New Project! 1998 Rockport Center Console Flats boat w/ 1999 70hp Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,

It has been a few years since I've had a boat, and a few years since I've tinkered with one. I had a 1995 Blue Wave 189T that I completely refinished. I believe I had a thread on this website, but who knows if the pics are still working. Basically I removed all of the interior carpet, and replaced it with DuraBak. I then had to do it AGAIN because what I originally thought was UV resistant DuraBak was not, so it faded BAD quickly. The second application held up beautifully once i got the right product. Here's my old Blue Wave with the Durabak on it:
dsc02486small4ww.jpg

Here's more pics of it with the original durabak, then faded durabak, then new UV resistant durabak (went darker on decks the second time):
http://lonestarsharkers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=583

I had to sell that boat a few years back in order to fund my Wife's Masters Degree. Somewhere along the line, I got tired of construction project management as a career...took a huge paycut, made a big life change and joined the good ol' US Coast Guard. As an active member of the USCG, I have been transferred around a bit. My current duty station allows me a little bit of free time, and more importantly, I live on a canal with access to great fishing! So, living on a canal...I had to have a boat, right?! That's what I told my wife at least! We can't have a house, with a canal, and a covered boat slip with an empty lift!

So, early september.... I finally got my Wife to give me a green light. She's great! A buddy of mine happened to have a boat for sale...and I had just saved up enough to pay for it. He was a few hours away, and I hadn't gotten a chance to go see it yet...but I had planned to purchase it regardless as I trust him and his description of the boat. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, and a little more than I wanted to spend, but it was a good deal and a good boat for my area.

Needless to say, life got in the way a bit (doesn't it always?). On 14SEP2011 I received the greatest gift of my life, a son! He wasn't supposed to be here until 04NOV11, so he came a few months early! Although he had to stay in NICU for a few weeks for precautionary reasons, he's healthy and home now, doing well! The delay he caused was well worth it...but now it was time to get serious. As I was about to go visit my friend out of town and look at his boat, I stumbled upon another boat locally that was almost exactly what I was looking for.

I wanted the following out of a boat:
-inexpensive ($2000-5000, maybe more if it was just too good of a deal to pass)
-shallow running
-16-20'
-solid hull, but needing some work (I like to tinker and make things my own-prefer something needing work as it's less expensive up front)
-reliable outboard
-family safe
-minimal corrosion

Preferred options i wanted, but not necessary:
-trolling motor
-jack plate
-baitwell
-front and rear casting decks
-preferred glass over aluminum
-preferred a semi-V over a flatbottom for choppy water
-poling tower

My friends boat met all of those 'required' except the last one to a point- it is a tunnel-V style shallow water boat with no sides/gunwales. So, the younger and elderly people in the family could easily fall right off. Although I can look past that, I preferred something with sides, and it made an easier sell to Mama. My buddy's boat also didn't have much of the preferred additions. It was pretty bare. Still a good deal though...

Well, the boat that fell right into my lap met all of the 'required' above! It also had a bonus - it came with a 55# saltwater trolling motor and battery, a poling tower for the rear, and a removable temporary baitwell. It also has a jackplate and a casting deck on the front (aluminum removable). The trailer is not perfect, but the running gear is good. It mainly just needs the side guide boards replaced. Otherwise, everything else has been gone through recently. Trailer wasn't much of a concern as it will be stored in a boat slip. I Just need it if I have to evacuate for a storm, and when we move again or it goes to a shop.

With that said, it is a 'project' as it needs some cosmetic repair, and a few additions. However, it is fishable/useable "AS-IS" and I plan to make it a project that I fish with in the meantime. Should be fun!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The details on the boat:
- 1998 17'3" Rockport made by Renegade Marine out of Rosebud, TX. They are a little company who used to make hand laid, relatively inexpensive bay/shallow water boats. They are probably most popular for their 'BaySport' line (not to be confused with Pioneer Baysport), or their 'CatTrax' cat hull shallow water boats. They aren't a top-tier manufacturer, but build a good fishing boat for this area.
- ??? Beam? (I'll fill this in later, not sure, probably 7' at top of gunnel, 6 at sole/deck)
- V-bow with flat pocket tunnel
- 6-8" draft?? Not sure on this, but previous owner has pics of it floating in less than shin deep water.
- 70hp Nissan w/3-blade S.S. prop (not sure on pitch). Recent impeller/t-stat, 123-126psi compression on all 3, minimal corrosion, everything works.
- hydraulic jack plate
- removable rear poling tower
- 55# Riptide

