Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey GUS,glad to see things are movin,albeit slowly,always lookin forward to what you get done next,i have learned so much from your experience on your boat,that what little ive done in comparison,i was able to do confidently,and so far correctly,i admit a few things need to be tweaked but to me that will always be the case,ive enjoyed fallowing your progress since day 1,wish you continued success,and cant wait till the day you post pics of the final product,that should be exciting,take care GUS,and ill get some more pics of mu BOSS180TE,UPLOADEDin the morning,take care.JACK.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Gratuitous :bump2:

For any of you who may still be interested in this thread...

This is a sort of update...

Life has gotten really bizeee, bizeee, bizeee and many, many things are happening in my little world...

Most of it is good, so no worries...Okie Dokie...?

Stay tuned for further information coming to a computer screen near you...

Thanks for tuning in and may all your boating times be FUN!

GT1M

PS-
Below are some pics...

They don't really depict too much, but are only presented as a study of things to come...

Just admiring a nice looking stern...

Peace out :cool:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Yahoo, gus....seems you and I have been off the grid of late. I'm glad you are well and progress is imminent. I will be updating, too, soon. Sometimes, there just ain't much to say, huh?

bungee49

Petty Officer 3rd Class
lookin forward to see how you will tie this all in at the end,and to see the finshed BASSASSIN!!,the roller on your trailer,is there a certain height setting on those,mine doesnt set quite that high as yours,and i dont eve3n know if my boat touches it when i put her back on,havent got to that stage yet,just curious,

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
the roller on your trailer,is there a certain height setting on those,mine doesn't set quite that high as yours,and I don't even know if my boat touches it when i put her back on,haven't got to that stage yet,just curious,
Best guess is that as long as it sits slightly above the frame of the trailer, the purpose of the roller is to begin guiding the bow/keel up till the bunks take over to carry the weight...

O.K. finally Friday!
Er ah, Saturday...yeah, that's it...
And I have almost enough stuff to actually attempt at making some progress...Except time...:facepalm:
Needed a new D/A, electric, to sand, ruff-n-scuff and generally prep the ENTIRE interior of the hull in anticipation for some serious finishing steps and actual forward progress...
Ordered a new DeWalt at a great price thru Amazon a couple of days ago and it arrived today...almost seems as though they are using drones to deliver these packages, they get here so fast...
Modified some vacuum hoses in order to be able to connect the shop vac to it...

The sections of PVC pipe you see in the previous pics are mainly being used as study guides to get an idea of where, what size and how many "conduits" I want/need to run down the sides of the gunwales...
They will be used as places to run both control cables and wiring...
One of the reasons this "finishing" stage is taking so long, is due to my hard headed approach to creating a custom cap for my boat...
As originally designed, it would have probably worked out fine...but compared to the much more efficient use of space in today's modern bass boats...I just had to come up with my own way of designing the interior to better suit my needs and wants...
Yes, it has, and will extend, the build time of this boat by quite a bit, but in the end I will end up with a layout I am happy with along with having learned a ton.
Another side benefit will be that I get to use, document and hopefully share some of the techniques I have used in the past to custom build parts for my own use...
Some of the things I will be doing include building two custom consoles, custom seating area, custom live wells, adding as much floatation foam as possible to any cavities that I will be creating as I get closer to figuring out how I am going to make the interior...

The following pics are merely a beginning of some of the ideas I will be working on and begin the process of creating actual forms and molds to bring my vision to reality...

MIstakes can and will be made, but that is part of the learning curve...
Excessive boo-boos can be minimized by doing all of the engineering in cheap cardboard and tape, and if you want, hot glue...

Here are a couple of "studies" in cardboard, masking tape and sections of PVC pipe, all mocked up to help me visualize and "flesh" out the Helm station...

Here is a "TEST" bend on some Sch.40 PVC pipe...warmed it slowly with a small propane torch until it just started to bend, then keep moving the heat, all around and forward in the direction you want the bend to go...

That's all for now...hopefully I'll get some more time on this in the next few days...

Happy Saturday, y'all!

Willyclay

Captain
I'm glad somebody is getting work done on their boat because I surely am not. Final room of total interior house remodel is master bath and it's about to kill me. Maybe I will get my boat back in the water someday before I die. Sorry about the rant, Gus, but seeing your work gets me fired up. Keep milking that money tree!

