kenner fishin ski barge 19ft flats fisher restoration

jmorson

Cadet
I'm new to iboats and this my first post. Just wanted to start by saying, wow, this website is an unbelievable source of information especially for someone like myself who knows almost nothing about boat maintenance and repair. Anyways, I bought my first boat about a month ago. It's a 19ft kenner fishin' ski barge. Not sure the year it was built, but I won it on auction for $126. For the most part, the boat looks like it is probably gonna be a nightmare to get functional and back in the water. But, there are a few positives. First, I hardly paid anything for it, second, the trailer seems to be in great shape except for the hardware and electrical, and third and maybe most importantly? the hull seems to be in great shape. Other than that, I think it's a full rebuild. I've been reading about how to go about this on here and watching videos for the last month or so and decided it was time to get going. I'm not in any sort of rush. My goal is try and get this thing rebuilt and ready to go flounder fishing and crabbing in the back bays of south jersey by the time my son turns 3. He's 5 months right now so I have some time! But I'm posting on here because I'm going to need a lot of help and input.

All I know about the boat is that it was last run in 1995 in Texas! So, I'm guessing the motor is totally shot? I'm kind of holding out hope that I might be able to get it rebuilt because I definitely won't be able to afford a brand new 90hp motor. I know it has sat outside in the elements for the last 8 or 9 years. I know the deck is rotten because I can put my foot through it in a few spots. We'll see about the stringers I guess. And that's about all I know. More as I get into this and find more things wrong...

I don't know how posting pictures goes on here so I'm going to post the first few of the boat using this post and then see if I can't make additional posts on this thread with additional pics and comments about the ideas I have for how to restore it. So, here are the pics... How did I do?

Attachments

• DSCN2260.jpg
    DSCN2260.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2263.jpg
    DSCN2263.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2264.jpg
    DSCN2264.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2265.jpg
    DSCN2265.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2267.jpg
    DSCN2267.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1

jmorson

Cadet
Re: kenner fishin ski barge 19ft flats fisher restoration

Here are some more, could only attach five at a time....

Attachments

• DSCN2268.jpg
    DSCN2268.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2270.jpg
    DSCN2270.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2279.jpg
    DSCN2279.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2283.jpg
    DSCN2283.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2314.jpg
    DSCN2314.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1

jmorson

Cadet

So, that is what it looks like right now.

Job #1 is to get the seat behind the console out, get the console out, and unhook all the steering cables, fuel line, control cables, electrical, etc. Then I guess it's time to start cutting out the old deck. I've heard that it is a good idea to leave the lip of the deck in tact so that you have a level point for if/when new stringers have to go in.

Couple quick questions...

1. From the pictures, does the fuel tank setup look like anything anyone has seen before? First of all the tank just seems huge to me. I would think that would be a ton of weight to carry around in the bow, but I don't know. Second it is taking up a TON of deck space. Do you think I could put a permanent fuel tank underneath the deck?

2. I'm not sure how to move forward with the casting deck. I know it needs to be cut out because it is really loose in spots, but I'm just not sure how to cut it out without damaging the rail. Does anyone have any input on that?

3. I'm just curious what folks think about total costs on a rebuild like this (not including the motor). Just to give you some idea of what I dream up the boat will look like one day, see the couple pics below. It's nice to have goals I guess.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Attachments

• l_134912_0_070320092158_2 (1).jpg
    l_134912_0_070320092158_2 (1).jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1
  • l_134912_0_070320092158_3 (1).jpg
    l_134912_0_070320092158_3 (1).jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1
  • l_134912_0_070320092158_4 (1).jpg
    l_134912_0_070320092158_4 (1).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Drydock.
You have a nice project ahead of you. The trailer is definitely worth your total outlay. First, I would build a motor stand...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266008
I would recommend putting casters on it so you can easily move it around the garage.

Second I would start researching on the Evinrude forum about what all is needed to get the motor to come back to life and then attack that first before you invest any time or effort into restoring the boat.
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24
As you noted, motors can be pricey and you may decide not to invest if the motor is bad.

Third, continue to read and study the threads here on the forum and educate yourself for later needs. I'm not familiar with that style boat so I won't be much help with how to attack the demo. My Signature does contain a link to recommendations for how to fabricate your replacement deck, stringers and transom if needed.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

jmorson

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestion Woodonglass... I'll get reading up on the motor stand and get that built first.

James Morton

Cadet

Ive started my thread, on a 19ft Kenner would love to see any progress youve made.

jmorson

Cadet

Hi James,

I'd love to post some new pics of the restoration, but unfortunately I've spent the months since my last post fixing water damage to most of house from some leaky pipes... So I haven't had an extra second to work on the boat. Hoping to finish with the repairs by May, but then I'm too busy with work til the Fall. So, the goal is to get back to the boat in October. I'm definitely subscribing to your thread in the meantime though! Good luck!

James Morton

Cadet

I understand time restraint, but Ill try catch you in October. Im havin some time restraint also, plust just too many progects at one time.

thill

Seaman Apprentice

Just checking in to see if you went forward with the project, abandoned it or just sold it and moved on?

I have just acquired a 1969 that looks identical to yours, and yes, it's rotten too. Here are some pics of mine...

Please let us know what happened!

-Tony

Attachments

• IMG-20140429-00138.jpg
    IMG-20140429-00138.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20140429-00140.jpg
    IMG-20140429-00140.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20140429-00145.jpg
    IMG-20140429-00145.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 2

jmorson

Cadet

Just checking in to see if you went forward with the project, abandoned it or just sold it and moved on?

I have just acquired a 1969 that looks identical to yours, and yes, it's rotten too. Here are some pics of mine...

Please let us know what happened!

-Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for checking in. I actually went back to school right after beginning this reno and so my intention was to put it on hold til I graduate. With school and family I just haven't had the time. A family member recently asked if they could take it over though and I agreed so they'll be picking up where I left off some time soon. I won't post any more pics because all I did was tear out the deck. As suspected the stringers were water logged and mostly rotted, especially toward the stern. My next step was to get those out and use them to trace new ones (never got to that point though)... When my family member begins working on it I'll ask him to pick up this thread and post some pics. Please post progress pics as you make it along. Do you have your own thread where I can subscribe? I think it will be worth the work. They're great boats and there aren't many out there from what I can tell! Good luck!
Jason