Boat Cushion Velcro?

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So I'm making new front seats for my boat. I was at the miami boat show today, specifically looking at how all of the new boats keep there cushions down. The one I saw that was interested, was like this velcro-like stuff. But it wasn't velcro, it was the same on both sides, kind of a hard plastic. It's the same kind of stuff that comes with your mobile speedpass or EZpass. But it was bigger squares of it, screwed to the boat and to the cushions. And it seemed to be keeping it pretty firmly attached. What is this stuff called? Where do you get it?

Here's two pics I took of it. I think the round was the cushion and the square was on the boat.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/418/squarel.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/866/roundd.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Cushion Velcro?

never seen it.......ill check in to it at campion

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what kind of boat were they on?

l008com

HAH no clue. I was on a lot of boats today!

Trooper82

Commander

I'd say it looks like 3M Dual Lock, A type of Heavy Duty Velcro.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

looks like hook and loop to me, velcro on steroids

l008com

Do you guys think that stuff is a good choice for keeping bow seat cushions in place? I know they'll work at first but does this kind of stuff unstick (although I'll screw it in) or get brittle and break?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the life of velcro and hook/loop depends a lot on how much you take it apart...if it will only be occasionally it will last a long time, but plastic being what it is gets weaker with every bend...so each time you pull it apart it will degrade some....that being said it should last quite a while on bow cushions IMO, and apparently in the opinion of the builders too!

Trooper82

Commander

3M site says they are good for 1,000 closures. I wouldn't want to take a guess at how long they might last. But they should be easy to replace where they are screwed in. How were they mounted on the actual cushion? Just adhesive or sewn in? If Sewn in and were on a tab sticking out I'd think they could be replaced there easy too. If sewn directly into the bottom of cushion, that would make it hard to replace.

l008com

the life of velcro and hook/loop depends a lot on how much you take it apart...if it will only be occasionally it will last a long time, but plastic being what it is gets weaker with every bend...so each time you pull it apart it will degrade some....that being said it should last quite a while on bow cushions IMO, and apparently in the opinion of the builders too!

Any guesses? Like, a year, two years, ten years? Are there any other solutions for this kind of mounting? I was originally looking for some kind of magnetic latches but I didn't find any good ones.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've been toying with the idea of using Rare Earth magnets to hold my seat cushions in place on my rear bench seat. They really have a "Bite" to them, come in various Strengths, and Never wear out and I don't see why they would not work. I've not done it yet but I think I am going to give it a go.

l008com

You'd need a good bracket for them though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm thinkin of epoxy'n em into the frames of the seats and the frames for the boat.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Can't speak for this Dual Lock stuff...

I considered some pretty heavy duty Velcro for the cushions I made for the front of my bowrider.

Two things stopped me:
-Velcro (the hook side) always picks up lint, string, dust and all manner of crap that makes it not stick together well. And picking that stuff out is not fun.
-I would kick myself so hard if my cushions flew out on the highway because I used something that didn't hold.

I did something with good old stainless hardware that definitely will not fly out on the highway. But then, I was able to get my hands up behind the glass to through-bolt from behind...can you do that on your vessel? Will your cushions have a solid core of some kind (resined wood, starboard)?

l008com

This stuff I found was not traditional velcro at all, it won't pick up any crap like velcro does. And my cushions aren't going any where. Right now I drive around with them just laying in place, and they don't have any problems. The only time they move is in choppy seas, then I have to pick them up off the floor.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Well if your cushions stay in place while trailering, and just need a little something to help them stay in place while on the water, I say go ahead and give it a shot.

Can you get a small sample of the material, make a small "test" cushion, and give it a sea trial?

l008com

So I was looking for stainless steel magnetic cabinet catches on Lowe's website, and I came across this type of latch:
http://ipsite.org/17pe

A few of those just might do the trick. Although with those, or with magnets, it would still be helpful if I had some kind of guides in addition to the latches.

l008com

Hey here's a thought. This is probably the wrong forum for this but...
Rare earth magnets are pretty powerful. What are the odds that people will sit on my bow seats and fry the electronics in their pockets?

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

Slim to none I use them to hold the cup holder on my kayak and I have had no issues and my phone is relatively close to it just don't make direct contact and you should be fine.