• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 10pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

mini speed boat transom repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mini speed boat transom repair

shes gonna be strong....!!!!
    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Looks like you are coming along nicely!! Those modifications look like they will make her plenty strong... I think you should hang a 150 or so on her

This makes me want to get my next project started now- I've got something VERY similar to this that I am going to be working on next.

Comment

Originally posted by andgott View Post
        Looks like you are coming along nicely!! Those modifications look like they will make her plenty strong... I think you should hang a 150 or so on her

This makes me want to get my next project started now- I've got something VERY similar to this that I am going to be working on next.
        A 150!!!
        its a great little project, a real manageable size. I dont know why people on here make a big deal about flipping hulls. i flip this one 3-4 times a day! You should start yours, ide like to watch the transformation of another one.

I have been looking at 25hp/30hp which are all around the 110ish# mark. then anything 40hp jumps up to 155ish# mark, ide love a 40hp johno or 3cyl merc/tohatsu but im pretty sure it will be too much weight, what do you think? im going to put the boat in my pool and get someone to stand on the back of it and see what it looks like in the water. 30hp is probably heaps! but a 40hp w/ power trim would be luxurious! and transform the boat.

I have 9 days off over christmas, hoping to be up to painting by then.

Comment

Originally posted by andgott View Post
          I think you should hang a 150 or so on her
          I'm thinkin 90 Yammi 2 stroke 3 cyl. 260#
          1981 Baja 15SS_1983 Johnson 140_62.9 mph
          1981 Glastron/Carlson C500 metric series_Modified 1978 Evinrude 140_Project
          1971 Glastron V153_1986 Evinrude 90_54.8 mph_Rebuilt then unceremoniously wrecked
          Walk Tall And Carry A Big Bilge Pump

Comment

what do you all suggest i do with the space under the floor?
            i had planned to leave it open with a self draining bung. perhaps i should make it water tight and fill it with foam?

ideas appreciated.

If i am correct it is very early christmas morning over in the states, so Merry Christmas to you all and be safe!

Comment

Merry Christmas to you too! (your calculations are right)

Your moving right along and to my amateur eye looks like a lot of good glass work your doing.

I don't know if you could get enough foam in there to make it worthwhile (I'll leave that to the ones in the know), but I wouldn't seal it tight. I'd leave it open so any water that might make it in there has somewhere to exit to.

Comment

im going to try and find 3m premium marine filler, if i dont sucseed. will this stuff do?

hoping you can open this link.
                http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...89#Description

3m fibreglass reinforced filler. 2 part polyester
                Fibre reinforced multipurpose filler
                High strength, forms tough and rigid surface
                Repairs large dents, holes or rust on cars, boats, trailers, caravans, brickwork, concrete & timber

Comment

so i did virtually no work on the boat during my holidays... how could i when its 86*, my pool is the cleanest its ever been and the beach is so inviting?

anyhow i have finished glassing the deck and transom, I have used up my 10m roll too.
                  I bought that filler^^ still unsure if i should use it for fairing the hull, it looks a lot like peanut butter with all its glass strands and what not. Hoping someone will say yay or nay.

I did get a little air on the leading faces of those triangles, no matter.

Comment

I don't know which filler is good & which should be avoided when below the waterline. That may have been just boats that are left in the water full-time & not taken out & trailered every use. I do know there has been more then 1 post about fillers above & below the waterline..... Sorry I didn't answer your question, but you should hear back from an expert soon..... Good to bump your thread & get it freshly listed on repair forum homepage..... If no reply mid day tomorrow........ wait it may already be that for you is Australia....... anyway, post to your thread again in 8-12hrs, and get it relisted on the repair homepage.....
                    60 Glastron FireFlite
                    63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR
                    Fit 2B Paddled
                    57 Duracraft

Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
                    Majic sigpic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

i have read any fillers/fairers containing talc should be avoided.

i believe this is the msds for the product i have which indeed contains talc.
                      http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...9lxtD7SSSSSS--

but then again so does the premium marine filler everyone reccomends. all be it a lot less.
                      http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/p...m%20Filler.pdf

ill keep searching...

Comment

Peter,

Usually fillers with reinforcing in them are used for deep fills or fills that need to be somewhat reinforced. Its typically very hard to get a good finish with them. They are more for a bulk fill. I have seen a couple guys on here use this product.

http://www.**************************...Premium+Filler

I think it will work a lot better for you than the reinforced version unless you have some pretty deep gouges. I haven't used it, but from what I have heard it is harder stand than normal automotive body filler. When I rebuilt mine I used normal automotive body filler, and I haven't had any problems.

I also used automotive paint and primer. The filling primer was very easy to sand and the paint gave me a lot more options for colors and metallic flakes. That being said there are a lot of people on here that swear by the marine filler and paints. If you are planning on leaving the hull in the water a lot, I would go with the marine products for sure. Mine is usually in the water for a few days then back on the trailer. After two seasons I am very happy with it. One note, the supplier I used recommended that I wait at least 45 day after it was painted before putting it in the water. It had something to do with the paint off gassing and the water not allowing that to happen. It took me about 90 days to get it rigged out anyhow, so that wasn't an issue. Hope that helps.
                        Miss Morgan,1969 Sleekcraft "Boats by Nescher" Newport. Power by Mercury 115 L6, tower of power.
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364284

Current project, pontoon rebuild / redesign http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=512264

Nothing is done so poorly that the government can’t do it worse!

“It’s easy being a humorist when you’ve got the whole government working for you.”—Will Rogers

Comment

Thiis ^^^^^ is the right stuff for Fairing. 3M Premium Marine Filler. Sands well and is 100% waterproof. A pint should be enuf but no more than a quart for sure.
                          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

how well does the fairing compound bond to undercoats/primer?

Comment

the long and arduous fairing process

I wish i wasnt so "trigger happy" with the grinder

Comment

Originally posted by Peter16 View Post
                                the long and arduous fairing process
                                Ya but if you just keep picturing it with that fresh paint all smooth it'll be done in no time.

You're making good progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X