Leaking Starcraft

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaking Starcraft

Now most of you know I'm a Die Hard Glasser, but... I think OOPS has been sniffin to much lacquer thinner today!!!!;):p:eek::D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now most of you know I'm a Die Hard Glasser, but... I think OOPS has been sniffin to much lacquer thinner today!!!!;):p:eek::D

You know he's bored (or loopy with glassin compounds) when he starts nosing around metal boat threads.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rivets act like one way valves quite often.
I have tried over and over to find leaking aircraft float rivets. Filling them with water and poking at every one (one at a time) can help find the loose and leaking one, or two, or? But the water weight can hold the rivet against the hull and actually seal, but with the boat in the water can unseat that loose rivet enough to allow water to pass. Re-driving that rivet will usually work, but replacement is not that tough if you can find an aircraft mechanic to assist you.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

You know he's bored (or loopy with glassin compounds) when he starts nosing around metal boat threads.

lol....in a crazy mood this morning.....read amf crestliner

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

Re-driving that rivet will usually work, but replacement is not that tough if you can find an aircraft mechanic to assist you.

My neighbor is a retired Navy vet who was riveter, I'll recruit him!

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

TO THE OP....... please dis reguard this statment and im sorry for your troubles....our guys will get the leaks out of your boat.

to the fourm guys......another leaking tinny? this would not have happened if it was a glass boat that said sea ray on the side.........:D:D:D

No worries, you own(ed) a bayliner capri, you must know what its like to own a problem boat :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

No worries, you own(ed) a bayliner capri, you must know what its like to a problem boat :D

BAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA......yes my friend.....but with just a little work and a few new lungs, i was able to fix it and pick up chicks in it. :D

rrumba

Ensign

man oops! is on a roll today...... give them tinnie guys the business ....:cool:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ROFLMAO...."That is a floating OSHA hazzard"...."Do you like to itch?"
This is still good after 10 views!!!

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

to keep this thread entertaining, its still leaking a fair amount and I have sealed both sides all the way down the seam rivets and all. I taped up the holes in the strakes and sealed about a 1/3 of the rivets underneath near the bow, next step will be to get it off the trailer again and see if I amjust plain missing rivets completely under the trailer supports.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Kindly go back and read my earlier posts in your thread.

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

Kindly go back and read my earlier posts in your thread.

Would like to discuss this fact, and my comments are based on fixing a few Star hulls and direct conversation with a Starcraft design engineer.

There is no reason to drill a hole in a perfectly solid one-piece hull, yet Starcraft did it, and eventually corrected it on the newer models.

STRAKES, answer this question. How would water get into a strake if no drain hole to allow water in was present? Not from the topside. The deadrise allows gravity to flow water downhill to the keeline and out the bilge and/or drain plug.

A hole in the strake allows it to fill with water while the boat is in the water. That is a problem. Go check the aluminum gauge of the hull near your strakes versus the strake itself. The strake is much thicker, like cardboard versus a paper hull. When underway, the thinner hull flexes and water can be introduced thru the rivet channels that attach the strake.

KEELPLATE, older models have the drain hole, same concept. Starcraft admitted the flaw.

Keels in the 90's and early 2000's had an open end in the keel plate(strip). You launch the boat, the keelstrip fills with water, then pressure and flex creates leaks. Starcraft admitted the FLAW, and closed off the open aft end of the strip in current models.

Any hole in the bottom of your "bowl" is a breach.

There is a solution. Just think of closing off the breach in SOLID fashion from the outside. Also, if you have an opportunity to use Gluvit from the inside, concentrate on the rivet channels that attach the keel strip and strakes. Work fast so the Gluvit is the thinnest possible and heat the hull from underneath with a space heater, even on a warm day and let gravity help.

Late, late follow-up, post thread jack, but wanted to report Starman8 nailed it, it was the keel strips!