Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayliner

mrshake

Seaman
Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayliner

Hello iBoaters!

I've been trolling around here for the last few months reading and soaking up knowledge, and then I went out and bought me a rotten boat! And BOY am I excited about it! I needed a winter project anyway, right?

Well, I thought I would start off with a video, I hope to keep making these:

As you hear in the video, its an '88 Bayliner Capri, I believe a Capri 1950, with a 2.3 liter engine and an OMC Cobra outdrive. The boat runs fine, but needs a deck and stringers for sure, plus recovering the seats and pads. I'm hoping the transom and engine mounts are ok, but I'm prepared to do what I need to do.

Luckily, the boat fits in my garage, and should even leave room for the Wife's van on the snowy days. I've got some pics on the camera at home that I will upload as well.

I will start with a first question, since I was a bit foiled...

Is there a trick to remove the lounge seats in a capri like this? I know the seat bases are glassed in, but the seats themselves need to come out.

Thanks guys!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upoholstry replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upoholstry replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

If you're going to go through all that trouble to restore her, I would replace that obsolete OMC drivetrain with a merc setup. Iboats member Pmmcraney is doing a great job at this...
I would take everything out, the seat bases are probably rotten, justcut the glass with a grinder, take a ton of measurements...
Welcome to iboats :D
you can do anything with the help of the forum and some basic skill and tools...

mrshake

Seaman

If you're going to go through all that trouble to restore her, I would replace that obsolete OMC drivetrain with a merc setup. Iboats member Pmmcraney is doing a great job at this...
I would take everything out, the seat bases are probably rotten, justcut the glass with a grinder, take a ton of measurements...
Welcome to iboats :D
you can do anything with the help of the forum and some basic skill and tools...

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Since the Engine/Outdrive function, no need to replace currently. Plus, that gives me time to save up money for a repower... thats an expensive proposition!

I like the idea of cutting out the boxes, but we may try to recover the seats themselves (not convinced of that) so I'd like to remove them first. Plus that would give a bit of extra room to cut out the bases.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats DryDock!!

I'm not much of an I/O guy but I do know you must winterize your outdrive. Have you done that? I also know that when you drain the oil out of the outdrive, if there is water mixed in with the oil on the OMC outdrives then that is a bad thing. I'm sure the I/O guru's will be along very soon to give you the low down on the rest. As far as the rebuild goes, a bad deck, usually, but not always, indicates stringers, motor mounts and transom issues. Like they say, Hope for the Best but prepare for the Worst.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

mrshake

Seaman

Welcome to the iBoats DryDock!!

I'm not much of an I/O guy but I do know you must winterize your outdrive. Have you done that? I also know that when you drain the oil out of the outdrive, if there is water mixed in with the oil on the OMC outdrives then that is a bad thing. I'm sure the I/O guru's will be along very soon to give you the low down on the rest. As far as the rebuild goes, a bad deck, usually, but not always, indicates stringers, motor mounts and transom issues. Like they say, Hope for the Best but prepare for the Worst.

View attachment 125790

I had been most concerned with the engine... but the outdrive isn't going to freeze at least with the heater in the garage. I'll have to make an oil change a priority!

Trooper82

Commander

Should be an intersting thread....Welcome!

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I have done restoration work on these before. I believe there is a aluminium tube that is bolted to the bottom of the seat. If you remove the tube, the seat should pop out easily. You may need to prop it up with somthing or have someone hold it. As an upholstry shop owner I recomend trying veada.com They sell seats cheaper than I can buy some of the materials to rebuild them. tou can select the custom colors you wish and You can match the fabric afterward to do the side panels and engine covers. The main thing is to make sure your deck and stringers are sound first.

mrshake

Seaman

Awesome!! thanks for the link, that may be a worthwhile purchase over repairing the existing seats. Your right on the bars... I even remember the nuts on the bottom.

mrshake

Seaman

Ok.. here are a few pictures for those who are not video watchers:

PC184513.jpg

PC184512.jpg

PC184516.jpg

PC184518.jpg

What to do about this cap.. its pretty ugly
PC184524.jpg

Gotta find a replacement for this one!
PC184525.jpg

jmeny

Seaman

Looks like a fun project, but there's no way those four bottles of pepsi are gonna get you through it :D

mrshake

Seaman

Looks like a fun project, but there's no way those four bottles of pepsi are gonna get you through it :D

HAHAH... they are Pepsi MAX... and they were left over from Deer Gun Season... got a new stash yesterday!

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Since the Engine/Outdrive function, no need to replace currently. Plus, that gives me time to save up money for a repower... thats an expensive proposition!
Exactly :)
Welcome to iboats. Only spend what you have too. You never know how much running you will get out of that set up until it fails and you might find another omc for parts that is running from someone doing a conversion.

I remember when I bought a neon car brand new , everybody said stay away from the neon, you will be replacing the head gasket every other year , they are just a bad car etc etc. Well it has 412,000 km on it and have never put a wrench on the drive train.

I would definately read up on winterizing . If the heater fails you on a cold night you could have some real damage.

Jack

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Get rid of all the ugly!!!!
Looks like a fun project...

mrshake

Seaman

Exactly :)
Welcome to iboats. Only spend what you have too. You never know how much running you will get out of that set up until it fails and you might find another omc for parts that is running from someone doing a conversion.

I remember when I bought a neon car brand new , everybody said stay away from the neon, you will be replacing the head gasket every other year , they are just a bad car etc etc. Well it has 412,000 km on it and have never put a wrench on the drive train.

