Prep for painting inside of Livingston boat

OhopJoe

Cadet
Ok. So Woodonglass told me I should start my own post, so the dude abides.

So this is my second attempt of painting the inside of a Livingston boat. The problem with my first livingston was that the paint including primer would scratch of easily. So obviously, something has to be done to prep the surface better for better adhesion of the primer, but since the inside of livingston have very rough surfaces it is impossible to sand it all. You can see the woven and chopped mat fibergrass and feel it, and that is how these boats come. Here are a couple of close-up of pix I found on the internet.
So how to prep a surface like for the primer? Thank you.

Attachments

• 2825575587u_8x424x360f.jpg
    2825575587u_8x424x360f.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 6970743.jpg
    6970743.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prep for painting inside of Livingston boat

Ok. So Woodonglass told me I should start my own post, so the dude abides.

Ayuh,.... He Did,..??

I gave ya a couple Tips too didn't he,..??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

LOL Bond-O!!!:D

OHJ,

The key to any paint job is prep, prep, and more prep. Clean is first. I recommend a TrisodiumPhospate(get it @ Lowe's and mix per instructions) wash with a stiff bristled brush. Let dry. Use 60 grit paper like Bond-o suggested and sand her down. Wasn again with TSP and then a final Wash down with a stiff bristled brush with Acetone. Use a Primer. IMHO this is one of the most overlooked critical steps in painting. Primers are specifically designed with binders to both adhere to the substrate and to aid in the adherance of the top coat. Do not leave out this step. Since your boat interior has texture you should use a 1/2" nap roller that will allow the pad to get down into all the crevices of the texture and apply the primer. Do not put on a thick first coat of primer. Use 320 grit to sand first coat of primer then apply a medium coat of primer. Wet sand with 320 and wash down with acetone. Apply first coat of Color. Wet sand with 320 or Scotch Brite pad between coats of color. Color coats should be apply with foam rollers. I Highly recommend using Valspar Tractor Paint from Tractor Supply and the Hardener that they sell. It is a very durable final coat that will last a long time in the marine environment. They also sell the primer recommended for the paint. Should cost you less than $80 bucks for Paint Rollers TSP and Acetone.

OhopJoe

Cadet

Thank you very much. So I guess it won't matter that I won't be able to get all the old paint out of the crevices. Tractor Paint, eh? John Deer Green WOULD look good! ;) Again, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll post some pictures once done.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I love tellin people to paint their boats with Tractor Paint. It is acrylic enamel paint almost exactly the same formula used for auto paint. With the hardener it comes out just about the same and a lot cheaper. They have multiple colors and you can mix em to get any color you want. But... JD Green IS a good color, not sure for your boat though:p

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

So obviously, something has to be done to prep the surface better for better adhesion of the primer, but since the inside of livingston have very rough surfaces it is impossible to sand it all.So how to prep a surface like for the primer? Thank you.

Well Joe..thats a very good question for the Iboaters here. Im sure your not the First one wondering how to "prep a textured surface" good enough to apply primer or topcoats without failing.

The answer is Simple to a Pro .. we Prep no Matter what it takes. Sometimes that means subcontracting a blaster to come in and remove ALL of the coatings right down to bare Fiberglass and then start our Primer stages and work our way up to the topcoat.

The answer to a DIY'er would be a little more or less complicated..

First off..If your Surface Coating that your trying to prep for more application of coatings fails..then your coating fails..

If your Surface coating is bonded properly ..then your ahead of the game.. you just need to make sure your prep is proper for the next application.

Prep for a textured surface is just a lot of scrubbing with dish soap and harsh scrubby pad...let dry..see if Any parts/edges of your old paint "peels up" .. sand/wash scrub again on those lift spots.

If you cant use soap and water without having "lift spots" on your surface..then your NOT ready to Prime/Paint. You should be able to Wash down and dry without Any Inperfections on the substrate ..

Wash again with TSP and then a final Wash down with a stiff bristled brush with Acetone.

I am Sure Woody will ammend his post suggesting a Final Wash down with a brush and acetone..

Im SURE he is suggesting a clenser and then a quick wipe with Acetone on rags ( with a resporator ) ...

Pics would be a pleasure to see m8 ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DUH, I completely forgot to ask if it was previously painted:eek:. YD is correct. You must remove all of the loose paint if any WOW I AM Getting old and Forgetful. Thanks YD!!!!!;)

OhopJoe

Cadet

Well, It has the factory paint under some spray paint that the previous owner used to "clean it up and make it look nice" LOL. I don't think he even took of the boat straps before he started to spary paint, nor put the cigarette or the Busch Light down.

So I would imagine the factor paint is bonded properly so I won't need to sand it all down, but get the spray paint off by sanding, washing and scrubby pads.

Thanks!

OhopJoe

Cadet

Before3.jpgBefore.jpgBefore1.jpgBefore2.jpg

Before the restoration started. Terrible spray paint job.

OhopJoe

Cadet

Repairing floatation.jpgNew floor boards.jpgbuilding stern deck.jpgStern deck.jpgSanding the inside.jpg

Repairing the holes in the stern floatation, building deck and sanding the inside.

OhopJoe

Cadet

Priming the inside.jpgpainting the inside.jpgInside painted.jpgsanding the spray paint off the outside.jpgPriming the outside.jpg

Prime painting the inside, painting the inside and sanding the outside and priming the outside.

OhopJoe

Cadet

1st coat of paint outside.jpg2nd coat of paint.jpgPaint job, deck and floorboards done.jpgsuccess.jpg

1st and 2nd coat of outside paint. Deck installed and first voyage was successful!