• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

voids in the transom

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voids in the transom

When i started my resto project i had no idea how to put my transom in so i did what i thought was a good job. However i have voids between the transom and the outer skin. can anyone tell me how i should go about filling in the voids? Is there a real chance of seperation? My boat is a 73 Newman CH. What I did to put in the transom was to put CSM on the transom then a few days later i sanded it down and put a lot of resign on the transom and the skin of the boat. Then i put plywood on both side of the transom and clamped it in the best I could. Before i found the voids i had already replaced the floor so pulling the transom back out is not not really an option. By the way if any one ask foam can really blow your floor out, atleast part of the way out anyway. So as you can see i have made my fair share of mistakes. Before I started this project i had never seen or heard of anyone rebuilding a boat so all this is new to me.

Thank You

Re: voids in the transom

Is the boat an IO or outboard? Do you have any pics of the work you did? How large are these voids?
    1969 Lonestar Medallion restoration

1972 Glastron GT-160 restoration

1973 Silverline Grand Bahama restoration

1991 Galaxie 19' 4.3 Mercruiser
    2007 F150 4x4 Supercrew
    A boat is just a big hull in the water you throw money into.

Comment

Its an outboard and the biggest void is right where the motor will mount. The big one is 6 inches round 2 are about 4 inches and on the outer top edges and a 2 about 1 inch round as best i can tell. I have some pics and will try to post them as soon as i can.

Comment

I'm having a hard time picturing what your trying to explain (I've been up to long) Post up some pics if you can and we'll see if we can help.
        1969 Lonestar Medallion restoration

1972 Glastron GT-160 restoration

1973 Silverline Grand Bahama restoration

1991 Galaxie 19' 4.3 Mercruiser
        2007 F150 4x4 Supercrew
        A boat is just a big hull in the water you throw money into.

Comment

Welcome to Iboats..

First thing is to outline your voids with a crayon or maker.
          Next is to drill 2 small holes ( about 1/8 " ). One at the bottom of the void and one at the top.
          Mix up some fast cure epoxy and inject it using a plastic syringe ( with the nose cut off to Perfectly fit the hole ). Inject the epoxy until it starts to overflow out the top hole.

Wipe up any runs that comes out.

Those smaller ones..hmm.. Not sure if I would go after them right now.

YD.
          Iboats Helper

Comment

I used a resign from Lowes to put in the transom and found it to be to thick. I have switched over to aero marine epoxy with no VOC's. it is realy thin should I thicken it up? Will it be a problem since it is not the same? the one from lowes does not say what kind of resign it is.

Comment

I'm sure the Lowes stuff was just poly resin.

The thing is you can not prep "voids"..you can only inject them with resins ( yes epoxy is best IMO ).

As far as "thickening" your epoxy .. that is not normally needed/wanted for lam voids.

You should be fine as long as you take your time with the injection(s) and Do Not let it drain out before the resin cures.

Hope this helps some..

YD.
              Iboats Helper

Comment

Ok Thank You

Comment

Well i started filling the voids and apparantly when i clamped the transom in i did a verry bad jod resign started coming out of holes in the bottom of the transom outer skin that was already there and i started filling about three quarters of the way up. My guestion is what to do now? Do i just keep tring to fill the voids? Because at the bottom of the wood inside of the boat are big voids between the wood and the outer skin. Should i put an aluminum plate on the back and bolt it throught the transom to pull it all together? I have already put the floor in the boat so pulling the transom back out is not something i am willing to do right now. I have put to much time and money to have to pull the transom back out and mess up all i have done. There must be something i can do even if it is not exactly the right way? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Comment

just keep filling a little at a time till it's solid.... might consider seacast
                    Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
                    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                    sigpic

Comment

Since you did not use Thickened resin (Peanut Butter) to fill the inevitable voids when installing a transom it will be almost impossible to find and fill all the voids between the outer skin and the wood transom. The ONLY way I know would be Just like YD suggested. It should be noted that the transom is likely to delaminate from the outer skin in then near future when put under stress by the motor and the wakes and waves you are sure to encounter when on the lake. I my opinion you should at the very least remove a portion of the rear deck and redo the transom the correct way. If not I fear the transom is doomed for failure. Just my opinon. It's your boat so you can do as you see fit.

Where are you located in Oklahoma?
                      1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                      Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                      Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

I live in beggs and work in tulsa. I was afraid i smart thing would be to remove the wood.

Comment

to all the posters that look at this tread in the future.

the use of epoxy or a thickened resin in this case is just fine.

however, if this was an inboard/ outboard. it is not reccomended.

this is due to the flatness and parellism needed for a drive transom bell and plate.
                          The Hull Extension Thread
                          great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                          November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

So this does not happen again what is the best way to clamp in the transom?

Comment

there are several threads on clamping....i think woodie has diagrammes.

in every transom i do .....i also use any thru bolt holes like the tow hooks.....i pre fit, and pre drill the holes.
                              then i coat bolts and washers with pva, and when in install a transom i bolt the thing in to the boat.

then clamp for out boards. inboards, i use a different method......that is in the link in my sig
                              The Hull Extension Thread
                              great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                              November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X