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glad you are back at it !!! And back on iboats !!!!
Had a couple of setbacks up here, but everything should be good in the long run.
I am hoping to get some work done on Ugly Betty later this week.

Not sure how many of you use that social network thingie, but I de-activated my account last week for several reasons. I realized a number of things:
1.) I sure don't miss it as much as I thought.
b.) I get more things done offline !!!
3.) I am reading a lot more.
d.) I spend a lot more time on the iboats forums !!!! YAY !!!!!:focus:

Can't wait to see your progress, Gus. You are a true inspiration. :first:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Heat Gun works good too and doesn't discolor the PVC!!! Are you filling with sand or NO!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There's some forward progress on the glass bass assassin!

Yeah using schedule 80 conduit and needing it to be bent I was shown a nice trick. Use duct tape to cover the ends of the pipe so the heat wont escape and apply heat, I've used a weed burner and it doesn't shoot such a narrow hot jet. The stuff turns into a licorice whip you can bend easily.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Heat Gun works good too and doesn't discolor the PVC!!! Are you filling with sand or NO!!!

Heat gun...Yes, I have one at work...and yes it does work very good...
I am just conducting some general testing and the propane torch is what I had on hand...
Causes the pipe to heat up much more quickly than a heat gun and bend faster...
Afterwards, I tried a few seconds of sanding with some 60 grit on the D/A and it came out looking like this...

Surprisingly with a nice rough texture that will hold paint better and when expanding foam is poured around it, it may actually grip better...:noidea:
If I really needed the outside of the PVC to look pristine again, I could also sand it down clean and smooth, then prime and paint it...in most cases though, the bends and any ugliness will eventually be permanently and completely buried in expanding foam...
And, yes sir! I am familiar with Hot sand method of bending PVC...does a great job of keeping the pipe from kinking...

Tried to get out there today, but after morning obligations finally got out to the boat at around 3 P.M., it looked like a stunningly beautiful day, but felt "hotter-n-nockers-in-a-sack"...
So, I decided to take some temp readings...just pointing the IR thermometer at random surfaces, all within a few feet of each other and was quite surprised by some of the readings...

Wet tile floor, in the shade...

Green, sun lit grass...

Hot spot on the hull...

Neighbor came by for a couple of frosties and some jibber-jabberin, killed a couple more hours, then around 5-ish, got out to mess with the boat...

This time, using the Hot Glue gun, I cut out a section of the Helm station, re-did it, and made a fairly solid, close to final design for the starboard gunwale trim out piece...
Also, mocked up the approximate location and angle of the steering wheel...

Has felt really good to make some progress and I am really looking forward to getting a few more things done on this restoration bucket list...

Hope everyone has an awesome week!

Jared9220

Seaman
I am still trying to work my way through this whole thread, but from what I've skipped through everything looks awesome!!! I will be following along from now on if you don't mind.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glad to see you back at it GT, your thread has been a great source of information and inspiration for many. :encouragement:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
T'ween cardboard and MS Paint I am coming up with something like this...

Bed time, night, night...:sleeping::sleep:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great start on the Bassassin command center Gus ! All the sitting back and visualizing is always fun ....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks to me like that thing is gunna go where No Bass Boat has Gone Before and need some Dilithium Crystals!!!! Beam Me up Gussy!!!!!:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Amazing, it is true...a midweek update...
As has been said many times before in this forum...
A little bit everyday, ...every chance you get, ...every now and then, ...when you can...
Trying to squeeze in little bits, here and there...
While this is proving to be the most fun since sliced bread, it does take a lot of tiny steps and a lot of time, to get things looking and feeling just right...
However, bit by bit it slowly starts to come together and begin to take shape...

First, in my minds eye...and some mock ups/models for reference...

shifting, changing, moving about, studying...then more of the same...

Then I begin to like what I see...

I think I will make the face angle of the gauges more vertical, maybe even slightly, facing downward...

To Be Continued...

I hope to not get too bogged down in real life and continue on the boat at this current pace...which IF I can...
Should have me converting all of these little experiments into reality...within the next couple of months...:whistle:...Hopefully...

Happy middle of the week to all Iboaters...
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.