mini speed boat transom repair

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: mini speed boat transom repair

Peter,

Usually fillers with reinforcing in them are used for deep fills or fills that need to be somewhat reinforced. Its typically very hard to get a good finish with them. They are more for a bulk fill. I have seen a couple guys on here use this product.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6515&familyName=3M+Marine+Premium+Filler

I think it will work a lot better for you than the reinforced version unless you have some pretty deep gouges. I haven't used it, but from what I have heard it is harder stand than normal automotive body filler. When I rebuilt mine I used normal automotive body filler, and I haven't had any problems.

I also used automotive paint and primer. The filling primer was very easy to sand and the paint gave me a lot more options for colors and metallic flakes. That being said there are a lot of people on here that swear by the marine filler and paints. If you are planning on leaving the hull in the water a lot, I would go with the marine products for sure. Mine is usually in the water for a few days then back on the trailer. After two seasons I am very happy with it. One note, the supplier I used recommended that I wait at least 45 day after it was painted before putting it in the water. It had something to do with the paint off gassing and the water not allowing that to happen. It took me about 90 days to get it rigged out anyhow, so that wasn't an issue. Hope that helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thiis ^^^^^ is the right stuff for Fairing. 3M Premium Marine Filler. Sands well and is 100% waterproof. A pint should be enuf but no more than a quart for sure.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how well does the fairing compound bond to undercoats/primer?

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the long and arduous fairing process

I wish i wasnt so "trigger happy" with the grinder

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looking good... I'm on this step, too- FILL, Sand. FILL, Sand. Seems like it'll never end. But- It does. And it's worth it!

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

how well does the fairing compound bond to undercoats/primer?

The filler will adhere as long as the substrate is well "Stuck" and sanded cleaned and prepped by washing down with Acetone.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks wood, that is what i have been doing.

i received a knock on the door a few mornings ago!
motorparcel.jpg

here is a photo of my resin sculptures hehe
sculptures.jpg

ready for paint
IMG_1034.jpg

first of the primer
IMG_1040.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good looking art collection you've got going!

& oh yeah, the hull looks great too! Since you started this thread, I seem to 'see' mini's & wet 'bikes' (??early jet ski's w/ OB/'s??) regularly. Even 2 sleds powered by an early jet ski style pump & impeller. 1 of those just popped up yesterday. W/ huge 50's fins & 'taillights'.

Can't wait to see it finished, or at least w/ the OB hanging of the back.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

still fairing and undercoating.
topsideundercoat.jpg

I have the trailer and am about to start setting it up. I was thinking two bunks under the chines in the yellow circles and very wide keel rollers for the red circle. Can anyone advise otherwise?
transom.png

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a single keel roller at the rear and two bunks will be more than enough. The roller at the rear would make it easier to launch and load on a shallow ramp... honestly the two bunks alone would be fine too...... think jetski

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

some more paint.
The white is still the undercoat, will start the gloss stuff this week.
finalredcoat2-1.jpg

finalredcoat3-1.jpg

registeroot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent finish on this. The filling and fairing has really paid off.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

finished the top coat of white paint!

im still deciding on the inside colour. im thinking a light grey.

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looking great, you've really come a long way!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man, the red & white look great!

I don't remember seeing what you landed on for power: 30-40hp?

Power T&T?

Were you waiting for the paint work to be complete or mostly complete before a pool float test?

Good looking little boat, should be a screamer!

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the boat is only 8 foot!
all the 2 cylinder 40s were still 2 heavy so they are out of the picture.
I had planned on a 30 but after seeing how much heavier the boat is now i became concerned with the weight of the motor. So im starting off with something smaller, a 18hp electric start tohatsu. They weigh 90 lbs. The 25/30 tohatsu weigh 115 lbs.

If the boat handles the 18 fine and weight is not so much of an issue and i feel i can gain more speed ill certainly look at upgrading. I sanded all the electrolysis off the engine and am waiting for some touch up paint. I also serviced the engine and its running great. I also bought a tacho for it.

Im getting so close to rigging this thing!! i might dunk it in the water this weekend for a float test.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great to hear there's a float test pending! Paint work looks good.

At 8' you might be able to move the fuel forward and not spend a fortune on fuel hoses. Is there an acceptable battery that weighs less then a full size marine battery?

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its a small ride on mower / jetski type battery, so its still built to marine specs. I had to get electric start because their is no room to manoeuvre around in this thing
I have the standard 15L fuel tank but i only plan on ever putting in 5L at a time. Do you know of any other "miniature" fuel cells i could use to save space and weight?