1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks JB. I was wondering what was going on with the forums. I didn't realize I posted that 3 times, my bad.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just use the flag feature if you notice any duplicate posts or Topics and type Duplicate in the flag comment box. In the Topics its harder for the mods to find and remove them.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I got some free time this week and continued where I left off grinding. I did order some zirconium resin fiber discs as they are supposed to hold their edge better than the aluminum oxide. I also ordered a bunch more flap discs. I think I am 2/3 of the way done with the grinding.

I am really hoping to have this on the water sometime next year. This means I will have to change my original plans a little. I have a complete drivetrain I plan on using, 4.3 merc, gen II drive and all related components. It wont be no speed demon but the 4.3 should be sufficient until I have enough cash to build a 5.7.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I finally got a few progress pics uploaded (if you want to call it progress) Im slowly getting there.

I was looking over the boat today and noticed some defects on the port side bottom. The lifting strakes are not straight and true, they curve up somewhere towards the middle.I believe i can readjust my bunks and correct this fairly easily since it is completely gutted. Hopefuly the pics show what I see.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I will try to get some better pics of my strake issue when the light is a little better. They are a little hard to make out since it was starting to get dark.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I finished putting my bunk boards on the port side (the side with the hull issue). I thought doing that might take care of my problem. It helped but its still not right. I'm not sure where to go from here. I know this issue needs fixed or I could end up with problems down the road. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm sorry but I could not really "See" the deformity you're referencing! Could you Circle the area in the pic where the problem exists please??

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
you might have to blow up the picture to get a better view. I have been working on it for a few hours today, bottle jack, 2x4s etc. I think I can get it really close then once the stringers are in it should hold its shape.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, well, from what I can see in the pic I would say, the same thing. Once the stringer is glassed in, whatever it looks like at that point in time, will be the way it's gunna be. It doesn't look all that bad in the pic but I'm sure you can see it better in person.;) Go with your "Gut" and call it good

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
It was much worse in person, I just couldn't get the right angle on the camera to show it. I have it blocked up in a few different places and it is much much better now. I'm sure I will have to keep it braced up until the stringers are in but at least I know where to go from here. Thanks.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I got my new grinding discs in today so I decided to try them out. The zirconias turned out to be better than the aluminum oxide I was using. They cut faster and hold their edge longer. I did end up burning up one of my angle grinders. I had a backup one so I was able to keep going.

I made some good grinding progress, I was able to get through the worst part. Down in the keel there was about 4 square feet of resin about 3/4 inch thick I had to grind out. I think at the end of the day this was the spot they dumped all the excess resin. I am glad I went that far because I found some delamination underneath that will need adressed.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I didn't get any spare time to work on the boat this week. I have been trying to get everything tucked away for winter. I did get our other boat cleaned up and winterized. The weather is still decent but I figured I better get it done while I had a little time.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I don't post much, but I've been reading your updates, it's good to see ya making headway.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks jbc. I actually just finished making my transom template. That thing is going to be beefy! Pics coming shortly.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I got a few pics from making my transom template. What I did was taped a big piece of cardboard to the back and traced around it (as my kids drew on it). Then I took a few measurments and cut out a rough cut and trimmed it to fit. It took a few hours but Im happy with the fit. I will probably make a copy out of some osb just to be sure I'm happy with it. Here is the bad spot I found in the keel. I will just grind it out to good glass and put new over it.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I got a few pics from making my transom template. What I did was taped a big piece of cardboard to the back and traced around it (as my kids drew on it). Then I took a few measurments and cut out a rough cut and trimmed it to fit. It took a few hours but Im happy with the fit. I will probably make a copy out of some osb just to be sure I'm happy with it. Here is the bad spot I found in the keel. I will just grind it out to good glass and put new over it.

Good stuff boatnut74 the kids are having a good time and dad is getting some stuff done!!!! That is a large transom. :faint2: I also found a few blemishes in the Aerocraft glass. Keep up the good work!!!!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
I made another transom template last night. My first one wasn't quite sim metrical so I made one that was. Waiting for the boat to dry out so I can test fit it. We got about 5" of rain yesterday so things are pretty damp yet.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Don't forget, there is a 50/50 chance the boat isn't symmetrical.................... Hope it fits good, w/ a 1/4"+/- gap around the outer edges of the transom ply, roughly cut correctly should still fit and work good w/ PB to install it, PB fillets @the edges and a couple layers of tabbing...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
There will be a 1/4" gap at the bottom. The original transom was a few inches from the outside so that's how the new one will be. I'm sure it's not symmetrical but the new template is better than the first one.

jbcurt00

Staff member
A newer better fitting transom template sounds great then ;)