I would definately read up on winterizing . If the heater fails you on a cold night you could have some real damage.

Jack

My wife had a Neon before we were married... would still have had it if she didn't total it when she got t-boned after work one nite. Dodge replaced the head gasket for us once as a recall, and I had to replace the EGR valve once... but we spend a lot of time and put a lot of miles on that little car!

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

Welcome to the DryDock mrshake!
you are in some great company here. lol

...I've been trolling around here for the last few months...and then I went out and bought me a rotten boat! And BOY am I excited about it! I needed a winter project anyway, right?

LOL :D i did the same thing, and am loving every minute of it!
great looking boat. bayliners are just great looking boats IMO.
im looking forward to seeing your project.

will be watching for updates. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to iboats !

I did one of those. lol....same condition.

Ok.....First things first.

1.......The Pepsi max aint gonna cut it as noted above......get that still pumpin the suds.....and you will have a chance.....always remember....boat buildin and beer drinkin is synonymous. :D

2. ******VERY IMPORTANT>>>drain the engine block of water and put the out drive in the down position..... !!!!!!!! heater or not.....we have had many a cracked block due to power failures.

there is a shuttle **** at the bottom of the block, open it.......under the manifold there is also a drain....open that one as well. then remove the big water hose from the block to the water pump....

3. The lounge seat bases Usually have to come out to do the deck. you can get away with out taking them out.....but you need to do a stringer job as well.....so out they come.

Remove the seat form the base, giving you clear access to the edges of the base.
Take a sawz all with a long blade, and make a cut starting at the corner,,,,,then go around the edge of the base (on the open side, or the isle way) cutting parelell to the deck. follow the edge till you get to the gunwhale side. once the three sides are cut at the deck line.......then take a small sized blade and start cutting right at the edge of the base near the gunwhale (side of the boat)....just cut the wood...it is only a half inch deep.....so dont go too deep....if you go too deep you will hit the hull....you can feel it....as the saw will start vibrating in your hand.
now that the top side is done.....you need to do the hull front and back edges. be very careful here....run the saw parelell to the hull, but again do go too deep.

after you have cut all the way around the base.....it will still be stuck !!!!.....pour in expandable foam is holding the seat base in place. take the long blade again.... and re cut the parelell inner side (isle cut) get the blade as deep as you can.....again...you will feel if you hit the hull, and cutting the foam is easy.
NOW you should be able to kinda lift a side or edge of the seat base. ....if it does not pop up.....take the long blade, and re cut the inner edge.....stick that blade as deep as you can....feel for the hull.....remember...the foam cuts fast and easy.....if you get to a hard spot......STOP. then just keep prying....and lifting.....it will pop......it is just foam....nothing else under there.
a pry bar or two will do the trick.

4. You have a choice here....you can pull the cap off the boat and go for a full gut....or just take the deck...leaving the cap on....
this decision will be based on the condition of the forward stringers, not the deck floor.....usually the forward stringers are good.

5. To remove the rest of the deck.....set a circular saw at just over 1/2 inch depth, you can cut thru the carpet, eliminating the need to pull it up. cut as close as you can to the perimeter of the deck, usually a 2 inch lip is left.

After all cuts are made.....just pry the deck up. ti is screwed down...so dont expect it to be easy.....most of the screws will be rusted,,,,so they will just come thru the wood.
if you cant get it up..... take the circ saw and cut out the binding area.

The area directly in front of the dog house and aft of the ski locker is your gas tank.....there will be another sheet of plywood under the main deck as a gas tank cover, but take extra caution in that area.
The area of the walk way between the consoles is a problematic area as far as rot is concerned, so that will have to be cut as close to the console risers as you can get.. the uphostered section from console to the floor can be removed, giving you clear acess.

If the front bow is rot, and you are leaving the cap on.....just cut the area with a sawz all.....right next to the seat/deck joint. running the sawzall vertical. (parallel to the seat base) again....feel for the hull.

In the aft section in front of the dog house. its usually rot....leave the dog house and chizel away the remaining wood under the dog house flange.....(when re installing the deck....you can pry up the doghouse flange and slip the new deck under the flange.

The whole process to get the deck up is about 4 hours, depending on your work speed and amount of beer consumed.....

That should hold you for a wee bit !
If you have any questions....please just send me a pm with the link to this thread and your question.

cheers
and Merry Christmas

oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as far as the interior.....i cant find the before pics.....but here is a few.

048.jpg

056.jpg

the completed.

087.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

as far as the interior.....i cant find the before pics.....but here is a few.

048.jpg

056.jpg

the completed.

087.jpg

Great work as always oops

Decker83

Commander

Welcome to i-boats.
That is a great project you have.

OOPS gave you a full list to get started. (LOL):eek:

If you or planing to do all of the grinding in the garage, I would build a air tight tent around the boat with some type of a dust vent or cover everything in the garage that you don't want dust on.
You will not believe how much dust you are going to make. :facepalm:

Thanks for the vid. Keep them going. Love to watch them.

Good luck with your new project.

And by the way Merry Christmas

Kent

mrshake

Seaman

thanks for the replies guys! I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Great advice there oops! And don't worry... Beer flows adequately around here! (its not a still though.. Hehehe)

I got the seats out today and the wife and I took detailed pictures and measurements. So now I feel comfortable starting the tear out.

I took video, I'll post it once I have it edited.

Decker: I plan to do the tent thing for grinding!