Git-Rot repair for deck. 1997 Aquasport Striper

Hi,
I am getting ready to repair some soft spots in my deck and before I begin to cut up and fiberglass the spots I would like to try Git-Rot. If anyone has used it let me know what you think. Did it work? Does anyone know how far the epoxy can be stretched? (I have 16oz bottle and don't know how much of the 5/8" core of wood that will repair.)

The boat being repaired is a 1997 Aquasport Striper. I am repairing the deck from 8 inches in front of the transom approximately 4ft forward just behind the console seat. Does anyone know what kind of stringers this boat has (foam/wood)? I just want to make sure if there is anymore water damage that I address it as well.

Thanks,
Capt. Trueblood

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Git-Rot repair for deck. 1997 Aquasport Striper

Git Rot is basically Thinned Epoxy and in a nutshell NOT a very good fix for boats. One of our experts here on the forum has extensive knowledge on this product and does NOT recommend it's use. Thinning epoxy destroys the inherent strength of the product and renders it pretty much useless. If you have significant soft spots in your deck there is a pretty good chance that the stringers and transom have some issues as well. I would highly recommend that you do further investigation into their condition. I'm pretty sure your boat has wood stringers wrapped with glass.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That area is where naturally water gathers for the bilge system of the boat. Not to be a party pooper but I will bet that there is a large amount of rot under that area. Just about every time there is floor rot in that area you find the stringers rotten to the point of being gone, Fiberglass de-laminating on the hull due to water standing and usually the transom will be rotten as well.
Best to do some indepth inspection to find out completely what is gone.
You could be lucky and that floor may be all that is gone. But patching up a floor with rot under it could be very bad. That could result in a sinking boat or worse. You will not want to cover it up then someone else obtain the boat thinking that nothing is wrong.
In sort, further inspection needed.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's funny! Wood must be a faster typer than me!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The bad thing about those glass boats is that they rot from the bottom up and by the time the deck starts getting soft all kinds of nastiness has happened below.