1978 Aquasport "Xscape" Restore - New Project lots of pics!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

Been away a LOOOONG time I know, sorry about that. Family, work, and a slew of other issues have kept me away.

Sadly My riviera rebuild (in sig), I never quite finished, (blew the motor 3x for silly reasons, and got fed up).

Anyhoo on to the real topic, I just picked up a 1978 Aquasport "Xscape" 190 (no "E"). I have never seen anything like it mfg. by Aquasport, as they mostly made CC's and WAC's.

This is a bowrider runabout! From the research I have done, it seems to be an extremely rare boat!

Has a 1983 175hp Evinrude on it. Runs perfect with great compression, and a stainless prop!. Its 18'8" Overall, and with the 175hp should really move!

Sweet deal too! Boat, newer galv trailer, and motor for 600 bucks! Motor and trailer worth more than what I paid for the whole thing!

The old lady that had it was the original owner, and told me she had it re-powered early on, and that her husband had passed, and a tree fell on it, so she just needed it gone... The windshield glass is gone, and its pretty dirty, but overall not really too bad.

Heres an ad for it I found online (this is for the 1977 version which was a closed bow):

27180_190_Xscape_1978_-_1.jpg

The ad says its a "no wood" construction, but the deck is definitly bad, while the transom feels rock solid, and I can feel the stringers so guess we have to wait and see when I get the cap/lining off.

I started the tear down this past weekend, so will try to keep ya'll posted on how it goes. Won't being doing too much over next couple weeks cause of the holidays, but should be right back at it, after that!

Pics to follow!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 Aquasport "Xscape" Restore - New Project lots of pics!

OK here we go for the pictures, (we all love pictures right?) :D

Angle View:

Boat001.jpg

Side Profile View

Boat002.jpg

Stern View

Boat004.jpg

And of course, a closeup of the plate so you know it's a real Aquasport! :D

Boat003.jpg

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Dont want to put too many pics in one reply, should I link the thumbnails at the bottom that open up like somepeople do? Not sure what the current forum etiquette is for picture posting, I did make sure they were within the size limit though! Anyway, I'll keep posting, and if I need to correct it, I will go back and edit!

Bow section:

Boat010.jpg

Helm Station:

Boat008.jpg

and a stern view from inside:

Boat006.jpg

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

OK on to the first task at hand... the PO was not using the onboard fuel tank, said it "didnt work". Not sure what she meant by that, but ok... I figured contaminated fuel or something... I noticed that the deck had a large center plate in it:

Closeup here:

Boat011.jpg

I thought it was odd to have a plate, but maybe because someone had taken the fuel tank out once before and this was how they did it... so I undid the screws, and pried the plate it (it was set in silicone, so came up fairly easy):

Boat014.jpg

Whats interesting to note is that this is indeed access to the fuel tank, but more importantly, was the boat was built with its own "fuel tank compartment". The lid for it was factory made, and so is the compartment, it's actually molded into the lining of the boat, and is in the original blue that the floors were gelled in... (sorry forgot to take a picture of it with the tank still in it):

This is after the tank was out, and the old foam scraped mostly out:

Boat013.jpg

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Good thing is, this makes for any future tank replacement, repairs, cleaning, or whatever, fairly easy. I was kinda surprised to see it built like this!!!!

Bad thing is, they didnt put any drainage in the compartment at all, so the compartment was completely full of water, and so was the gas tank!!!!

The tank looks terrible:

Boat020.jpg

I don't understand why, but there are at least 30+ screws in the darn thing???? /boggle

Boat022.jpg

Some have been patched over with JB weld:

Boat023.jpg

and some with fiberglass:

Boat024.jpg

Needless to say, I think I am going to need to replace the tank! That's an unanticipated expense! Did some research online, and can't find one to fit, so looks like its going to have to be custome made... anyone have any links to a tank manufacturer?

I really don't think it would be safe to try and patch up these numerous holes and try to use this thing!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Ok new question...

(still have the one for a tank manufacturer)

Thinking ahead, since the fuel tank compartment was full of water, do ya'll think it would be best to install a drain into the compartment? What would the drawback of this be? I can't really see why it wasnt done by the mfg.

110 views and no replies, im disappointed you forum hounds! :)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Cmon peeps! Someone chime in, anyone? (not even, a "cool boat" or nice find!) :)

Some kid with some wacky ideas got 3 pages of replies, I have a sincere restoration beginning with a couple real questions... :(

Just saying! :)

I know, I know, I never finished the riviera restore... so I built up that anticipation and let you all down, so ya'll are probably mad at me, is that it? hehehe I'm Sorry!