Boat History:

According to the seller, the original owner was actually a electric/phone company in SE Texas. They used the boat to get to structures that were over shallow water. As you can imagine, the hull took some licks, probably beating against telephone poles and what not. He did say that they didn't use it often, so it should be fairly low hours for the age. The engine appears to be in good condition for the age...but who knows on hours. The rolled-gunnel on one side has a small crack and will need some attention. Otherwise, the obvious repair on the keel needs to be finished. The boat is water-tight, and appears solid and dry. The few screws in the deck and transom were sealed and shouldn't have allowed much water in, so it should be structurally sound.
The front platform was added by the phone company to serve as a work platform and storage compartment. It is aluminum, thick, heavy, and not the prettiest thing to look at...although it does appear to be made well and does fit pretty good. It will serve as a nice casting deck for the time being.
The person I bought it from has owned it for a few years. He did a lot of freshwater fishing, and a few saltwater trips. He re-painted the interior with interlux paint. He showed me one area where he applied some thin cloth/resin because the cooler was vibrating and slowly wearing into the existing resin/cloth. He said it probably didn't need it, but he had extra already mixed from the keel repair so he wanted to put it to use. Otherwise, he added the rear poling tower and appears to have sealed it up well, even though it's above the water line. He also added the trolling motor, and did a lot of maintenance work on the engine and trailer.
It has been worked and fished hard, but appears to be holding up pretty well for a 12-13yr old boat.

My plans are as follows:

MECHANICAL/ELECTRICAL:

-Re-Wire electrical components. The boat had a depthfinder stolen off of it at one point, and when the thiefs took it - they messed up the wiring under the console. The seller currently has the bilge pump, ignition, tilt/trim, and jack plate working well. The rest needs work. I'll just go through it all, clean up anything unneccessary, and do it all correctly to prevent further worries. There is a nice rigging tube with plenty of space - should be easy and simple. I just need to measure and order the tinned wire. I'll pull extra wires for future baitwell, led courtesy lights, etc.

-replace plugs, plug wires if needed (looked good upon quick visual inspection), lower unit lube, fuel lines/filters. Waterpump and t-stat just recently changed w/receipt.

-replace steering cable eventually. It has a spot that was 'rubbed through' on the poling tower. It currently works well, but I'd like to replace it before it is too late.

-Add a few low-draw LED courtesy lights to center console, bow, and stern. Just enough to bait a hook in the dark...nothing bright.

-Add a VHF/depthfinder/GPS eventually. A handheld VHF/GPS will be used until I figure out which ones I want.

-check stereo speakers. If they are good, I'll replace the headunit (current one has a stolen faceplate). If speakers are bad, I'll remove them and do without.

EXTERIOR:
-Repair minor exterior blemishes. There is some oyster rash on the sharp 'V' keel. It has been repaired, but never gel-coated. I may just smooth it a bit more, and then put a keel guard on it. I'm not trying to make it a show boat, but I want it to be strong and structurally sound. It currently is...but could use a little fairing to clean up the line on the keel.

-Add paint to the hull sides - probably either seafoam green or carolina blue. Possibly a small graphic on the aft portion of the sides, like a stripe of sorts. We'll see. I worked in a body shop for a while, did a lot of paint and prep work, so I should be able to lay out a pretty slick coat of something on the sides. I'm not too concerned with the bottom...but I may coat it eventually. It will get scuffed a lot though as I pull up on beaches/banks frequently.

-Replace exterior rub-rail. It has taken some abuse over the years. Some of the insert is missing. I've replaced these before - pretty easy project and really helped the appearance of the boat to look 'New' again. If I'm going to paint the sides, it will need a nice new rubrail!

INTERIOR:
-Add 14-18" wide casting deck across the stern, with baitwell, battery box, and dry storage. The boat is really void of any dry storage. It is a plane ol' fishing boat. The battery sits on the rear deck. I'd like to make a platform that crosses the entire beam of the boat, from the transom forward about 14-18". This will give an elevated casting area, allow dry storage, and allow me to put the battery in a compartment. I can also plumb a baitwell with easy overboard access on either the gunnel or the transom.

