Steering system/kit for a 1974 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt

nEvErLoOz

Recruit
Hi everyone, sorry for the double post, not sure where to post so...

I'm currently building a small motor boat. We have made like 60% of the work and we start thinking of buying and installing the steering & control system. Problem is we don't know what to buy, there is a lot of steering system, kit, cables and wheels on the market and we are totally confuse.

So I need some help. Let me explain my case. We build the boat from scratch, I mean there is no steering wheel already in place or nothing. Boat have 16.5 feet long by around 7 inches large. There is a 7 inches long cabin with some cupboard and a bed inside. The deck is also around 7 inches long. Like I explain before the boat has never had any wheel and steering system installed, the only thing we have is a boat and an engine.

The engine is a 1974 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt 50HP in perfect shape. When we bought it, it was installed on a boat with a steering wheel and the cables came from the same side, this is the kind of installation we want to make. I know we miss the arm but also the part that goes inside the "tube" on the engine, I don't know the name of this, the arm is connected to it. I think it came with the cables but i'm not sure.

Anyway, I have an engine (1974 Mercury 500) and the control system (throttle, starter, etc) but no steering system at all. From the wheel to the engine, I miss everything. Can you please help me by providing me some links of what I need.

Also, if it's possible, we don't want any dashboard console. What we plan is to fix the wheel directly on the wall of the cabin, thats mean the wheel will be perfectly vertical, is this something possible? Of course we will build a kind of box inside the cabin to hide all the wheel system parts...

Thanks for your help, if you need more information simply ask me, if there something you don't understand please let me know, English is not my first language, wish you will understand me.

Alex

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering system/kit for a 1974 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt

You need this: http://www.iboats.com/Uflex-ROTECH-...99664341--**********.215588598--view_id.49379

And assuming your tilt tube exists and is functional then you should just need this http://www.iboats.com/Mercury-Boat-...9664341--**********.215588598--view_id.168954 (look on ebay for one cuz that price is silly)

steering-arm.jpg

If you don't have a tilt tube or it's damaged in some way, than this is what you'd need http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--**********.611379388--view_id.192758

nEvErLoOz

Recruit

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes I have a functional tilt tube, when we bought the engine the guy simply remove the arm and pull out the metal rod from the tube. What I understand is that this "metal rod" is attached to the cable and came with the kit, right?

Also, the link arm you suggest is for 60-120HP, my engine is 50HP, is it gonna fit anyway?

If I bought all of what you said, the only thing I'm gonna miss after is a wheel? Which wheel to choose? All wheel will fit on this? How to install the wheel? I have simply to screw the helm on the wall then put the wheel on it?

Thanks
Alex

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Also, the link arm you suggest is for 60-120HP, my engine is 50HP, is it gonna fit anyway?

I have absolutely no idea nor do I even know where to look! :eek: Perhaps the guys in the Mercury outboard section will know. I'd throw a post up there and ask "what steering link bar do I need for a '74 Merc 50?"