14' fiberglass fishing boat restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been working on this and that with my boat project and kindof hit a wall here. As you all know, its a 14' fiberglass fishing boat. Inside the boat, there are stress cracks in the glass here and there. The previous owner filled these spots with bondo to keep water out. I'm grinding this bondo out and doing the repairs in fiberglass and resin. But there are spots where he didnt get to yet, I'd like to fill these cracks permanently as I am applying a spray in bed liner after the repairs have been completed. I looked online and there is alot of stuff on the market to repair cracks in fiberglass. What is the best for a permanent repair? I'm afriad if I just dump resin in there, it will just flow into the crack and through it, not even filling it. Some could be about 1/16" wide.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: So, Moving Right Along...

If you're applying a bedliner and the cracks are only 1/16 then I wouldn't worry about filling em. The bedliner is thick stuff and will hide those minor imperfections easily.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking that too, but would it add some strength to just lay in some 3m marine sealant too?

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pics?
anything obvious to the cause? like something mounted in that area putting undue stress on that point.
stress cracks tell me something is either weak, improperly used, or over-flexing.
are the cracks all the way thru, or just on "top" so to speak?
either way, i'd look for (and correct) the cause, then grind and patch as needed.

just dumping resin in there cant (and wont) guarantee adhesion.

just my $0.02

(then, again, i may be overthinking it.)

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only place I can see any stress is the inner transom wall. The fiberglass has delaminated from the transom board in a couple spots. The transom is still solid though, but there is some delamination on the inside.

Zyen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only place I can see any stress is the inner transom wall. The fiberglass has delaminated from the transom board in a couple spots. The transom is still solid though, but there is some delamination on the inside.

in that case, i agree with wood...with the cracks being small, and no real cause for alarm, probably dont need to do anything to them before applying the liner.

me, however, since you have to reglass parts of the transom and gonna have the resin and glass out anyway, i'd at least grind the crack out and resin over where it was.
but, thats just me.

either way, let us know how it works out. :)

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I decided today to get into this. I tore out the transom inner wall and found what??? A rotted transom, what else. I ripped the whole transom out and now need to know what's next? I have some holes on the back exterior wall that need filled. I'd like to post pics, system says they are too large. how can I easily resize them?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

This build is way off the rails.......lets see if we can get you on track bud.

First off....as far as re sizing pics.....I prefer using the photo bucket method rather than the thumbnail attachments.

If you upload your pics to photobucket then you can resize them easily with the photobucket re size button....the size is 680x420
then copy the img tag......and paste it into your post......the pics look like this

005-3.jpg

If this is all greek to you......it wont be when you get into the photo bucket site.....it is quite easy.

Ok....your boat.

The approach you are taking is time consuming and you will end up with a weak result.
Never use resin alone....on anything. resin needs fiberglass and glass needs resin......with out each other...they are weak to the point of no use.

First off.....forget the bedliner... it is an unnessary step that will gain you nothing.

Never use resin alone....on anything. resin needs fiberglass and glass needs resin......with out each other...they are weak to the point of no use.

Grind out all the bondo.....get rid of it.
Then vaccume all the dust out...and clean the area with acetone.

Make up a resin. cabosill/powered glass fiber compound......we call it peanut butter on the forum.

The recipy is in the index in my sig.
use a little more resin.....so the stuff is a consistency of peanut butter.
then using a trowel......spread the stuff on the hull
then take 1.5 oz chopped strand matt....and cover the area with the fiberglass. (glass as usual)

This whole process will only take you 1 minit per squair foot after the grinding and cleaning.........done.

this is the correct way of repairing gouges cracks and other minor scuffs in the inner hull.....if the hull is penetrated...add 2 layers of 1708 over the area.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

As far as your holes in the transom.....lets see them....then we can properly advise what way to proceed.

I hope all of the above helps you.

cheers
oops

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fortunatly I am familiar with photobucket... Just didnt know the max size.
Heres the pics.