-Once the rear deck/storage/baitwell is in place, I want to modify the rear poling platform so that it has an additional vertical support/anchor point. It currently sits in two 'receiver' tubes on the transom. Although it is solid and sturdy, I'd feel better if I spread the load over 4 points instead of just 2. I'll probably keep it removable though. I like the fact that I can pull a few pins and pull the tower off the boat.

-DuraBak the interior once all of the additions are done with storage, baitwells, and casting decks. I really liked it on my other boat. The current interlux paint looks pretty good, but it's thin, and it's SLICK!

-Clean up console/gauges and make a nice area to mount electronics.

Possible additions:
-Front casting deck. It currently has a thick aluminum deck that just sets on the boat. I would like to remove the thick aluminum, probably sell it for scrap as it's heavy! I'd like to then add a fiberglass/wood platform up there, maybe a little larger than the current one. This will give me a bigger casting deck, and more dry storage underneath for trolling motor battery, PFDs, etc. To be honest, I'm not even sure if there is a rigging tube up on the bow. I assume there is, but not sure as I didn't even look. If not, no big deal, I can keep the trolling motor electronics all contained on the bow, and one battery for a 12V motor wont affect weight too much.

-Small baitwell/seat on front of center console. I like having a cooler up front, but I also like the ones built into the consoles. I may be ok with just one baitwell in the stern...but on my last boat, I hated when the person on the bow had to come back to get bait. We'll see how my glass work is on the other projects before I decide to tackle this. I dont fish bait very often, usually plastics. But, my family does, so I may end up adding a baitwell. We'll see.

-strengthen/widen the gunnel tops, similar to a Hewes/Maverick/etc, with rod storage underneath. I like having a gunnel that I can walk on. This would be a pretty big project and I doubt I'll get this far, but it would make for a cool little boat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, I've got big plans. Things change, so we'll see how far we get. Like I said, it is fishable 'as is', so I wont be in a big rush to splash it or anything. Much of the work will be done while its in the water. I don't have a lot of money into it, so I can afford to slowly add stuff to it to make it exactly how I want it. Either way, I don't think I'll have much trouble at least 'breaking even' when I'm done with it as this style of boat is pretty popular in this area. Worst case I'll do a few things and sell it for a new project!

I will definitely need help/guidance/opinions along the way. I know a big concern with additions is weight distribution. Most of my plans don't add much weight, or at least counter-balance themselves...so I'm not too worried about that. My biggest concern is doing it correct the first time. I'm not a fan of seeing people just take some plywood, drywall screws, and metal brackets and build stuff on their boats. I want my additions glassed in like they would be from a factory small boat builder. Nothing injection molded, but at least decent. Nothing I plan to add is structural, although some of it may need to hold a person's weight safely...so I may need some tips. We'll cross those bridges when we get there!

I plan to keep this thing updated as I progress!

Tight lines,
SQ

Attachments

• 124 (Large).jpg
    124 (Large).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 125 (Large).jpg
    125 (Large).jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 126 (Large).jpg
    126 (Large).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 127 (Large).JPG
    127 (Large).JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 128 (Large).JPG
    128 (Large).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Project! 1998 Rockport Center Console Flats boat w/ 1999 70hp Nissan

Today I did the following:

-Changed spark plugs
-Removed marine stereo
-Removed about 10lbs of unnecessary wiring
-Diagnosed and temporarily fixed the issues with lights and bilge pump
-Launched and drove the boat for the first time! Ran well, good ride!
-Test fit the boat in my house's boat lift, like a glove!

Next - I'm going to order marine tinned wiring, connectors, and new nav lights. When they come in, I'll rewire everything.

After that, I'll start trying to figure out how to glass in a baitwell, rear deck and storage.

I'll share pics along the way.
SQ

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Is there a way to know if my stringers are still attached? I hear a slapping noise...

Is there a way to know if my stringers are still attached? I hear a slapping noise...

Hey all,

I bought a boat, knowing it was a project - but I assumed the stringers were good. The deck and transom are solid as can be.
It's a 17' Center Console, fiberglass/wood sandwich from a small builder in TX.

However, I went through some fairly choppy water recently. The boat handled it beautifully, but there was an audible noise coming from the bottom side that sounded almost like a stringer was loose and slapping the underside of the deck.

I assume it could just be hull slap due to the design and the way I was hitting the water, but I can't tell for sure. It definitely sounded and felt like something moving right under my feet. I looked around at the rigging tube and wires/cables while underway, and they weren't moving. I also made sure none of my gear on the boat was bouncing, and it wasn't the culprit either.

