MFG rebuild getting started pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
HOLY MOLY!!!!! It's a Good Thing I don't live closer!!! My Wife would be filing for a DEEEEVorce!!!!! That Could be a REEEEETirement Project for SHORE!!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is a very sweet looking boat! Looks like it could be made into something special.You could always do some sewing on the side for the extra cash:D:laugh:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well this boat is still for sale . https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/4752250905.html
I,m stunned ! The Admiral wants me to go look at it ! :eek: Was she serious ?:suspicious:
What do I do! What do I do !!!
Ya'll think its worth the asking price ? Look at the side pic just above the fender ... Does that look bad ?
Grey Marine inboard .... Wasn't that a Chrysler motor ..
This boat is about 5 mins from where I,m working ...
OMG ! OMG ! What do I do ? :help:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well that is a real purty Classic. Right up your alley, Hope you intend to be there in the morning to bring her home. That's some Admiral advice.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That boat would go along way to putting us tinheads and glass guys to shame I think. I know nothing about wood boats, but with a V8 who cares!!!:becky:

Pull the trigger!:madgrin: I love to spend other peoples money by the way so I may not be the best person to ask.:D

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Listing out for $8000.00

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

GetImage.ashx

Happy Holidays!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sweet! Better pull the trigger, Admiral approved MBS is a rare thing indeed!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very nice kc ! I wonder how much it would cost for a good restoration ... I must admit a wooden boat seems a bit intimidating ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LOL! I can see my wife right now putting a dollar bill on the rod and hook saying..."I got one for ya...ohh almost."

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What would I look for in assessing a boat like this ? Dry rot? Termites ? Dry cracked ribs ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sam it's pretty much the same as a glasser, cept a bit easier cuz it's all exposed. No glass hiding the rot. Stringers, Ribs, Bulkheads all exposed. Take a mallet and screw driver and start poking and tapping. Plywood will need to be meranti marine grade to be replaced and it ain't cheap. Wood will need to be, white oak, mahogany or spruce. This ain't cheap either. Resin will need to be epoxy and that ain;t cheap either. Check the drive shaft and all the fittings. Check the whip strut on the bottom of the hull. (that's the part that holds the prop shaft) Check the prop. that "Bad" spot, to me, appears to be a reflection of the fender. I think the hull looks to be in very good shape. He even states it only needs cosmetic repairs and maybe he ain't lyin.!!!:D Besides 1/4" plywood is easy to work with. I'm bettin You could turn her into a SHOWBOAT for under $2K. I just wish I could be there to help or Steal the Deal away from ya!!!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Woody .. I,m gunna call him today and hopefully check it out . Gunna take a few weeks to round up the cash so hopefully he's not in a big hurry ..
Wonder how this thing would drink the gas with the V8 ....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well a typical 200 hp @ WOT will run about 16 GPH. Soooo, I'd guess all day on the Lake you'd need 40-50 gallons.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Stopped and looked at it today .... There is a hole in the side . Looks like it hit something then the elements took over ..All the rest of the plywood feels good and solid . There was a little rot just in front of the motor where the bilge pump was under the seat area . Looks like a 1x3 laying flat right down the center keel . The stringers looked solid through out except the top 1/4" or so on one of the ones in the back area . The seats are there in the garage . I have a new computer and if I can figure out the pics download onto PB I will post some pics . I don't have my usual kodak easy share loaded yet ...
One problem is he does not have a title . Only the info from the guy he bought it from .. That may or may not be a show stopper idk ..I will need to check into it ..
Trailer will need to be modified a bit to fit better . Would like to here it run . Been a little over a year since it ran . Need to figure out how to hook it up for a test .. Fuel tank prolly needs cleaning out . Maybe make shift a plastic tank , battery , and hook up whatever water supply needed for a test ...
Any pro or cons on Grey Marine motors ?
Its really has a nice cool factor to it though ! :cool:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Depending on how easy/hard it is to get the tile in your state I figure that ought to be worth a $250 discount right there (if it's easy that is). So I didn't catch what you'd use this boat for? Do you plan to use it for skiing or just some riding around on weekends or is it the nostalgia or the challenge?