voids in the transom

Decker83

Commander
Re: voids in the transom

Hey Toad64,
Did you tab in the transom to the sides of the hull?
From your statement above it was only holding in 3 spots sounds like you didn't.
Take a good look at Woodonglass link (Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms) in his signature.
This shows how to do it right.
Get some pics up.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had it tabbed in i was refering to the wood and the back boat skin only sticking in three spots. I hatted to have to remove all that tabbing but like i said I screwed it up.

I am using cabasile and 1/4 chopped strand with aeromarine epxoy. I tell you what when that PB dries that is some strong stuff. I had some left in the buchet so i put a stick in it and let dry for about a week pulled it out and beat the heack out of it on the concrete and did not even dent it.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not letting me load pics could be i am at work but do not have high speed at home.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

iBoats pics is all messed up. Open a FREE photobucket account and use the IMG tag to copy and paste your pics to iBoats.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you know if there is a way to share all the pics i uploaded with out post all the image tags. there are 52 pics i put on there. Do i just post the direct link for the album?

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What size all thread are the clamps made with? I seen a pic on here but can't find it now of how they are made does any one know where that is. Man is the rain coming down now.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

3/8 X 16 allthread

Here is a pic of the clamps...

DSCF1537.jpg

Hope this helps...

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I posted something but i do not see it on here so. What size are the all thread in the clamps? I seen a pic on here on how to make the clamps does anyone know where that might be?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you know if there is a way to share all the pics i uploaded with out post all the image tags. there are 52 pics i put on there. Do i just post the direct link for the album?

You can do that or post individual pics, which ever way you want.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry i see it now guess its my slow internet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, What did you bed your stringers to the hull with? How did you glass and tab them to the hull? Did you use 1.5 oz CSM and 1708 Biaxal Cloth? Where are you getting your supplies?

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the stringers where weird they where made out of straight lumber like a 2x4 and where not beded at all. they just sat in between fiberglass sleeves. so i made them out of 2x4 coated them with epoxy resign and just slid them in like the other ones where. i have not seen any like these on here or anywhere else. i am using aeromarine epoxy resign got the fiberglass from fiberglassSite.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I was afraid you were going to say that. This is a bigger problem than your transom. the stringers MUST be bedded to the hull and tabbed and glassed in place. The link in my signature shows you exactly how you must do it. If you do not you hull will not be safe and should not be used. This is not just me but is a fact. You must read and study the multitude of threads here on the forum and understand that your boat IS exactly like the rest and must be rebuilt the exact same way if you want it to be safe. All boats have some differences but the basics are the same. Stringers, Decks and transoms are typically built the same. You cannot get away from that fact. IMHO you must remove the deck and do the stingers the right way.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you or anyone seen stringers like the ones i described? I ask because they where not beded before and the boat worked so what is the problem with putting them back that way they where?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It's your boat, you can do with it as you wish. I'm only telling you the accepted methodology for how it should be done. What you found when you tore it down does not reflect the correct methods. That's why you have not found it anywhere else here on the forum. It is not how it's supposed to be done. It's an old boat and it could be that you are seeing what a previous owner did on a previous restore and they did not do it right. What you are seeing on all the restores on this forum IS the right way to do it.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think i need to take this in steps and get the transom back in first and ponder what to do about the floor. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else on this forum i value all the knowledge that is on here but after a restless night i need to do one thing at a time. after spending so much time and money on this project both are not that abundent. so for my peace of mind i need to move on to getting the transom back in.
so with that said how long should the clamps be to get the most clamping power out of them?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

They only need to be as long as the transom is tall, plus room for the pressure screws...

I understand your plight of having to deal with low money flow and sleepless nights...

BUT, like has already been mentioned, there is a right way to do this...

Being out on the water, quite possibly with friends and family, and having an unforeseen catastrophic failure on your boat, will cause you much worse anguish and nightmares...

Please, do not take boating safety lightly...it is similar to flying in a plane...you can't just pull over...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

sounds to me like what you saw when you did your tear down was de-laminated stringers, the fiberglass "sleeve" was the old stringers tabbing, it de-laminated and allowed you to just slide the old ones out.....these "sleeves" should have been cut down and ground to smooth hull during prep, to allow new stringers to be bedded and tabbed....

Believe me when I say I understand the plight of the pocket book, but looking at your work, it looks like you have the ability to do a good job, just needed the knowledge, Keep asking questions and you will find the right answers here for anything that needs doing