I don't notice any obvious flex in the sole/deck, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a stringer loose

Is there a way to verify this without causing too much damage to the hull/deck? The deck is solid, and I hate to bother it if I don't have to.
I am planning to add some storage/casting decks to the existing topside, and I hate to do it if I am going to have to pull the floor up. So, I need to figure this out before I move on.

Any insight/tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: Is there a way to know if my stringers are still attached? I hear a slapping nois

Re: Is there a way to know if my stringers are still attached? I hear a slapping nois

Might sound silly, but maybe take your boat to your nearest plumber, pay him a few bucks to use his snake camera to look in there...of course depending on the foam your boat has this may or may not be an option.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

That's a great idea! I wonder if I can rent one of those?

I really don't have any way to see through there unless it fits into the drain plug hole though. There is no access to bilges from the deck.

SQ

JDA1975

Lieutenant

easier to fix one hole, than an entire deck. Renting one would be an expensive route, most places charge 1/2 day minimum and it should only take 5-10 minutes. I bet any decent plumbing company worth their salt has one, and for a small price, maybe free if smaller town, would be willing to do it

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Help me build a casting deck/storage boxes on the stern of my boat

Help me build a casting deck/storage boxes on the stern of my boat

I've got a CC boat without much storage, especially aft. I also want to make a little livewell, and a battery compartment.

As you can see, the battery and rigging is exposed, looks awful, and needs to be cleaned up. I want to add a casting deck across the entire beam of the boat. Port Side I want to put a small livewell, starboard side I will put the battery to offset the weight, and in the center I will have dry storage/additional rigging.

I also want to add a new vertical/diagonal support from my poling tower to the surface of the new casting deck between the storage hatches...so I will need to add backing plates/support to accomodate it.

-What material(s) for the core/structure?
-What mat/glass/cloth do I need?
-What resin/fillers for the glue and 'welds'?

****The exterior will NOT be gel-coated. It will be dura-bak, so I don't have to worry about a smooth finish. The only compartment that needs to be smooth is the livewell.

Here's my boat as it is now (Forgive the mess of wiring/rigging, I'm currently going through the old stuff and removing what isn't needed):
reardeckproject2.jpg

Here's what I want it to look like. Nothing fancy:
reardeckproject2MODS.jpg

Another View:
reardeckproject1.jpg

reardeckproject1MODS.jpg

I've done plenty of paint/body work, know all about prep. I'm competent with woodworking/carpentry, but I've never really messed with fiberglass for structures. I've repaired a few fiberglass cars, but never used it on boats. I'm not familiar with all of the acronyms (CSM?), part #'s (1708?), or anything else I've been reading...although I can pick them up quick.

My biggest concern is the correct way to support this deck so that it can be walked on, and the correct layup of glass and resin to make it strong and durable.

Should I create the whole structure, outside of the boat, and then drop it in, and glass it to the boat as a unit?
Or should I add a bulkhead, then add longitudinal frames dividing the compartment, then add the deck? My only concern with this is being able to glass the top of the frames to the deck while upside down, and glassing the deck to the hull upside down. I guess either way I'll have to work on the deck upside down.

For the livewell, I'm planning to use a small oval trash-can as a plug to create an oval shaped cylinder that is tapered, larger at top. The compartment will be square/rectangular, and I'll just fill the voids with foam and cap the top. I'll figure out the plumbing part later, but I have easy access to overboard drain and fill through the transom or gunnel.

As for the doors/hatches on top, I'd prefer to build some...but I may just use a gasketed hatch like something from TH marine. We'll see.

Thanks in advance!
SQ

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a boat, knowing it was a project - but I assumed the stringers were good. The deck and transom are solid as can be.

It definitely sounded and felt like something moving right under my feet. I looked around at the rigging tube and wires/cables while underway, and they weren't moving. I also made sure none of my gear on the boat was bouncing, and it wasn't the culprit either.

I'm not sure I understand the way you wrote the description. Did you buy the boat knowing it would be your project or that it was the PO's project boat? If this is not something you think you can live with, I mean the feeling like a stringer is doing the Watusi under your boat's deck, I'm guessing you'll have to do some cutting. There is just too much foam and framing to snake a boat IMHO. If the floor and deck is not coming apart as it was in my case you could get a season of boating in before you put the blades to'er.:)

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help me build a casting deck/storage boxes on the stern of my boat

WoodOnGlass,

Thanks for the link! TOns of good ideas in there.