This is before...
DSCN4487.jpg

This is after the skin was removed
DSCN4489.jpg

Here it sits awaiting the next steps. The holes I need to fill can be seen in the upper left and right side.
DSCN4495.jpg

DSCN4497.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Im sorry.

I dont understand.

Why do you want to plug the transom tow hooks?

These are majorly important

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They were measured and cut out for regular old U bolts. That was a huge factor to my transom rotting. The PO didnt seal them. I wanted to seal these and make new ones for the correct hardware.
What kind of wood, epoxy and steps do I need to complete this? I searched and seems like its all a bit overkill for what this small boat would require. I'm not trying to cut corners here, but I'm guess in I wont need the same repair as a 30' vessel with the same problem.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

are the new hooks a different size?
I would make sure of that before i sealed them....

But in any case......To fill the holes.....I would wait till you get the new transom in.

then just take a grinder....and grind out a dish around the holes.....then fill the two holes with glass...then cover the whole area with a layer of glass.

then sand flat...and gellcoat....sand and buff.

i noticed you are using epoxy. this is really spendy and way over kill for the boat....
but its your boat...and you can use what ever materials you want.

if you use epoxy.....do not use csm anywhere on the boat.....just a bi axe cloth or a woven product.
epoxy does not like csm

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How did you notice I was using epoxy? I havent used anything yet... I want to use epoxy, but I dont know what to buy. The new hooks are longer and smaller diameter than the current holes I have in it already.
What epoxy should I use? where and when do I use it?
What kind of wood, best quality, best bang for the buck or best all around wood.
What kind of fiberglass and where do I use that?
I appreciate all the help so far here.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How did you notice I was using epoxy? I havent used anything yet... I want to use epoxy, but I dont know what to buy. The new hooks are longer and smaller diameter than the current holes I have in it already.
What epoxy should I use? where and when do I use it?
What kind of wood, best quality, best bang for the buck or best all around wood.
What kind of fiberglass and where do I use that?
I appreciate all the help so far here.

If you want to use Epoxy I'd recommend the 635 Medium epoxy for www.USComposites.com. As for glass, Like OOPS said if you use epoxy then don't use Mat, just use cloth 17oz biaxial is my preference but you could use woven roving too. If you decide to use Polyester resin, which by the way is what I'd recommend, then the 435 Resin from USC is what I'd recommend. You will use CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) and then finish with 1708 Biaxial cloth. (it has mat sewn to the backside of it) You use the glass on Every single piece of wood you put in the boat if you use Poly. If you use Epoxy then you use the cloth to tab everything to the hull.
For wood I recommend the Arauco Plywood from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I believe you would benefit form searching the Forum for topics like "Replacing a Transom" or "Replaceing a Deck and stringers" there's a lot of great pics, videos and text on this subject that you could greatly benefit from. OOPS has one of the best along with friscoboater and others

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks man, I did alot of searching, I really couldnt find "THE way" to finish this. Saw alot of different ways and techniques but nothing really definitive.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

the different techniques all work, its what you find best...wood and Oops both I hold their opinions in high regard (even if I do ignore it and do it the hard way!) and they will put you on the right path. Do it right, do it well, do it once!

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do I do with the epoxy?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I don't understand the question. You have to replace the transom wood. You need to glue the transom to the skin like the old one was. Epoxy or Poly is the GLUE you use. Like I said do a search on replacing a transom and you will see what needs to be done and what products to use.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're not hearing me man, I am searching. I cant find what I'm looking for. I'm finding a bunch of words like peanut butter, poly, epoxy, etc. I dont know where to use them. Once I get my wood cut out, what do I use to bond the two pieces together to make one big piece? Once thats done, dont I have to coat the wood before I set it in place? If so, do I set it in place wet or after it dries? What do I coat it with? What do I bond it to the hull with? after its in, what do I fill the edges with where there may be small gaps? After thats filled, what do I use to finish the skin with to give me a seamless finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.