Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So as I'm thinking . Correct me if I'm wrong .. You want the gauge area/ plate to be more vertical and the area outlined just above the wheel that the steering hub will rest to be angled like you have now ... That would look good ! Maybe even have the front curve up over the gauges to form like a sun shield or spoiler kinda ..
Does that make sense ? Ohh Ohh dont forget a spot for a cold beverage !! :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
So as I'm thinking . Correct me if I'm wrong .. You want the gauge area/ plate to be more vertical and the area outlined just above the wheel that the steering hub will rest to be angled like you have now ... That would look good ! Maybe even have the front curve up over the gauges to form like a sun shield or spoiler kinda ..
Does that make sense ? Ohh Ohh dont forget a spot for a cold beverage !! :)

Yes, Yes and Yes [ look back at the first pic above and you'll see the little sketch, lower left...;)...] ...you nailed it, sir!

I plan on at least a couple of beverage holders, don't you worry none 'bout that...:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ahh I missed the side view cut on the sketch .. The beverage had most of my attention ..:)
Be careful how far out you make the sunshield ... Thinking if ya run up on a sandbar or something ya might end up chewin on the console .. :eek:
Can't wait to see it all come together !

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks like you're putting a lot of thought into the project. I really like what you've come up with so far regarding the dash/instrument layout. A very informative and enjoyable thread! Oh, I'd put the beverage holder a little lower down.......:)

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class
lookin good Gus,cant wait to see it all done and in the water,and im sure you cant either,if all goes well,ill be putting mine in the water tomorrow,AND do a little fishing,after i test and check everything,hope it goes well.

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
T'ween cardboard and MS Paint I am coming up with something like this...

Bed time, night, night...:sleeping::sleep:

Are you going to put a handrail over the control unit?? Is that what the white/black line is in the ms paint photo??

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
3 Years Ago...
October 2011

It all began...

fetch

fetch

fetch
fetch

Sure has come a long way...

Thanks for all the help and support, Iboaters...
The saga continues...
Happy Restoration Anniversary, "Bassassin"

Next, an actual update...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
End of the weekend update...

After brainstorming for what seemed like an eternity on Saturday and finally making up my mind how to do this...

I built a rough seating section to help me get the right "feel" to everything...

Then got the gauges angled and oriented just right...

Got to it early Sunday by visiting every major home supply store within a 10 mile radius and began some accessorizing of the portable shelter by hanging some extension cords and a new fluorescent light fixture...plus picking up what I hoped would be needed to create the "chase" for all of the wiring and controls...

I finally narrowed down the layout of the first main "chase"/"conduit"...
Then, I tried to bend the 3"PVC, but that was an epic fail...details if asked for...

Then I figured it would be just as good a curve to use 45º elbows...
Added a 3" x 3" x 2" Y to provide a path for electrical wiring from the engine to the main battery compartment...

Custom fit a shallow 2" Y to the 3" Main Chase for the controller cables...

Still a ways to go, but definitely starting to take shape...
Till next time, hope everyone is doing good...
:D

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Happy anniversary and the progress looks great liking the thought process to

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Gus !
Ok , I really just noticed looking at the framing square just how wide the Bassassin is at the helm .. Then I noticed the blue foam for the side gunwale skirts .
As usual an awesome idea ... Plywood sandwich of just glassed over ?
Btw , it's only an epic failure if if the wires won't go thru ... :D. Angled fitting looks like it will do the trick ! ;)

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Happy anniversary Gt looking great . I am not sure if electrical PVC is same size as dwv but they have a longer sweeping 45s and 90s

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Hey bud, like I said about that sand but you already know...

I did fill it with sand...

All the way up to here...

And I used both the heat gun and the torch...the heat gun was taking forever and the torch barely got it soft enough...

I really wanted to get going on this and the sand was at the same temp as when it came out of the bag...along with whatever humidity...
that was prolly as much to do with the fail as well as the following...

I had a feeling the PVC pipe I bought was Not going to work because it isn't made of solid PVC, instead it is an inner PVC liner surrounded by foam with an outer skin made of PVC...

Ah well, I think it will all work out in the end...

Happy Monday, y'all!:)

zool

Captain
Maybe you can try bridging it across something, and hang weight on it for a day or so and keep adding heat here and there Gus....they grey electricians conduit bends with some effort.

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY GUS!!! Cant believe its been 3 years already,cant wait to see the finished product,have a great week!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I did fill it with sand...

All the way up to here...

And I used both the heat gun and the torch...the heat gun was taking forever and the torch barely got it soft enough...

I really wanted to get going on this and the sand was at the same temp as when it came out of the bag...along with whatever humidity...
that was prolly as much to do with the fail as well as the following...

I had a feeling the PVC pipe I bought was Not going to work because it isn't made of solid PVC, instead it is an inner PVC liner surrounded by foam with an outer skin made of PVC...

Ah well, I think it will all work out in the end...

Happy Monday, y'all!:)
Uhmm... Not to pick on ya but...when I've done it and mind ya it's only been with smaller stuff (1" and 1.5" AND it's always been SOLID PVC) I always filled it up ALL the way with sand and then capped the ends. I would then extend the pipe off the end of a table and hang a weight on the end and heat it till it started to bend. Seemed to work well with the smaller stuff, but I think the sand has to be packed in fairly tight, to keep the pipe from wrinkling, but I could be wrong! I've been there before!!!!:eek::D;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.