cowling decals for 1964 Evinrude

nuttz4bolts

Cadet
I have searched and searched. I have a 1964 Evinrude Sportfour 60hp motor. I am currently in the process of sanding a very poor paint job by the previous owner. Outside of hand painting the original painted on emblems and logos I would like to put decals on instead. I have visited many sites and have found nothing for this motor and several for others. If anyone out there knows of a company that can reproduce this decal I would appreciate it. I am also looking for the Evinrude "E" that is an applique that goes on the lower cap of the cowling.
Thanks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: cowling decals for 1964 Evinrude

Check out http://www.shabestari.com/MainPage.html

David is a great guy with reasonable prices. He makes a variety of decals for the older OB's, he may have what you need.

He does good work, I'm about to post up on my Jet Star thread some decals he made for me. Swing through in a few minutes.:)

nuttz4bolts

Cadet

Thanks,
Funny you should mention him. I bought decals for my original gas tanks from him and they are outstanding. I will contact him to see if he can do what I am looking for.
Thanks again

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wow, it's a small world. I've just finished painting and mounting a 64 Sportfour 60 hp on my old tinny. After I repainted it, I decided to not mess with the decals. I like the cleaner look of the big white hood, with just the Evinrude E's on the back of both sides. Be sure you use self-etching primer when you paint it, this ensures that your color coat will stick and stay stuck...you can just rough up the old paint with steel wool, but be sure to use that primer. Using the old color coat paint as a base after roughing up the surface will mean repeating the job later on...modern color paints just don't stick like the old toxic paints used back in the day.
Before you paint that hood/cowl, set up a table that will let you have access to all sides when painting. Lots of complex curves. At the very least, you need a space/table big enough to turn it upside down. I put a piece plywood on the side of a sawhorse, so I could hang the cowl and get good access to the top of the cowl...otherwise you run the risk of having runs in the paint.
Be careful with the front metal plates, too. They are held on with flimsy tabs and very stout adhesive tape. I wanted to take mine off to paint them separately, but decided to leave them on and just mask over them. I masked mine off so I could paint the white first, then the bottom (blue), then the front plates (last). It takes a lot of white to cover the top in white, so buy more than you need.
If we get some sunshine here next week, I'll roll the boat out of the garage, put the cowl on and snap a pix or two to show you how mine came out. The tough part for me was mounting that beast on the transom all alone...good thing I have an engine hoist. The old wiring harness was toast, so I had to rewire everything from the dash start switch back to the junction box...check your wiring in the harness, I found lots of old, toasty, brittle wires in mine. Good luck and post some pix when you can.
Oh yeah, almost forgot to add this...a good, local sign/graphics shop can make you some real good peel-n-stick vinyl decals in any style or color if you can provide a photo example of what you want...shoot a pix or two of your old decals if they're still visible, with a tape measure in the shot to show the dimensions for the graphics guy/gal.

nuttz4bolts

Cadet

Finished my cowling a few days ago. Used etching primer and original paint from smi parts.
The only thing that I am in search of is the "E" that goes on the back of the cowling. One of them has the bottom foot of the E broken off. I chose not to paint over the tin parts in the front. They polish up extremely well. I also used the PC Blue as accent to paint the horns and the triangle in the back of the cowling. It is different than the original paint design but I love how it turned out. Just ordered the EVINRUDE today. Will look sharp when I get that on. I know what you mean by just the simple look. I like that too. It was tough for me to decide.
I will take some pics once I get the entire motor painted.
Thanks for the tips and look forward to seeing your sportfour.
Havn't seen but one other person with this motor. Common yet rare.

nuttz4bolts

Cadet

Thanks,
I looked them up and they really couldn't do exactly what I am looking for.
However....Dave Shebastari, who is mentioned in an above post is awesome.
I highly recommend anyone to him. He will do decals if you can send him drawings, pictures, and dimensions. He is doing exactly what I need.