Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayliner

mrshake

Seaman
Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

That is the very first F260 I have ever seen! :facepalm:

Its a "Special" truck... haha

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yikes, at 2' long I would probably put 2" fiberglass tape & resin on them, at the minimum, from the inside. Put duct tape on the exterior to keep it from running out of the cut & all over the hull. You might not do a real through job of cleaning up the existing glass at the cut, as it won't be a permanent repair, you'll have to grind it all off & clean out the cut to fill properly w/ PB at the put back stage. Doing that now may not be possible depending on your time frame...

Ideally, I think I'd fix them properly 1st since they are so long. Well prepped & cleaned, apply resin, and both CSM & 1708....

Twisting & flexing the hull could easily make your problem worse. Particularly if they are along or near the bunks like I mentioned before...

mrshake

Seaman

Ok, I ordered the right stuff to fix it... went ahead and orderd extra of everything except the resin.

mrshake

Seaman

So, over the weekend, I did get out into the boat (I promise, I'll get some pics soon.)

I started cutting out the deck lip and grinding around the hull cuts to prepare for glassing and reparing them.

While suited up and sweating, I was thinking about how I was going to pre the area. The cuts are not level any more, the hull has flexed a bit and the cuts need to be brought back level.

Right now, I'm toying with getting some nice flat 2x6 or 2x8 lumber and running it along the area underneath the cuts, then using deck screws on each side of the cut to pull the wood to the hull, and pull the cuts back level. I'd put the screws out far enough that the PB filler and first layer of glass for the repair would be inside the screws, and then pull them out after the first layer is cured, fill those holes, and glass over the entire area.

Thoughts? Does that sound completely unreasonable?

mrshake

Seaman

Whats better than pictures?

A VIDEO!!!!!

Grinding is about 95% done on both sides. Ran out of time. I'm hoping to finish and put down glass next weekend.

I asked a question in the video about the chines... there were voids under glass (looked like peanut butter) and some spots had wood in the chine.

Should I just fill with PB?

mrshake

Seaman

Ok, I know its not the best video ever... but NO comments? LOL

I do have a serious question... and hopefully can get some guidance before tackling it tomorrow.

Should I fill the chine with Peanut Butter? Or just glass into or over it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Grind out the chines as best you can and fill em back in with PB. Good Luck with the Haunted House and the Move;)

mrshake

Seaman

Thanks man!! Its a bit of stress, but good!!

mrshake

Seaman

Well, First off, I apologise for not taking more pictures or video of the actual work.

BUT, I got pictures of the completed work:

20120828_183525.jpg

20120828_183530.jpg

20120828_183534.jpg

Basically, I got the cuts in the hull repaired. I used some wood and screws underneath to pull the cuts back level.
Then filled with PB and let it cure.
I pulled the screws out and filled the holes with PB
Yesterday, I glassed over the PB filled cuts with 2 layers of 1708.

It was an interesting bit of work, we ended up having to jack up one side of the boat to pull the cuts back level, and its sitting on jack stands at the moment while the glass cures completely.

The boat heads to temporary storage for 2 months this weekend, so there will not be much to say/do until I get it back, but there ya go!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice work!!!!

mrshake

Seaman
Wow... its been since August of 2012...... But finally this project has concluded... though not in the way I'd imagined it.

We moved to a small community, and into a sub division that has a private lake. This lake has a no-gas-motor restriction and is taylor made NOT for a bayliner open bow.... but for a pontoon boat...

So, when in Rome....

The Bayliner (still sans floor) is for sale at a mega cheap price to get it to go away. Hopefully someone can use the trailer/motor, or whatever. Going to take what I Can get out of it and shop for a used outboard to put on this boat so I can take it to other lakes....

This one will be a project as well, but at least its usable AS-IS, and we will enjoy it while we start recovering seats and contemplating new carpet.

Cheers for all your help gents, even if I didnt' get'er'done