• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

1978 bayliner restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1978 bayliner restoration

Since you live in Montana, I'd recommend these guys in Washington State. It will save you some bucks on shipping and their prices are very similar to USComposites in Florida.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/

What exactly are you going to be doing to her? Deck, Stringers and Transom??? If you let us know everything you are planning on doing we can help you determine the quantity of everything you will need to get the job done.
    1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
    Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
    Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

the transom is good but the stringers are shot go figure i would really appreciate some help on the amount of foam needed to fill the hull

Comment

What have you done to ensure the transom is good? Have you taken core samples? What is the depth of your stringers? I'm assuming this is an I/O boat? You really need to post some pics so we can see what you are seeing. What exactly are your demolition plans. It's very unusual for stingers to be rotten and the transom not have some issues.

Comment

yes i did take core samples and its all good it looks like someone was in there before i got there the stringer depth? not sure what your refering to i will post some pics tho and ive got it tore down and sanded ready for me to set stringers

Comment

Depth means measurement from bottom of deck to the hull. 6" 8" 10" how deep are they. You calculate your pour in foam by cubic feet. Length X Width X Depth = Cubic feet

Comment

A lot of people tell you that the foam is structural. My Capri has had no foam for four to five years now. Used every summer and I have been rather hard on it. No cracks no problems. Waves do make a drumming sound when sitting still as Opps suggested. The hull on my 1988 is just as thick as my 1974 Sidewinder.

Comment

sorry wood on glass it took me so long anwer long day at work but the depth is 8 inches

Comment

I would Guess-ti-mate you'll need enough foam to fill 60 cubic ft. Since OOPS pointed out that your Bayliner foam IS Structural, you should use the 4lb density foam. Based on USComposites calculations your cost for foam will be approx. $750 + shipping.

Comment

wow that stuff is spendy

Comment

now that ive got the stringers in im wondering what kind of fiberglass do i use to fasten the stringers to the hull and in what order. stringers are about 8 in tall at most 10 inch and im trying to stay relitivly cheap this boat isent very big 18.5 foot long no open bow and at most 6 foot wide thanks

Comment

anyone

Comment

any imput

Comment

Originally posted by bayliner09 View Post
                            now that ive got the stringers in im wondering what kind of fiberglass do i use to fasten the stringers to the hull and in what order. stringers are about 8 in tall at most 10 inch and im trying to stay relitivly cheap this boat isent very big 18.5 foot long no open bow and at most 6 foot wide thanks

Check out these two threads. It might answer your question. I know there is another thread that either Wood or Opps put out which has a diagram on the order but I couldn't find it.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286013
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=510077
                            SB89

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=534551

Comment

thanks shellback89 but these threads really didnt get my question anwsered what i did catch was you can use csm for tabing and stuff but is this true and what wieght and how meny layers?

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                                X