for my boat. I too have a 1989 Wellcraft Eclipse 186. Mine is red and has the smaller motor. It has a mercruiser 3.7 224 ci motor. I have two soft spots in my floor and am getting ready to do the same restoration. I am dreading it and excited to start it at the same time. I cant tell you how much all of your posts have given me the feeling that I CAN do this. These Boat are great looking boats and yours shows me what it can be. Thanks again and enjoy all of your hard work.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
well I'm back at it again replacing the transom for anyone who is interested. I'm working full time 6 days a week now so progress might be slow but i will post pics shortly, the engine i pulled the engine this week and the grinding will hopefully start this sunday, stay tuned!

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
got the transom ground out today, if anyone has any information about how much resin it takes to glass a transom it would be mush appreciated, I'm thinking three gallons will be enough, but I'm not certain. if anyone can chime in it will be much appreciated

tpenfield

Staff member
It has been a while since I have seen your posts, etc. Did not realize that the transom was still to be done. You are in the ball park with 3 gallons, as long as you can get more quickly, if needing some additional resin.

Post up some pictures when you can. :thumb:

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
tpenfield, the boat was completed but i had a bushing go bad in the flywheel housing and when i pulled the motor you could see the transom flexing so it was time to cut the boat open again, after this it should be smooth sailing

RCrockett

Seaman
Oh man. Sorry to hear that you have to tear into it again. I had to put mine aside for a while and have just gotten back into it. I am putting in my transom at the moment. Got it cut out and glued the pieces together. Hopefully will be glassingit in next weekend.

Hopefully yoursgoes back together fast. Good luck