Newby on 1st restoration 77 Galaxie Mark IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice
I am attempting my 1st restoration. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. I picked up a 77 Galaxie Mark IV for dirt cheap. I had the motor checked out and it runs and needs a little TLC. I need to redo the deck and stringers. I have been looking and reading alot on here. I think i can handle it. I just wanted to know if I can add something like a ski pole to the center of the back dek area in front of the motor? If so What kind of supports does it need to handle the tourque involved in the deck and hull area. I will try to upload some pics if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks for any help and if you see anything that would be helpful to know please let me know what it is. Thanks Lee

PS I am going to have to research on how to upload pics I will try do do that today if I can. Thanks

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Newby on 1st restoration 77 Galaxie Mark IV

I think I got the pics upoaded here.054.jpg058.jpg060.jpg061.jpg051.jpg

Trooper82

Commander

Welcome to the dry dock. Looks like the pictures are working fine. Nice looking boat. You have come to the right place to learn how to do this the correct way. Lots of great information in these pages. Did you start the demo or was that already done? Either way, you are in for some real fun.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

welcome aboard.
The transom eye will be very strong.. especially with a new transom...
but with a pylon, you have to add a wood+glass backing plate and thru bolt it... a lot of force is applied to that... I would also reinforce the glass on the hull.
You're a LONG way away from that though!!!!

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome, It looks like you have your work cut out for you. I look forward to seeing your progress. You have come to the right place for help. Ask and you will receive.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

I like the transom mounted ring idea. I know it is early in the decision but I figured I had better plan everything so I don't find myself wishing I had done something only to late. I did do the demo myself. I am still ways from finished with it. I am not sure what to do about the front "cap?" I can see under it but I am not sure if I need to pull out all the stuff under it yet. I hope not but I have a sinking feeling about it. The motor mount and transom feel like they are ok but I have not drilled any holes into them yet. When I got the boat it had about 6-8 inches of pine straw in it. I knew it would be a project when my 7 year old stepped through the deck the first day I brought it home. Oh well here we go. like I said i got it for a steel. $150.00.....and counting.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Planning ahead is always a good idea...you have an I/O so would need to mount your pylon on the doghouse or the deck in front of the dog house, where ever it would be placed would need a support system and about 1.5" of wood to mount to/through with the plate, so figuring it out before the build will save you a headache later....

Like that you added "and counting" to the end of it, but it should be more like " and counting, and counting, and counting...ohhh does it ever end!"

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi ....welcome to iboats

I like your boat....
you are into some fun times with it when its done.
re building a boat is one of the most rewarding things a guy can do (if he likes boats)

Just a few things...
Does the motor run?,,,,that is the most expencive part of a rebuild. with out a good running motor and working out drive....a lot of projects are not worth doing.

That would be my first on the list of things to do. Get it running.

as far as under the front deck......there are lots of ways to do that.....but you need to know how far the rot goes up the stringers before you need to worry about doing under the front deck. during the rip and strip phase....examine the stringers and flotation foam in the front near the walk thru....just because the deck is rot at the walk thru does not mean the foam and stringers a re toast in that area.

as far as your ski pole.......they are mounted in the aft deck....in front of the doghouse. you could re enforce the deck and use a cup mount pole holder....or ...glass a big piece of plywood on to the hull under the deck....then mount your base in that....then...make a hole thru the deck with a cover for the hole....the pole goes thru the deck////mounts in the plate you made....and the deck re enforces the pole.

but as suggested.......you are a lonnnng way away from that now.

depending on the time you spend.....you could be at that stage with in a week !

Trooper82

Commander

Like that you added "and counting" to the end of it, but it should be more like " and counting, and counting, and counting...ohhh does it ever end!"

JDA, I thought the same thing when I read that....

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

I took the motor to a Boat repair guy first. He ran it and said everything worked fine, I was concerned that the block might be cracked after sitting for 3-4 years, he said it just needed a rebuilt or a new carb. Then the misc. stuff.(lights, gauges, etc.) He will fix that stuff after I get the deck finished. I hope to get back on it this week to finish the demo hopefully. Then the work begins. Thanks for the info on the ski pole.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a reason not to use cypress as the stringers? I would still coat them in resin or epoxy. It just seams that a rot resistant wood would be better than oak or something. I was thinkin of using 2x8 for the long ones and 2x 12 for the cross ones and just shaping them to the hull. Any reasons that won't work? I can get the wood for $1.35/bf.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No problems with using cypress. In fact it's one of the best woods to use in boat building and that IS a great price.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

I have started taking out the old stringers and came across what I feared. Under the motor mount is mush. I cut opoen one side and scooped out the wood. I shoved a couple of bricks under it to keep it from sinking more than it already has. My Question is can I cut out and layer some wood and push it under the mound with out taking the motor out? Then just seal it back up when i replace the stringers. I plan to use cypress. It is 71/2 inches wide and 7 inches tall. How can I make sure the motor is high enough even if I have to take the motor out and rebuil it. I really want to stay away from removing the motor as I have no way to do it and no place to store it. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat  Jan 18 2012.jpg
    Boat Jan 18 2012.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat motor mount 003.jpg
    boat motor mount 003.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

JDA1975

Lieutenant

If you are going this far, you may as well do it right, and to do that you will need to remove the engine, cut all of it out, grind it down to clean glass, and build back up. Take lots of pictures and measurements, so you can rebuild it the way it was. It is a complete waste of money to use shortcuts, because when they fail, and they will, you have to tear out all the good work you did to get to it!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

With that much rot, you should do a really good inspection of your transom. I highly suspect it will be bad in need of replacement as well and you will HAVE to remove the motor to do that. You can build a motor & outdrive stand pretty cheap and you can probably get a wrecker service to remove the motor for $50 - $75 bucks on a service call.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

yeah I hadn't thought of a wrecker. That just leaves me the storage issue. I guess I can tell my wife she has to park out side of the garage until we get this done or I can build one with casters and move it around if i need to. Thanks for the advice I am sure I will be asking about transom issues if I can't find the answers already here.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Where are you located? Harbor Freight sells good casters for CHEAP. I made a Motor Stand on 8" All Terrain Casters for my outboard that I can roll around in the yard for $35 bucks. You could make one for the Inboard engine for the same money and store it outside under a tarp.

Theywere on sale for $7.99. Not on sale now. but prolly will be soon.

image_17048.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah I hadn't thought of a wrecker. That just leaves me the storage issue. I guess I can tell my wife she has to park out side of the garage until we get this done or I can build one with casters and move it around if i need to. Thanks for the advice I am sure I will be asking about transom issues if I can't find the answers already here.

read this.....all you need to know....its a long read....but every thing is there in detail

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

frisco has vids....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=510077

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, make sure you've got the exterior hull supported under those bricks, or a pc of 1/2 ply wider & longer then the bricks, under the bricks. Heavy engine, old glass & hard square edged bricks NOT GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.