1984 Silverton 34C Remodel/Update/Upgrade PIC HEAVY

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Got the paper back veneer on and started coating it. Looking ok so far, but there are some bubbles in it that I think are caused by my adhesive.

Love the ribbon striped sapele!!!
Bubbles in the Veneer or in the Clear Coat?? If it's in the veneer use a T-Pin to poke a hole in the bubble and then a J-Roller to roll out the air and press the veneer back down. If its bubbles in the Clear Coat, Wet sand em out and then on the next coat use a Hair dryer to help heat the surface and raise the air bubbles to the surface. What clear coat are you using?

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, Bubbles in the veneer. I like the pin hole roll the air out idea. The coating I have switched to inside the boat is just Helmsman spar urethane. Can coat it quick, and it looks good after a bunch of sanded smooth coats. I'm thinking of grabbing more veneer and doing more areas.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, the pin hole should work for ya. Try the hair dryer on the Spar Varnish too! You'll be surprised. Also if you thin it a bit it'll flow better. I like to use a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Xylene for thinner. About 10% at the most. Are you rolling or brushing" Using foam or Hair brush? Make sure not to SHAKE it. Only gently stir it! Don't want to introduce any air into the mix!!!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
All good advice. For the build coats it's just a toss away foam or bristle brush. The final coat or two gets a good brush, brushed in ine direction, into the wet edge, and not disturbed till dry.