That is a cool boat and thanks for sharing your restoration.
A drain from the gas tank compartment sounds like a good idea but to where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDA1975

Lieutenant

posting images that way in the thread makes it a lot easier read, since we don't have to deal with clicking on photos to see what your talking about...you can post up to 6 in each reply, I know I am notorious for over-posting pictures...but I like to document everything...nobody seems to mind, even when my pictures derail my own boat restore! That looks like a nice boat, should be a fun restoration. I am no expert on this as a newbie myself so on the tank I really cant point you in the right direction. Someone will see your post soon, it seemed like mine took forever to get any interest but once it did, it took off. Glad to see you found time to enjoy something like this again with the busy life!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

That is a cool boat and thanks for sharing your restoration.
A drain from the gas tank compartment sounds like a good idea but to where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for replying! Yaay I feel better now hehehe

If I drilled one into the bottom of the compartment, it would go down into the bottom of the boat... and run towards the back where the bilge pumps are, and be pumped out...

Alternatively, I could try to set the compatment cap in some 4200 to try and make sure it seals, but that makes removing it later on problematic.... guess we will have to wait until I get the cap off and see!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

well I answered my own question, and found a replacement tank that is almost the exact dimensions of the OEM one... best part is, it's a Moeller, and iboats has it! :)

45Gallon Tank

Now the only problem I can see is the fuel fill is facing the wrong side of the boat to use the old fill location....

I was looking into having an aluminum one made... do ya'll think it would be better to go with a poly tank, and re-route my plumbing, (they don't corrode), or to have an aluminum one made to match the original (would cost about the same).???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was going to post "I find it hard to believe Moeller doesn't make one to fit that area"... glad to see I was right :)

That's a heck of a nice hull and I don't think I even need to saw what I think of the motor. I cannot believe you got that for $600. I would have snatched that up in a HEARTBEAT!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I was going to post "I find it hard to believe Moeller doesn't make one to fit that area"... glad to see I was right :)

That's a heck of a nice hull and I don't think I even need to saw what I think of the motor. I cannot believe you got that for $600. I would have snatched that up in a HEARTBEAT!

Thanks EZ! Glad to see you are still around too btw.. I was gone over a year heheh...

Yeah motor had 102-103 compression dead on in all 6 cylinders, and fired right up, but had to choke it to keep it going... I rebuilt the carbs after a good soak, and now it purs.... the mid section and lower unit can use some paint, but overall, I was shocked at how good a shape it was in for an 83...

here's a couple more pics for you:

175horses of power! (really ought to make this boat fly):

Boat019.jpg

Powerhead closeup (after i got the carbs back on, still need to install silencer box)

Boat018.jpg

lower unit closeup:

Boat016.jpg

mid section is the worst... looks like someone started to strip it down to paint then just left it... the PO did say her husband was working on it before he passed...

I do feel a little bad for what I paid for it... I talked her down from $800.00.... guess I am evil taking advantage of a little old lady like that! ;)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Hey gang, time for some help...

I started prepping to pull the cap on this baby, and I am running into a scenario that I have not encountered before... it appears as if on this model, the cap, AND the inside lining, deck, consoles, etc. are all ONE piece. I went through a bunch of the other restore threads, and can see there is basically two ways to attack this...

Option #1:
Undo cap at rivets, and attempt to lift out the entire thing, complete as one piece, (including the deck glass).

Option #2:
Cut the deck around the edge (leaving a small tab), and pull the cap, consoles, sides, and then rip up the bottom deck glass by itself.

This leaves me a few questions, and I am looking for the best approach on this one.

1. Which option do you all suggest as being the better of the two?
2. If I choose option 1, and pull the entire thing, can I just set the entire liner back inside once the deck is re-done, or does it need to be actually "glassed" down to the deck
2a. Do you think if I did decide to go with the whole liner, can I just pour some resin, and set the liner back in it?
3. If I cut the deck out (option 2), how difficult will it be to tie it back in to the rest of the liner at the sides?
4. Any other overall suggestions for getting this baby split.

Things to note:

It is a self bailing cockpit, so it has drains on the inner liner that are plumbed to the outside of the hull. Not sure how this will affect the ability to pull the whole thing as one piece. Right now there is no access to them at all... (no deckplates or hatches), so I assume they were connected as the liner was set in the boat when it was built.
It has the additional fuel tank compartment, not sure how to deal with that.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, appreciate the help on this one!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi Num. welcome back bud !

got here as soon as I could.......dont know how we missed you earlier ?????

I really like that hull ! deep v....open bow....big honkin motor on the back....EZ nailed it.....I would have scooped that in a second even for the 800 !

