Bow Rail Bases

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
I had to mangle these bases to remove my stainless bow rail. They are 2 1/4" diameter -I need new ones. They were welded only from the back. Where would be a good place to get new ones - they must be polished stainless 2 1/4".
DSC01029.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Bow Rail Bases

Those dont look to be bases of any kind .. just the rings that were welded to the bases..

They come in different angles..

Check the Iboats ship store or West M. ..

YD.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Pound them flat with a BFHammer, 'n weld 'em back onto the stanchions...

That Was a custom welded rail, before ya beat it apart...

Set-screw bases May, or may Not work for it...

johnnyClack

Seaman Apprentice

I agree, pound them flat, use a die grinder and a stainless flapper pad to buff them out, tack weld them from the back ( tig weld if you locate one) install and you'll never know the difference....:rolleyes:

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Those dont look to be bases of any kind .. just the rings that were welded to the bases..

They come in different angles..

Check the Iboats ship store or West M. ..

YD.

Ayuh,... Pound them flat with a BFHammer, 'n weld 'em back onto the stanchions...

That Was a custom welded rail, before ya beat it apart...

Set-screw bases May, or may Not work for it...
Whoever put the bolts in, beat them over from the inside - I could not cut them off with a dremel ( not enough room )and I couldn't unscrew the nuts because the bolts were bent bad- the heads kept spinning around-I had a hell of a time trying to drill them out; 3 days. Now the screw holes are to big. I'm afraid I can't use them because the rest of the restoration will be close to show quality. All the bases I see are attached to an upright. This was a custom welded bowrail. I was wondering where I could get some new ones made - Thanks for all the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Whoever put the bolts in, beat them over from the inside - I could not cut them off with a dremel ( not enough room )and I couldn't unscrew the nuts because the bolts were bent bad- the heads kept spinning around-I had a hell of a time trying to drill them out; 3 days. Now the screw holes are to big. I'm afraid I can't use them because the rest of the restoration will be close to show quality. All the bases I see are attached to an upright. This was a custom welded bowrail. I was wondering where I could get some new ones made - Thanks for all the help.

Ayuh,... Will any of these help,..??

Otherwise, you need a Welder...

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... Will any of these help,..??

Otherwise, you need a Welder...

Thanks for looking those up for me - I just need the flat washer type part like the photo. I guess a metal fabrication place could hook me up. They have a 60 degree 1" hole. I was hoping I could just order them online.