Wellcraft Eclipse 196 Rebuild

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wellcraft Eclipse 196 Rebuild

Thanks, I really do like the style of this wellcraft. The hull itself is in really good shape. You are right on, it was rotten to the core:cool:
Cloth mat on the bare transom core in one layer or more? I will need to be some epoxy. I was planning on using polyester for the layup on stringers, and floor. It seems the choice between epoxy and poly is somewhat a matter of personal taste.
What I do read is that epoxy is a much better bonder/glue than poly so I will take the advice and wait on some epoxy before doing the transom.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Started on the transom today. I decided to do a build up of the transom area before trying to do the glueup. I put 4 layers of 1808 on the transom. This was my first time of doing any fiberglass work and must say, it went very well. When i return from work on Friday, I will check the specs and trueness of the transom and get on with the transom glueup.
I know this may be old hat to most of you but thought I would pass on a tool that a I made to help check the trueness of the transom thickness.

transom009-1.jpg

It works great. I have made some other tools over the years for different tasks. This is one that is very easy to make and use.

chriscraft254

Commander

Glad you got the pics worked out. Did you measure the original thickness of the transom. You will want that to be the same going back in. Hopefully Opps and a couple of the other experts here will be along to point you in the right direction on things.

Not sure cedar would be as good as going with something like Marine Ply. If its incapsulated correctly it will more than likely last you 20 years though. The plywood is much stronger, but it will all be bonded with glass so..... Good luck with the rebuild.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Chris, that is what the caliper is for. I did measure it for thickness and trueness. That is why I did the build up. I am in from work for a couple of days so will get back on the truing of transom. Hope I can get it glued in tomorrow.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Epoxy - Polyester resin question. I glued in the transom today using a thickened epoxy. I did not get the epoxy quite thick enough and quite a bit of it squeezed out. I have ground most of it off the wood but have a question about the compatibility of the two resins. I understand that polyester does not bond well to epoxy. How well does the epoxy need to be ground away before I can do the fiberglass overlay. I have included some pictures to better explain my question.
You can see the small fillet of epoxy. Can I add additional Thickened poly resin to make the fillet before doing the glassing?
March042.jpg

You can see where I have ground the resin off the wood and for the most part, off the fiberglass. Is this good enough?
March041.jpg

In this photo, you can see the resin that has run down under the bottom. Does all of that need to be ground out or can I fillet that also, before I do the glass overlay?
March040.jpg

Maybe oops or someone else in the expert arena can give me some help on this.

Thanks Guys.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Got the transom filleted in today. I would have gotten more done but rain caused a lot of problems. Hope to get the layup done when I get in from work this weekend.

March12031.jpg

This may not mean anything to you but I discovered the perfect tool for my fillets. My father passed away back in 1996. One of the things I have of his is an old molasses spoon that he used to measure molasses into the milk cows feed.
March12037.jpg

It is about 12 inches long and has the perfect shape for the fillets. Depending on the angle that you hold it, it can make a fillet from about 1/2 inch to almost an 1". It is perfect.
March12034.jpg

Like I said, probably won't mean much to any of you, but it is just a little something that my long gone father may have a small part in this rebuild.

chriscraft254

Commander

Looks like a great tool to me, just make sure it doesn't say paul revere somewhere on it or Revere. If it does, might be worth a 100G.:) I'm sure your dad is smiling on you.