Spar varnish not drying on epoxy

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm finishing a wooden dash on my tin resto and my spar varnish is still tacky after 2 days. This is on a test piece where 1 coat of epoxy was applied 7 days ago and sanded befor varnishing. Its in a 70? dry room. Any thoughts?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spar varnish not drying on epoxy

Fresh can? I have found some of my older cans will not completely dry.

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know when building strip boats with west system, you have to clean the surface real good before varnishing. There is a wax that comes to the top when it cures. Sanding just spreads the wax around and never really totally removes it. Some people use acetone, I use vineger and warm water and a green scotch brite pad.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like maybe too thick of a coat. Did you thin it with anything. I usually thin the first couple of coats 15%. Helps in the Flash Dry time. With varnish lots of thin coats is the best. What brand are you using?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok with your help I think I have this under control. I did sand and wipe it down with Xylol, let dry and coated with Cabot Spar Varnish. It seems the varnish lifted more of the wax as it sat attempting to dry. I wiped the tacky varnish with mineral spirits, let dry and recoated and it dried just fine. I applied coat# 3 this morning and it's looking good. Pics on the resto thread soon. Next time I'll be more diligent with the pre varnish wipe down. The next epoxy I buy will be the 'no blush' from Progressive Polymers in NH.

Thanks for the feed back!!!