MFG rebuild getting started pics

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone ! Hope all had a wonderful day !
Yep TC I get what you are saying .. There are always things that can hide from ya then pop up unexpectedly .. And usually pretty costly . First off being the title issue . If its too much of a hassle that could be a real deal breaker .. The work part is not an issue because I realistically expect this to be a 2 or 3 or more year project . If I,m doing it I plan on doing it right or at least to the best of my ability's . If I can't get it at a reasonable price than I will just keep looking until the right project comes along . Believe me there are plenty of other stuff that needs my attention just ask the Admiral ! ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Could this be the original plywood or do you think this was just a bad attempt from someone ..

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sp without any sort of emotional attachment you may be farther ahead building a wood boat from scratch! I think the duct tape on the exhaust tells a tale of how baddly this vessel was treated! And maybe a indicator of what will be discovered in the unkowns!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Love the possibility of seeing your mad skills applied to this very cool looking vintage boat...
I know if you put your mind to it you can make it better than original...
Question...if you do decide to tackle this project...the engine and drive look like they will need some serious consideration for complete replacement, instead of repair/rebuild...how do you see it?
Big chunk of change there...

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, w/out family history and a LOVE of this specific wood boat, you'd be far better off walking away.

IF that's the original bow cap plywood, it used to be painted, or covered by a marine wood of some type, mahogany or other. But it looks like a replacement bow cap.. An inboard instead of an I/O is another whole set of complications w/ a stuffing box (to carry the driveshaft from in to outside of the hull) and the strut WOG mentioned earlier.

The bow crack and what appears to be wood rot at the gash in the hull (how long is that gash 6ft?) don't bode well, IMO, for this particular wood boat. If you want to tear it down to the frame and start over,, maybe, but that's a ton of work......

Keep looking, if you want a wood boat, you'll find one, hopefully a better one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sam, if I was on site and was seeing what the pics are showing, especially after he said all she needed was cosmetic repair... I'd be backing away and looking for another project. I could not deal with what I'm seeing

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok guys thanks .. This is why I'm asking you all because I know you will give it to me straight ... The guy that has the boat bought it from a family who's father who is deceased restored a lot of boats like this . This is what he told me .. He really doesn't know much about boat restoration but wanted to try . He had to move right after he got the boat from TN to here So he brought it with him in hopes of restoring . No time know how or funds to do anything with it so he decided to sell ..
I could see about 95% of the structure from inside . The hole is about a foot and a half long but the bad wood prolly goes another few feet towards the stern . If I have to completely dismantle the whole thing than it would not be worth it to me . The dark stuff in the bottom seems to be just grease and grime .. Here are a few more pics that I have ..

Hey how did that last one get in there !!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess its just me, the boat looks like it would a great time to rebuild..... Most people would have said no way and ran like hell for the hills looking at my heap of rotten wood and glass.For me though, I loved this boat, from the first time I saw it, looked for several years until I found the carcase I got. Although I am still a long way from bringing her back from the grave and splashing, I am very happy I did it this way. Ive learned a tremendous amount so far.... When done, I will know every inch of this boat intimately. I also know, my kids will have it when Im in the ground.....

Logically, all the guys are correct....makes no sense, you will likely spend too much time, too much money on it to bring her back......but when have boats, or for that matter, restoring them, been logical? If you love the boat, love the lines and can already see it finished and you rolling on the throttle in you mind, I say low ball the current owner, get it on the cheep and bring her home.

OK, that's it for me trying to tug on your heart strings.... no more bla,bla....

BTW, Those accidental pleats look real good Sir!!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The ONLY way I'd take this Boat home with me, in the condition it's in, would be if he'd take 5 Benjamins for her. Anything more than that and I'd be walking away. The entire top deck has to be redone, IMHO. that side piece, WILL be a challenge IF you want to keep her "Au Naturale" and then the Bow issue could open up a WHOLE nuther Kettle of Fish!!! But...If you look at it as a 3-5 year project then... It could turn out to be a very nice and rewarding Project.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I will agree with corjen, it does look like it would be a ton of fun to rebuild, but at the same time, it looks like it could turn into the proverbial loose thread on the sweater, start pulling and it all unravels...
(But it is a really cool boat)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
500 maybe 6 is what I was thinking only if the motor runs . I could clean up the trailer and get that much for it . The bow from pics on others is there was a thin metal cap that was on there .. I pounded really hard all over the hull and it all seemed really strong for whatever thats worth .. I would like to know how the keel is put together . I really don't think there is like a solid stringer . More like the ply is butted with inside framework if that makes sense ... Maybe that 1x3 looking piece is a 3x3 with a dbl bevel cut to receive the ply on the bottom ..
I would hate to think 4 or 5 years down the road that I may have passed up on something kinda special ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The keel is prolly gunna be similar in design to this...
stil-fig16.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Woody .. What I don't see are the lateral bulkheads on the Century . At least not as many ... How hard do ya think it would be to flip a boat this size over ..
Would have to build a really stout gantry ....

Tnstratofam

Commander
I know the cool factor of this boat is way up there, however after seeing the pics I'm afraid I would be hard pressed to offer him more than 400 or 500 for her. That would be with a working drive train needing a little freshening up. That certainly looks like a 3 or 5 year project. I know in an earlier post I said I liked spending other peoples money, but I don't think I'd spend your hard earned green backs on that particular boat. If you do pick her up I will be tagging along for the adventure though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The hull I posted is for an Outboard. Yours is in I/O so it will be different. Once the motor is out that hull won't weigh much. Maybe #400. It'll flip just like any other hull. There's LOTS of online help for you If and when you decide to take this project on. I'll for sure be there for you Night and Day. I'll be retired by then and this would be a GREAT excuse for me to make a trip to Florida for a Week or Two!!!! You could keep the top and overlay it with 1/8" strips of Walnut or Oak to give it the Classic Strip Look!!!! She could be turned into a Bee-U-Tee-Ful Creature!!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhh Damn....Looks like all the right stuff to make her whole again is here. Now you have to make the buy..
Anyone want to make this a bidder game. No odds. Oh yea no winning $$$ either.

SURVEY SAYS...............

I say he's gonna buy it.......98% KC, and I know you will make this boat SWEAT!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
this would be a GREAT excuse for me to make a trip to Florida for a Week or Two!!!!

Sounds like a plan I just put a fresh coat of paint on our spare bedroom since the kids finally moved into there place . As long as ya don't mind sharing the room with a couple sewing machines . :D