I searched about ten different ways and never had that one show up.

I appreciate it.
Shawn

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure I understand the way you wrote the description. Did you buy the boat knowing it would be your project or that it was the PO's project boat? If this is not something you think you can live with, I mean the feeling like a stringer is doing the Watusi under your boat's deck, I'm guessing you'll have to do some cutting. There is just too much foam and framing to snake a boat IMHO. If the floor and deck is not coming apart as it was in my case you could get a season of boating in before you put the blades to'er.:)

I bought the boat as MY project. I bought it cheap enough to put a floor in it if I needed.

As is, I think it would last a few seasons. However, I wanted to modify it (see my other thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=521744 ), and I hate to make all of the modifications ABOVE deck if I think I may have a stringer issue, ya know? It would be a bummer to cut out all of the stuff I just got finished building.

The winter season can be hit/miss down here, as you probably know. I hate to tie it up all winter, but it's better to get it done now than to miss the spring fishing.

SQ

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Uhhh.. a broken stringer sloshing around... never heard of it, but I guess possible.... They also sell those snake cams at HF for like 60 bucks. I'd drill a few core samples out of the floor and see if it's rotted at all

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking about buying a pair of 6" round inspection/access covers...and putting them in the deck. They are gasketed, and I'm pretty sure they are fairly water tight. That would give me a decent view of the inside of the hull, and could be useful down the road.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

ShawnQ,

You REALLY need to keep all your posts in ONE thread. It really makes is hard for everyone to follow along and help you when you are posting all over the place. You should PM a Moderator and ask them to combine all of your threads into one.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel ya on getting this issue resolved before you get going on the above deck mods. I looked at your other thread with the boat pics and I'd be gnashing my teeth at cutting into that fine looking deck as well. Any chance you could put the boat on hull supports and check the hull for lateral play. I'm guessing you feel the stringer is laying over when a wave hits it just so.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like there is a piece of 2x4 tapping the bottom of the deck when I hit a 1' chop at speed, coming from the after area near where I'm standing.I noticed that the sound was gone in a following sea/chop...but it may because the ride was much softer riding the back of the waves.

I'm planning to take the boat out tomorrow and will do some more experimenting, see if can replicate it and pinpoint it.

I'll post back what I find.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

we need more info in the boat.......that looks like a foam filled hull......chances of the stringers flapping are rare.....the foam holds everything in place......you wont get a cam down there....to use a cam means you think the hull is hollow....and you can see the interior of the hull and where the stringer is tabbed to the hull...that is not true.......the hull is filled with foam...so you wont be able to see anything.....

i would rather think you have a loose cable somewhere.......

a shifting stringer would mean the foam has failed.....the glass around the foam has failed.....and your hull is flexing tremendously....

i dont see it happening.......but anything is possible

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey all,

Since this boat is a "One Off build, by an independent boat builder,it is impossible to know what the structure is below decks unless you contact the builder and get the details. Since your gas tank is below deck it might be that it has broken loose some how and moving around.

we need more info in the boat.......that looks like a foam filled hull...the hull is filled with foam...so you wont be able to see anything.....

i would rather think you have a loose cable somewhere.......

a shifting stringer would mean the foam has failed.....the glass around the foam has failed.....and your hull is flexing tremendously....

i dont see it happening.......but anything is possible

Looks like cables and fuel line below deck,

reardeckproject2.jpg

so OOPS suggestion about a cable flopping, could be a possibilty. The main reason OOPS is having a problem is that you have posted your pics on another thread and it makes it very difficult for all of us to help when your info is scattered. You should contact a Moderator and have your threads combined.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Fuel tank is above deck, under consle, and it's not moving.
All cables/rigging run in a 3" PVC tube, so their ability to bounce/move around is minimal.

As for contacting the builder - they are no longer in business, I tried.

And, woodonglass, I will try to merge my threads. I apologize. I posted different threads because there were different topics. I figured that was acceptable.

Thanks,
Shawn

oops!

Supreme Mariner

take a sponge......and stuff it into each end of the pvc holes.....like a sound barrier. and see if it still flaps as loud as it did before.

the boat has a self bailing beck and there is no bilge....that means foam....solid foam under the deck....kinda like the way the whalers are built.....im betting its a steering cable

Status
Not open for further replies.