1979 Ranger bass boat paint or gel

Ranger168v

Recruit
Hello all, I'm not new to the forum, for some reason my old account (Mlitt12345) will not let me post or reply. All posting permissions are disabled and I don't know why so I made a new acct. I have a 1979 Ranger 168v bass boat that I have been restoring since I acquired it in 2009. It was in bad shape cosmetically but the hull and motor were good. I have been able to bring back the gel (shine) on the sides by wet sanding and compounding but the top cap and fiberglass fenders on the trailer are down to the flake. So I need some suggestions on what I should do. Paint or gel whole boat or just do the faded topcap and fenders. The boat is 33yrs old so not worth taking it to a pro. I'm willing to learn and welcome all suggestions. What would you do? Here are some pics of the day I got it and what it looks like now. Thanks, Mike

The day I brought it home in 2009
cid__0628091829.jpg

cid__0628091828.jpg

cid__0628091827.jpg

What it looks like today
1008091642.jpg

1008091643a.jpg

DSC00359-1.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Ranger bass boat paint or gel

Here's the deal, Paint is Many hours of sanding and filling, sanding and priming and sanding some more and 30 minutes of painting. Gelcoating is 30 minutes of Spraying and Many hours of Sanding and Polishing. Gelcoat is usually much more durable but does require a bit more specialized equipment to apply and finish and to a degree a bit more pricey. Painting can be much more economical, somewhat easier for the DIY'er, equipment more readily available but somewhat less durable. Sooo... now you have the basic facts of the the two methods. I could prep and prime and paint the top cap in a weekend cuz I am NOT a Gelcoater. A gelcoater would prolly say the same. You could get a pretty good durable paint job using Valspar Tractor Paint with Hardener for under $75 bucks. (Check the Paint Your Boat link below). Gelcoat would cost more than that and for someone who's never done it take a lot longer and with questionable results.

Bottom line...It's your choice.

Ranger168v

Recruit

Woodonglass, thanks for the reply. I have the equipment already to spray the valspar and looking at the ford blue color at tractor supply it looks like a close match, also would be cheaper then gel route but was just wondering how the boat would look with no poly flake on top cap and the rest of the boat has the polyflake. Thanks, Mike

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey the Fish Won't know the difference, and besides that stuff is Very Glossy and Really Looks nice when done. It's hard as nails too. I think you'll really like it.