Ok....pics...Like the Judge...I really like the format you are using.....im not a big fan of the attachments way....they just seem to be either too small or a pain. click click click :(

As far as your tank. The decision about the tank will be made around the fittings. Tank hose is available ....but kinda spendy....I think its around 3 or 4 a foot, but its the room in the locker that is the issue. That locker is kinda tight for an extra 3 inch hose to be routed around in the locker....(love the set up by the way)

The new tank needs to be slightly suspended above the hatch floor....that way you can add the drain hole and piping to the bilge. I would use pour in foam to lock the tank in place.... but not a full pour......just in a few sections.....that way any water can easily flow to the bilge......you will just have to remember to keep the bow high during storage. you can 42 the locker cover if you wish......but with good drainage, you wont have to.

As far as your cap...... it will be a pain to pull the whole thing at once......you will have to separate the glue they used under the liner in certain areas......
But I would pull it all at once....I would not cut it....

When you pull it.....you will find that some areas are "stuck"....this is where the adhesive is.....you will have to find a way to get a blade in there and cut the adhesive....The adhesive will also be around any of the self bailing thru holes........Its gonna be a pain to take it apart......but in the end, your finished product will be great.

deck height will be a real factor when the lining is put back in. you must be bang on....so pay special attention to the height at several places in the hull.

Im currently following about 60 threads now.....plus I am monitoring the forums, helping EZ and the guys during this spam attack.... so please feel free to pm me again if I miss an update.

cheers Num...and Merry Christmas !
ward

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

As far as your cap...... it will be a pain to pull the whole thing at once......you will have to separate the glue they used under the liner in certain areas......
But I would pull it all at once....I would not cut it....

When you pull it.....you will find that some areas are "stuck"....this is where the adhesive is.....you will have to find a way to get a blade in there and cut the adhesive....The adhesive will also be around any of the self bailing thru holes........Its gonna be a pain to take it apart......but in the end, your finished product will be great.

OK thank you very much for the info, that was what I was looking for... I really did want to keep the original liner, because it has a "diamond" pattern finish built in thats no slip!

Im currently following about 60 threads now.....plus I am monitoring the forums, helping EZ and the guys during this spam attack.... so please feel free to pm me again if I miss an update.

cheers Num...and Merry Christmas !
ward

Wow you keep busy! hehe hope I wasn't bothering you. :)

And Merry Christmas to you! looks like it'll be 81degrees here woot! (just had to rub it in a little hehehe)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Hey all,

Just a quick update... with the holidays I haven't done much work to the boat.. I did do some resto work on the gelcoat below the rub rail line, and I think I am going to be able to salvage it! Did my wet sand trick, (don't know if it's really a trick or not, but works), and polish/wax came out nice!

I am also going to splash it tomorrow for a test run before I rip it all apart. I plumbed up a 6gal temp tank to it since the main tank is shot, but I really really really want to see how the boat rides and performs, before I decide 100% that I am committed to the rebuild! I would hate to dump a lot of time and money into it only to find out I don't like it!

I will let you all know how it goes!

/edit forgot to add, I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but the 1st Mate and I brainstormed on some names, and since the model of the boat is pretty rare, we wanted to incorporate it into the name, so not extremely original, but I think we are going to call her "Xscape Reality"

Happy Holidays to everyone! - Num

chriscraft254

Commander

Hey man, I just saw your thread! That is a great little boat. I would finish her out to look just like the add you posted, looks great with that paint scheme and teak trims. I would do a full resto on her as well. Pull the cap so you can start from the ground up on her. It is a pita but will be well worth it in the end. Expect more unforseen expenses as you go, its a boat after all! The reason manufacturers did not put drains to the bilge from the gas tank coffin is because if you ever do have a leak, you want it to be in a sealed off area and not transferring fumes to the bilge where a spark from a bilge pump etc can cause an explosion.

My suggestion there is do run a drain but have a way to access it in the bilge so you can put a plug in it. This will keep it sealed, then on accation, with the boat power completly off, pull the plug and drain any wate if there is some. The best thing to do is make sure water doesn't get into that area to begin with by applying a good seal at the coffin lid. Is the lid in good shape or does it need to be recored?

As far as the tank goes, I would have a aluminum one made to fit. Can't believe the old one had screws all over it. Wtf!

I know there is a aquasport forum specifically for those boats. www.classicaquasport.com/ You may want to post up there also so you can get first hand knowledge of what you are getting into. If it has no wood in her, you are a step ahead of many others. Keep in mind the foam may be a support structure in this boat. Good luck and I will be following your progress.

Budd

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks CC!!!

Last edited:

vogelfish

Cadet

I have an old Aquasport Family fisher. 22 foot - with an 85 Gal tank. From your photos of the tank compartment, I'm guessing it might be the same shape... The tank was leaking so I took the tank to SP marine tanks and they fabricated a new one for about $750.00 Did a nice job. here is the link.

http://www.sptanks.com/webdev/contact.htm